Thinking of getting a PS3

RancidPunx

Hey Folks.

I used to be a big gamer but havn't had a console since the PS2 and was thinking of getting a PS3 and just had a few quick questions.

Whats the main advantage in getting one with a bigger harddrive? Whats the actual function of the hard drive as it happens?

Can you plug in a USB stick with video files(avi, mpeg, divx etc) and play them directly from the PS3?

What are the "essential" games that i need to get?

Can a PS3 be hacked to run emulators and roms of other consoles?

Hey Folks.

I used to be a big gamer but havn't had a console since the PS2 and was thinking of getting a PS3 and just had a few quick questions.

Whats the main advantage in getting one with a bigger harddrive? Whats the actual function of the hard drive as it happens?

Can you plug in a USB stick with video files(avi, mpeg, divx etc) and play them directly from the PS3?

You can store your music, movies, photos and game saves etc on them and watch/listen to them.

Yes you can, I just download movies/tv shows from my laptop chuck them on the USB then plug it in the PS3 and watch them or just copy from USB to PS3 which saves on the hard drive.

Loads, excellent library of games - Uncharted 2, Super Street Fighter 4, Batman Arkham Asylum, GTA 4, Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid 4, Assassins Creed Brotherhood. There's tonnes more

LA Noire from Rockstar out May is already looking amazing. Crysis 2 just recently scored 9/10 from Edge.

Also there is a PS3 discussion thread here somewhere if you need anymore tips on essential games.

It's very tough, but can be done, however I believe you won't be able to get online because Sony will detect the modded machine and close your account. I don't think it's worth it personally. Just get a modded old XBOX with the ROMS etc

Hey Folks.

You can store your music, movies, photos and game saves etc on them and watch/listen to them.

Yes you can, I just download movies/tv shows from my laptop chuck them on the USB then plug it in the PS3 and watch them or just copy from USB to PS3 which saves on the hard drive.

Loads, excellent library of games

Hey Folks.

I can answer two of those.

The Hard Drive - Demos, Downloadable Content, and media you choose to store all go on the Hard Drive, as well as installed data from PS3 games, so a bigger hard drive is better, if you intend to play demos, download content, store media, and play/own quite a few games.

I use a 4GB USB Stick to play movies from. As long as it's formatted to FAT32, it'll be read. I generally play .AVI files, so yes, that can be done. However, it might seem like the PS3 can't see the files, just highlight the USB Stick, press Triangle, and select 'Display All' or 'Show All', whatever it is, and Bob's your proverbial uncle.

I don't know about the emulation, although the Store does have a selection of Neo Geo games. As far as 'essential' games goes, that would depend on your personal preference.

Edit - Beaten to it. Hopefully it helps, anyway.

Archived