1PW - Road To Destiny [27/05/2011]

1PW

1PW - ROAD TO DESTINY - FRIDAY THE 27TH OF MAY

1PW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT - SEMI FINAL

LIONHEART vs ZACK SABRE JR

Stepping in to replace Martin Kirby in the first Semi Final match up is a man who in the past month alone has toured America working for several major Independent Promotions, has faced arguably the 2 best Junior Heavyweight wrestlers in the world today in KENTA and "Prince" Fergal Devitt, and is himself considered one of the biggest breakout stars in British Wrestling in the past Decade... Zack Sabre Jr!!

His Opponent, the man many consider to be the favourite and most deserving Superstar in the whole tournament, a man who at the start of the year wrestled Jeff Jarrett on the TNA European Tour creating a media storm in the process, and the man UKFF fans voted as the British Wrestler of the Year... Lionheart!!

This is the first ever meeting between these two Superstars and is sure to be one of the most anticipated matches of the entire weekend!!

GREG BURRIDGE vs JIMMY HAVOC

Never has 1PW known a Superstar willing to put there body through so much in order to get the job done. Fresh off a victory over former 1PW World Heavyweight Champion Ulf Herman in February, Hthis Superstar has to be feeling confident about his World Title chances. With a desire to win exceeded only by his pain threshold, he has to be considered the dark horse to make it to the final and cause the upset... Jimmy Havoc!!

There is truly no Superstar who embodies the passion and history of the 1PW name is this man. A 1PW original, a former Tag Team Champion and Openweight Champion, the only title to elude him is the one he now fights for in this tournament. Arguably the most beloved Superstar in 1PW history, he has captured fans hearts and imagination throughout his storied career. Now back from an injury, a new look and new attitude has caused fans to see him in a different light... Greg Burridge!!

With the 4 men involved in the tournament, at this stage it really can be anyones game!

NO DISQUALIFICATION MATCH

VALKABIOUS vs KID KASH

A match which may very well turn out to be the talking point of the entire weekend, will see one man, considered by many to be the hottest new prospect on the British Scene, albeit marred with controversy, taking on an opponent who many feel will hand his opponent an experience he will never forget. Anything can and probably will happen in this one as arguably the fastest rising star in British Wrestling today; M.V.K Val Kabious, takes on the hard hitting former ECW/TNA/WWE Superstar Kid Kash!!

ALSO

A brand new 1PW Openweight Champion will be crowned!!

The Manhatten Project will be revealed!!

ALSO SET TO APPEAR

Noam Dar

Kris Travis

Liam Thomson

Marty Scurll

& MORE!!

Electricity Sports & Social Club

Ellesmere Port

CH1 6ER

Tickets On Sale Here

http://www.oneprowrestling.com/shop1PW/

• 1 month later...

1PW is continuing to push its tag team division.. What better way to add to the tag team ranks by adding The Leaders (Marty Scurll & Zack Sabre Jr) who will make there official One Pro Wrestling Debut on the stacked weekend of May for 1PW - Road To Destiny, 1PW - The Last Stand AND 1PW Unconventional

• 1 month later...

1PW - ROAD TO DESTINY - FRIDAY THE 27TH OF MAY

LIONHEART vs ZACK SABRE JR

Stepping in to replace Martin Kirby in the first Semi Final match up is a man who in the past month alone has toured America working for several major Independent Promotions, has faced arguably the 2 best Junior Heavyweight wrestlers in the world today in KENTA and "Prince" Fergal Devitt, and is himself considered one of the biggest breakout stars in British Wrestling in the past Decade... Zack Sabre Jr!!

His Opponent, the man many consider to be the favourite and most deserving Superstar in the whole tournament, a man who at the start of the year wrestled Jeff Jarrett on the TNA European Tour creating a media storm in the process, and the man UKFF fans voted as the British Wrestler of the Year... Lionheart!!

This is the first ever meeting between these two Superstars and is sure to be one of the most anticipated matches of the entire weekend!!

