Pick Your Power Game Thread

Mike Castle

Now on my phone, will have to be brief. Chris posted a link showing my math was wrong, I used that to make my correction. You're ignoring that.

The 'I've only been scum once' prior to this game was 'I've never been scum before' tried and tested.

Accusing you of scum in every other game I've played. 2 games, one of which I was scum the other I don't recall going after you and if I did I didn't make a big iso read.

I'm not ignoring the link. I think that forced you into correcting your intentionally false maths.

The 'I've only been scum once' prior to this game was 'I've never been scum before' tried and tested.

If you look at my play style, how I'm playing now will almost certainly match up with my non-scum games. It's a relevant defence, I get accused of being scum in nearly every game which is frustrating, but I get involved in play, as you should, and that makes me an easy target to accuse. Last game when I was scum I felt more comfortable in sitting back, because I knew who the scum was (or so I thought) so could easily blend in. In this game - and in my other games - I actually have to scum hunt to win. So that means I have to present cases, and therefore play differently. I'll regret pointing this out in later games when I actually am scum I'm sure, but what the hell.

And your other games? You HAVE gone after me, particularly in the one where you were scum. As you're doing now. Coincidence?

I just read through the 2 games in question.

1) Royal Rumble mafia. I was town. Number of times I voted for you = 0 You were town.

2) Nexus's boring mafia. I was scum. Number of times I voted for you = 0. You were town.

3) WCW/NWO mafia game. I was town. Number of times I voted for you = 2. You were scum.

Ron, every time you bring up meta you get it wrong. I haven't beelined for you every time, in fact the only time I've ever voted for you in the past has been when you were actually scum. Coincidence?

As for your 'play style'. Whenever someone is casing on you, you go hyperdefensive and jump into meta mode. You're doing it again now.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Now on my phone, will have to be brief. Chris posted a link showing my math was wrong, I used that to make my correction. You're ignoring that.

Accusing you of scum in every other game I've played. 2 games, one of which I was scum the other I don't recall going after you and if I did I didn't make a big iso read.

I'm not ignoring the link. I think that forced you into correcting your intentionally false maths.

If you look at my play style, how I'm playing now will almost certainly match up with my non-scum games. It's a relevant defence, I get accused of being scum in nearly every game which is frustrating, but I get involved in play, as you should, and that makes me an easy target to accuse. Last game when I was scum I felt more comfortable in sitting back, because I knew who the scum was (or so I thought) so could easily blend in. In this game - and in my other games - I actually have to scum hunt to win. So that means I have to present cases, and therefore play differently. I'll regret pointing this out in later games when I actually am scum I'm sure, but what the hell.

And your other games? You HAVE gone after me, particularly in the one where you were scum. As you're doing now. Coincidence?

I just read through the 2 games in question.

1) Royal Rumble mafia. I was town. Number of times I voted for you = 0 You were town.

2) Nexus's boring mafia. I was scum. Number of times I voted for you = 0. You were town.

3) WCW/NWO mafia game. I was town. Number of times I voted for you = 2. You were scum.

Ron, every time you bring up meta you get it wrong. I haven't beelined for you every time, in fact the only time I've ever voted for you in the past has been when you were actually scum. Coincidence?

As for your 'play style'. Whenever someone is casing on you, you go hyperdefensive and jump into meta mode. You're doing it again now.

With good reason. I'm not objecting to you making a case on me, but I AM objecting to how you've made that case - with quotes taken out of context, and incomplete quotes.

By saying you've not voted for me is redundant - did you make a play for me in the other two games? Yes, you did. You tried to 'put pressure on me' when you were scum. Kind of like you're trying now. To your credit you've answered most of my concerns about you, but to your discredit you've misrepresented what I've said.

• Paid Members

Vote Count

swiftstrike (3) - Nexus, Chris B, unfitfinlay

Lion of the Midlands (1) - SMS

bristep123 (1) - brownie

Ron Simmons (1) - bristep123

Andrew the Giant (1) - spotlightmagnet1

Not Voting:

Andrew the Giant, Carbomb MA, tom, swiftstrike, Kenny McBride, Lion of the Midlands, Snake Plissken, seph, Ron Simmons

With 16 Alive it takes 9 to lynch.

