Question about the framing on WWE blurays/DVDs

crazyshady

I've watched a few of WWE's releases onto bluray and and a few of them are the documentary releases. The one i have just watched is Randy Orton The Evolution Of A Predator. Normally when WWE show old clips they put the black bars at the sides of the image or they have some kind of graphic so that they show you the picture in the correct aspect ratio, if your watching in widescreen and you see the WWEHD logo at the top left, that's about as much space as they take up, that logo is just outside the 4:3 frame. Watching these releases i've noticed the bars at the side are much smaller in some clips (maybe filmed in 14:9?) and some other clips are left in the widescreen format. What also surprised me is that these clips don't look weird, the wrestlers don't look as if they have been 'stretched' or look fatter or anything and it looks like they were filmed in widescreen. The Randy Orton one in particular shows a lot of stuff from his Evolution days and it all looks good and the framing is right, the wrestlers are in the centre of the image and everything looks fine. It makes me wonder if WWE has filmed stuff in widescreen before or at least in various different formats. It wont be HD quality but i think some of these shows and events could be re-released onto bluray in their correct aspect ratio.

Or it could be some other reason. Maybe they just got lazy with certain clips and couldn't be bothered adding any bars to the side of the image. But normally you can tell when a 4:3 has been stretched. All this stuff looks fine. I noticed the hard cameras are always 4:3. I'm sure some of the stuff shown like him winning his first world title and the stuff with Evolution, the hard camera was always 4:3 but when they switched to other angles it was widescreen. It looked good.

I made the same point in the comments that don't need a thread thread. Not that I'm bothered about you starting up a thread about it as my question never got answered either.

I wondered whether they'd zoomed in on the clips but it didn't really look like it. The frame rate seemed to be smoother too though that could just be me talking bollocks.

Archived