GREG BURRIDGE vs JIMMY HAVOC

Never has 1PW known a Superstar willing to put there body through so much in order to get the job done. Fresh off a victory over former 1PW World Heavyweight Champion Ulf Herman in February, Hthis Superstar has to be feeling confident about his World Title chances. With a desire to win exceeded only by his pain threshold, he has to be considered the dark horse to make it to the final and cause the upset... Jimmy Havoc!!

There is truly no Superstar who embodies the passion and history of the 1PW name is this man. A 1PW original, a former Tag Team Champion and Openweight Champion, the only title to elude him is the one he now fights for in this tournament. Arguably the most beloved Superstar in 1PW history, he has captured fans hearts and imagination throughout his storied career. Now back from an injury, a new look and new attitude has caused fans to see him in a different light... Greg Burridge!!

With the 4 men involved in the tournament, at this stage it really can be anyones game!

NO DISQUALIFICATION MATCH

VALKABIOUS vs KID KASH

A match which may very well turn out to be the talking point of the entire weekend, will see one man, considered by many to be the hottest new prospect on the British Scene, albeit marred with controversy, taking on an opponent who many feel will hand his opponent an experience he will never forget. Anything can and probably will happen in this one as arguably the fastest rising star in British Wrestling today; M.V.K Val Kabious, takes on the hard hitting former ECW/TNA/WWE Superstar Kid Kash!!

ALSO

A brand new 1PW Openweight Champion will be crowned!!

The New Age Outlaws will be in action!!

The Manhatten Project will be revealed!!

ALSO SET TO APPEAR

Noam Dar

Kris Travis

Liam Thomson

Marty Scurll

& MORE!!

Electricity Sports & Social Club

Ellesmere Port

CH1 6ER

Tickets On Sale Here

http://www.oneprowrestling.com/shop1PW/

I'm back home from the show with my thoughts for anyone who's interested.

First of all, I got there at 5.50, after reading directly from Facebook that doors open at 5pm and the show starts at 6pm. When I go to a show on my own, I don't like to sit around waiting so I always try to time it that I get there as close to bell time as possible (although it should be noted that there wasn't actually a bell there tonight). The doors only opened at 6.10 and the show started at 7. We were informed there was a delay because Greg Burridge was stuck in traffic.

On the way in I heard a little kid ask Danny if Kevin Nash was here, to which Danny replied "he's here tomorrow night, but everyone else is here tonight". It's been well documented that this wasn't the case. A few minutes later, Road Dog, Rhyno, Kid Kash and Lionheart were out signing autographs and taking photos with fans.

First match was a four way to crown a new Openweight Champion. Noam Dar vs Joey Hayes vs Marty Scurll vs Kris Travis. With the talent involved this was never going to be a bad match, and it ended up being pretty good, although I did feel it took a while to leave second gear. Noam got a submission on Marty for the win. With no bell to end the match there was some confusion as to what was going on at the end.

Liam Thompson and Adam Curtis come out to congratulate Dar on the win, then out comes Ruffneck and Keith Myatt to confront them. Curtis says Fight Club are the champs whether they are recognised as such and will call the shots as to when they defend the belts. MOB must face their past if they want a shot at the belts. Out comes Sam Bailey (from Prophets of Liberty) and while MOB were destracted Bubblegum attacks them from behind to start the match. Curtis said that the second wrestler was someone from Myatt's past and I believe that he trained Bubblegum, which does fit in, but there would be many there who would be wondering who that was, what the connection was, etc. After what felt like a long match, Bubblegum scored the win after a run in from Kris Travis. The three baddies beat MOB down before Joey Hayes made the save, supposedly setting up a six man match tomorrow night. However, Joey then attacked MOB too, forming a new stable that Travis referred to as "the future of British wrestling". Somehow this will still lead to a six man match tomorrow, but I'm not sure how.

