Regions on DVDs/Blurays.

The Invisible Boy

So as everyone knows Blurays and DVDs have regions on them, we are region B on Bluray and region 2 on DVD. But for some reason I ordered a DVD off Amazon which arrived and when I was looking at the back of the box I noticed it was region 1 (USA) as it said so on the back, but I tried it and it works on my Bluray player which on the back says it plays region 2 and region B.

So why is this? Are regions strict, or are some actually region 0 which will work everywhere but they say they are whatever region the country they are sold in is?

Just a little concerned as I don't fancy having my Bluray player end up breaking if I play it a few times thinking it is alright. And I've noticed a lot of people online seem to be trying to hack their players to be region free or buy players that are region free.

What even is the point in regions on DVD and Bluray disks? There's no regions on CD disks so why on these?

Playing region free or dual region blu rays aint going to do shit to your player.

Oh no it's not region free, it says it's a region 1 DVD but my player is region 2. Tried playing it though and it works fine, just wondering if continuing to do so over the years would damage the player or disk or would it be alright?

Archived