Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) has Died

Maytrix

Really did come out of nowhere for all the fans etc. Admirable that she kept it so private in such times.

A very rare breed of actress who managed to appeal to multiple generations. Many kids will be upset about this.

Must admit I didn't think she was that age. She always seemed vibrant and youthful, even in recent times.

Genuinely shocked and saddened by this news

I grew up watching her pretty much as I was exposed to the repeats of the Pertwee/Baker episodes she featured in from an early age, thanks to my older brother who was (and still is) a huge Dr Who fan.

It was great to see her career revival on the back of the success of the new series in recent years and she still looked vibrant and youthful as Repoman said.

Very sad

R.I.P Elisabeth Sladen

Awful news, when I heard the news I'd assumed it was something sudden, was even worse when I heard she'd been suffering with cancer.

Sarah Jane Smith was a great character excellently executed. From a Doctor Who point of view, she put a blinding performance in what was widely renowned as the best episode in the history of the show in 'Genesis of the Daleks', and I thought her meeting Davros again after 30+ years a couple of series ago was absolutely cracking.

She will be sorely missed. RIP.

• Paid Members
Absolutely shocked to just hear about this, how upsetting. Feel sorry for the legions of younger fans she's left behind also, she was their hero.

agreed, gutting stuff. I watched alot of old Who as a kid so seeing her reaapear in the Tennant years was fantastic

I was completely shocked when it was reported last night - like others have said, talk of cancer was totally out of the blue. It's rare these days that a celebrity can keep something like this secret, it tends to leak out.

Also, I couldn't believe that she was 63, she looked way younger than that.

Sleep well, Sarah Jane.

Archived