Next up was Kid Kash vs Val Kabious. It was billed as a no rules match, but Kash said he wanted to beat Val in a British wrestling match. Sorry, but I was bored for most of the match. Kash was an amazing heel the other year in 1PW because he played up to the real hatred many people in the crowd had for him over his match with PAC. It's not the same now and I just get bored with his stalling. Val in my mind is overrated. I'm sure he will be big someday but I've not seen anything in the 1PW matches I've seen him in.

Next up was a "special" match featuring two relatively unknown wrestlers. One was RJM from GPW; I didn't catch the other name. To no surprise this was the cue for The Manhattan Project to make their presence known. Krimson spat "blood" in someone's face before Rhino came out and gored both of them and eveyone in "security". Krimson said their message would be revealed tomorrow night.

Road Dog was out next. He informed us that Billy Gunn had been sent back to America. Liam Thompson came out and the two fought a bit. Road Dog did his catchphrases and said he would take on Fight Club tomorrow. Alone? A new partner? Who knows?

After an intermission, Greg Burridge beat Jimmy Havoc with two powerbombs. It was an entertaining match, but confusing as I'll explain below.

In the main event Lionheart beat Zack Sabre Jr with a frog splash in a very good match. When looking at the DVD boxes they already printed for tomorrow night, it was in black and white that Lionheart vs Burridge would be the final. So it comes to something when I actually though Zack had the win at one point with a near fall. That's a credit to both men. After the match Burridge came out for a staredown. He said Lionheart may well be the future of the business, but he is the present.

All in all it was an enjoyable show. Flawed, but enjoyable. I would pay a tenner for a card like that every once in a while. As a fan of British wrestling I couldn't give a shit DDP, Billy Gunn, etc weren't here. Just give me a good show with the odd import here and there and an ongoing storyline or two to bring me back.

Pet hate 1: I hate it when an audience latches on to something which takes away from the matches. Picking up on something different and then cheering/chanting to "get it over" is something I hate at the best of times, as it gives the impression rightly or wrongly that the fans are only interested in getting over themselves. However, it is particularly annoying when people are chanting the ref's name when two wrestlers are putting on a great match which is being short changed. The ref didn't do anything to garner this reaction, so it is either sarcastic or just something to do for a bit of fun. I've nothing against people having fun but it is something which really gets on my nerves.

Pet hate 2: People posting "in the know" rumours/spoilers. If you have been told that such and such is getting a title win, posting it on a message forum betrayes a confidence or betrayes a confidence on behalf of someone else. Giving it away on a forum, whether spoilers are used or not is a bit of a twatty thing to do as far as I'm converned. If you know something, fine. Keep it to yourself. Despite the fact that I know wrestling isn't real, I like getting lost in the match and not knowing the ending.

Finally, just a word or two about continuity. I thought one of the best things at the last show was Greg Burridge's "heel turn", yet he came out with the furry dice, slapping hands and cracking jokes. Kris Travis was last seen being cheered as he fought all over the Olympia against Kevin Thorne, yet he was out with a bad attitude from the onset.

Anyway, I've gone on way longer than I planned. I'll be attending the show tomorrow, which hopefully will have a bigger crowd than tonight. (I'm rubbish at crowds, but I'd say there were fewer people at the venue than the February show, but there wasn't much between them.)

I'm back home from the show with my thoughts for anyone who's interested.

First of all, I got there at 5.50, after reading directly from Facebook that doors open at 5pm and the show starts at 6pm. When I go to a show on my own, I don't like to sit around waiting so I always try to time it that I get there as close to bell time as possible (although it should be noted that there wasn't actually a bell there tonight). The doors only opened at 6.10 and the show started at 7. We were informed there was a delay because Greg Burridge was stuck in traffic.

On the way in I heard a little kid ask Danny if Kevin Nash was here, to which Danny replied "he's here tomorrow night, but everyone else is here tonight". It's been well documented that this wasn't the case. A few minutes later, Road Dog, Rhyno, Kid Kash and Lionheart were out signing autographs and taking photos with fans.