Day phase ends: 7pm Friday 18th March.

• Paid Members

Bristep, are you using the OMGUS retort for everyone who questions you? Anyway people, we now have just over a day left and the only real wagon that has wheels is Swift so can those who have voted please reiterate why you are voting for him? Are you still solidly behind your vote. Is there anyone else who could contest this lynch as a potential lynchee? We need to start taking action.

I am happy to be the person who places the hammer vote.

Ok, we're getting close to deadline. This is our last full day, if we don't reach a consensus by 7pm tomorrow there'll be no lynch.

Who is everyone's top suspect and who would you join a vote for apart from that? Who do you see as the most likely scum flip this round?

Personally, Ron is my first choice.

I would also support brownie or swift, as I think both have a good chance of flipping scum.

I don't think Lion is a good call, as he seems to be martyring.

Ron to be fair it's a game about figuring out who is scum and who isn't. Of course you are going to get accused of being scum, it part of the basics of the game, if at some point everyone isn't being accused of being scum then something's wrong...

Of course, that's completely fair. It's just the manner which Bristep has done it, he's selectively chosen what words to quote from my posts and it makes me look like scum, whereas if you read the entire quote in context or in full I don't think it does that. It's a false representation of what I've done this game. I'm not annoyed at being accused of being scum, I'm annoyed at HOW he's done it. His justification of "well I was right last game..." is also a little arrogant. Unless, of course, he's intentionally trying to push a mis-lynch.

Missed this last night. I have never used "well I was right last game" as justification for my case. YOU said that you were scum in the last game, I responded and said that I picked you out and pushed you as scum in that game. If anything the last game made me wary of pushing a case on you until I was sure that you were scum. Last time I pulled one thread and it was your reaction that made me believe you were scum. Because of that you were able to rail on me for it being a 'weak case'. That's why I waited this time to make sure I was a) sure and b) had a decent ISO to review and make sure.

And please explain how providing an ISO summary of every post you've made in the game, not just a selection to suit, and providing the post numbers so that context and interpretation can be checked can be a false representation? The parts in bold are my interpretation of the posts I even said so on the post. I haven't misrepresented you at all. You might not agree with my interpretation but then you're hardly likely to turn round and say "yup, looks legit to me".

Bristep, are you using the OMGUS retort for everyone who questions you? Anyway people, we now have just over a day left and the only real wagon that has wheels is Swift so can those who have voted please reiterate why you are voting for him? Are you still solidly behind your vote. Is there anyone else who could contest this lynch as a potential lynchee? We need to start taking action.

I am happy to be the person who places the hammer vote.

I don't believe so, I voted for Ron then he immediately turned and FOS me based my case on him coupled with a post from days ago about number theory which he just happened to have handy (or recalled immediately)?

OMGUS doesn't mean that it's a straightforward "OH MY GOD YOU SUCK", it's a catch all term for a vote or FOS placed simply because the other person has voted/FOS you. It's a very good way of immediately throwing doubt on the case if you counter vote/fos and if you can attach a couple of quotes to it all the better.

I do agree though, we need to get down to agreeing on a lynch.

Are there are bits of Lions play that I don't like and that leaves me thinking that there is something he hasn't told us or he is scum.

This is mostly gut feeling, so I will remove my vote for now, as it appears that we are late on in the day and need to get a lynch.

I don't think my gut feeling is a strong enough case, plus everyone else suspecting Lion has removed their votes, so that means todays lynch will be someone else.

I am not happy with lynching Swift today, so my vote won't be going there, as I am not convinced he has done anything that makes me personally suspect him.

If enough of you suspect him, then go ahead and lynch him, but I am not going to put my vote on someone who I don't suspect and could be a valuable town player.

I will pop back online after work tonight and see who the other main candidates are and place my vote as I see it.

• Paid Members
Honestly, I'm pushing you BECAUSE I disagree with everything you've said. The theory that scum would deliberately put themselves to the bottom of the draft list makes no sense, and I know from the last game that you are smart enough to see that. That's why I've been trying to figure out why on earth you've been so committed to the idea? So far that's the only theory that makes any sense to me.

When did I say that you've done nothing but push this all day? You haven't but it has formed a major part of your posts and is the reason that you are trying to push a lynch on Chris and/or Lion.

Seriously, taking you out of the equation for a second, can give me even a remotely credible reason why the scum would willingly sacrifice the chance of powers in order to create distance?

Out of interest, what information did Chris B provide that nullifies the thought that picking the same numbers is so out there?

Once again this is a major misrep please find even 10% of my posts that are saying that it means they both have to be scum or words to that effect. You can't it isn't there I have not pushed heavily that they are both scum yet this is the accusation you are throwing at me here so PROVE IT.

I dont see how taking me out of the equation at the moment is revelant but here is too POSSIBLE reasons scum might choose the same numbers and note I'm only putting this forward as I have been ASKED to by you not because I'm pushing it as fact.

1 they messed up in the discussion thread, unlikely but we have already seen scum mistakes like the Lawz one in the cowboy game.

2 so that any investigative roles would ignore them and that town would consider them town.

Chris b link to that maths site which Bristep did the calcs off of, Chris argument about the birthdays in a football stadium didn't work for me as the huge amount of people coupled with a relatively small source of numbers 365 days with angeneral range of football going fans of 20-40 Is not that big of a conincedence so I didn't see the relevance to our small sample here but the maths do bare it out.

• Paid Members

Can we drop all the mathematical equations please until we get a flip and preferably a scum flip as it's all irrelevant at this juncture until we have the flip. It just looks like time waisting to me, can we drop this line of thought until the next phase please?

• Paid Members

Snake, who are your main suspects right now? I appreciate you're a replacement but all you've seemingly done so far is appear eager to move discussions on from their current position and not really given your views on who you think we should be targeting. Now of course, it's likely that your motives for this are simply not finding the discussions relevant but there's a risk that it is in order to distance people from figuring out scum; I believe it is to do with you not finding it relevant which is why I'd like to hear some of your opinions

I have to say though if TDK thought he spotted a scum slip and then didn't follow it up with a vote, that is really scummy play so Brownie can you explain why he would have done this?

Obviously you said this in relation to me bringing this issue back up but I would still really like brownie to respond to this

• Paid Members

Well, currently my position is that the only person to me who seems most likely town is Lion. Other than that I would suggest everyone tips the scales for me. I would like to see a response from Brownie on that too.

Unfitfinlay has popped up on the radar currently. I think Bristep is trying to provoke Ron into a scum reaction which while seems slightly scummy is most likely town v town, so I'll keep an eye on that for the moment.

Andrew the Giant is lurking as I have seen him online today, but no content so thats active trying to sail under the radar to me. In fact I think I'll go with a vote for him on those grounds.

Vote Andrew the Giant

• Paid Members
Chris b link to that maths site which Bristep did the calcs off of, Chris argument about the birthdays in a football stadium didn't work for me as the huge amount of people coupled with a relatively small source of numbers 365 days with angeneral range of football going fans of 20-40 Is not that big of a conincedence so I didn't see the relevance to our small sample here but the maths do bare it out.

Way to misrepresent my point.

My point was that the odds are surprisingly good that two players within two football teams will have the same birthday. Not that two people within the same football stadium will have the same birthday.

Now, I agree with Snake that the maths talk is mostly irrelevant. However, I think that as long as it's being used as an argument against me, it's worth my time elaborating on it.

• Paid Members

Oh, I'll also say that the Bristep case on Ron seemed strong to me. Ron's come back with a good defence, but I'd be interested in more people's thoughts on it. I'd rather see swift hanged today, for the reasons I've already laid out, plus him now misrepresenting how I put my maths point across. However, Ron would be an acceptable second lynch to me, along with Lion.

Archived