Halloween RAW Guest Host Announced

Snake Plissken

Don't know about any of you but Im excited about this announcement. Also, I thought Jackman did a decent job on Monday night and if they use this VERY sparringly the concept could work.

I thought it has been for about a year now. Most of the ones they've had since then have been good, Jackman included. Decided to stay in tonight and I'm looking forward to this now.

I think that sounds pretty awesome. Although it also has potential to be incredibly awful. I hope they keep them away from the serious fueds and just have them interacting with people like Zack Ryder, Santino, R-Truth etc.

Ten years ago I'd have agreed. Even five years ago, probably. Now? I actually want them involved with the main event guys. Might as well go the whole hog with it.

I dunno, I can see Elmo in Cena merchandise!

Maybe showing my age here but I don't actually remember ever seeing Elmo from the time/was watching Sesame Street pre-Elmo being a big character and the merchandise I had as a kid around 1980-1983 was pre-Elmo being a main character, etc. and only actually 'discovered' the character around the time WWF did that skit with Sunny a few years ago so all the complaints/jokes I've heard about him since are lost on me. Seen him referenced a bunch of times since then but that might actually be one of those wrestling crossover moments where I actually found out something popular from watching the wrestling. After that I suddenly started seeing people pop up everywhere to moan about him but again it's lost on me. From the little bit I've heard Cena would be an accurate choice of comparison although like I said I haven't seen enough to get the hate.

Anyway as Smeg said, I'm sure it will only be The Muppet Show Muppets.

This is genius booking. When The Torkc returned I watched a segment, when the internet was buzzing about Punk I barely watched any of it, but I'm damn sure going to watch an episode of RAW with Muppets in it.

What will be interesting is the Muppet performers are known for being great ad-libbers , and if they go for it I can't imagine many in the WWE right now (used to their scripted promos as they are) being able to keep up.

I hope they do. Be a chance to separate the men from the boys, so to speak.

The Muppets were the Jim Henson franchise that was huge in the 1970s and 1980s, and would be shown in evening prime-time on BBC1. Unlike Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock, which were both always targeted at kids in the daytime, the Muppets were seen as the franchise that the 'whole family' could enjoy. In a way, they were a little bit like Morecambe & Wise, in that famous celebrities would appear on their show and it would be a huge deal, such as Elton John playing a song with all the Muppets playing instruments as his backing band.

Most people of a certain age (probably 30+) can name most or all of the Muppets. Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, Animal, Swedish Chef, Statler and Waldorf, amongst others. Though I'm sure plenty of younger people know of them too.

Agreed. I'd say 30-45 would be the main age group. That said it had a massive comeback in the 90s, along with seemingly everything else that was popular in that 75-86 'era' and combine that with the characters being used in the films (and Kermit, Piggy appearing on every TV show going to promote them) during that time I'd guess a lot of the generation in their twenties know them as well.

It's actually one of the first shows I remember seeing during that original run on ITV (maybe the first) but I was so young at the time that wasn't until I saw the re-runs in the late 90s that I remembered a lot of things, which is another reason I think a lot of the twenties crowd will know them as well at least over here.

The original series was actually broadcast on ITV. It was made in Britain by ITC Entertainment, the same company that gave us such classics as The Saint, The Avengers, Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet, among many, many others.

The 1996 revival, Muppets Tonight, was shown on BBC1.

That is true about the ITV originals, although I thought BBC also showed reruns of them in the late 80s (unless that was ITV again). I'm sure was shown on cable at some point as well. Again was only young when the original series ended but it's one of those things that seemed to be re-shown throughout most of my life. Is any channel repeating them right now?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived