OFWGKTA

Vito

I just did a quick search and was surprised to discover that nobody has mentioned OFWGKTA here.

UNTIL NOW.

Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All, often abbreviated OFWGKTA or Odd Future, are a hip hop collective from Los Angeles, California. Led by rapper/producer Tyler The Creator, the group also includes rappers Hodgy Beats, Earl Sweatshirt, Domo Genesis and Mike G, singer Frank Ocean and producers Left Brain, Syd and The Super 3. The Super 3 is also an electronic musician and produces albums under the name The Jet Age of Tomorrow. As of February 2011, their ages range from 17 to 23 years old. There are two groups inside the collective: MellowHype and EarlWolf. MellowHype consists of rapper Hodgy Beats and producer Left Brain, and EarlWolf consists of Tyler The Creator and Earl Sweatshirt.

Odd Future has released four mixtapes and eight solo albums, all available for free on their website. MellowHype is currently signed with Fat Possum records and are set to re-release their mixtape BlackenedWhite. Tyler also signed a one album deal with XL record label and "Goblin" is set to be released on the 10th of May 2011. They have garnered a cult following, and have been getting press from blogs as well as magazines. Though often labeled as horrorcore, the group have universally dismissed it on Twitter, in interviews, and on tracks such as "Sandwitches".

So far I've listened to and can recommend Domo Genesis' "Rolling Papers", Earl Sweatshirt's "Earl" and the collective mixtape "Radical" all of which are available free of charge from OFWGKTA's Tumblr.

Tracks/Videos:

Taken from the album "Rolling Papers" (Download).

Taken from the "Radical" mixtape (Download).

Taken from the album "Earl" (Download).

Taken from the forthcoming album "Goblin".

Tyler, The Creator and Hodgy Beats perform "Yonkers" and "Sandwiches" at the MTVU Woodie Awards. Midgets, mascots, stagediving and chaos.

I've listened to a lot of their stuff now and so far I haven't heard anything which I'd describe as terrible, I started to lose interest towards the end of Tyler, The Creators "Bastard" last night but that was probably because it was 4AM. Personally I really enjoy their raw home-recorded sound and I like how they've smash-and-grabbed their way into the limelight while giving their music away for free and with nothing more than a relentless desire to succeed.

Archived