First match was a four way to crown a new Openweight Champion. Noam Dar vs Joey Hayes vs Marty Scurll vs Kris Travis. With the talent involved this was never going to be a bad match, and it ended up being pretty good, although I did feel it took a while to leave second gear. Noam got a submission on Marty for the win. With no bell to end the match there was some confusion as to what was going on at the end.

Liam Thompson and Adam Curtis come out to congratulate Dar on the win, then out comes Ruffneck and Keith Myatt to confront them. Curtis says Fight Club are the champs whether they are recognised as such and will call the shots as to when they defend the belts. MOB must face their past if they want a shot at the belts. Out comes Sam Bailey (from Prophets of Liberty) and while MOB were destracted Bubblegum attacks them from behind to start the match. Curtis said that the second wrestler was someone from Myatt's past and I believe that he trained Bubblegum, which does fit in, but there would be many there who would be wondering who that was, what the connection was, etc. After what felt like a long match, Bubblegum scored the win after a run in from Kris Travis. The three baddies beat MOB down before Joey Hayes made the save, supposedly setting up a six man match tomorrow night. However, Joey then attacked MOB too, forming a new stable that Travis referred to as "the future of British wrestling". Somehow this will still lead to a six man match tomorrow, but I'm not sure how.

Next up was Kid Kash vs Val Kabious. It was billed as a no rules match, but Kash said he wanted to beat Val in a British wrestling match. Sorry, but I was bored for most of the match. Kash was an amazing heel the other year in 1PW because he played up to the real hatred many people in the crowd had for him over his match with PAC. It's not the same now and I just get bored with his stalling. Val in my mind is overrated. I'm sure he will be big someday but I've not seen anything in the 1PW matches I've seen him in.

Next up was a "special" match featuring two relatively unknown wrestlers. One was RJM from GPW; I didn't catch the other name. To no surprise this was the queue for The Manhattan Project to make their presence known. Krimson spat "blood" in someone's face before Rhino came out and gored both of them and eveyone in "security". Krimson said their message would be revealed tomorrow night.

Road Dog was out next. He informed us that Billy Gunn had been sent back to America. Liam Thompson came out and the two fought a bit. Road Dog did his catchphrases and said he would take on Fight Club tomorrow. Alone? A new partner? Who knows?

After an intermission, Greg Burridge beat Jimmy Havoc with two powerbombs. It was an entertaining match, but confusing as I'll explain below.

In the main event Lionheart beat Zack Sabre Jr with a frog splash in a very good match. When looking at the DVD boxes they already printed for tomorrow night, it was in black and white that Lionheart vs Burridge would be the final. So it comes to something when I actually though Zack had the win at one point with a near fall. That's a credit to both men. After the match Burridge came out for a staredown. He said Lionheart may well be the future of the business, but he is the present.

All in all it was an enjoyable show. Flawed, but enjoyable. I would pay a tenner for a card like that every once in a while. As a fan of British wrestling I couldn't give a shit DDP, Billy Gunn, etc weren't here. Just give me a good show with the odd import here and there and an ongoing storyline or two to bring me back.

Pet hate 1: I hate it when an audience latches on to something which takes away from the matches. Picking up on something different and then cheering/chanting to "get it over" is something I hate at the best of times, as it gives the impression rightly or wrongly that the fans are only interested in getting over themselves. However, it is particularly annoying when people are chanting the ref's name when two wrestlers are putting on a great match which is being short changed. The ref didn't do anything to garner this reaction, so it is either sarcastic or just something to do for a bit of fun. I've nothing against people having fun but it is something which really gets on my nerves.

Pet hate 2: People posting "in the know" rumours/spoilers. If you have been told that such and such is getting a title win, posting it on a message forum betrayes a confidence or betrayes a confidence on behalf of someone else. Giving it away on a forum, whether spoilers are used or not is a bit of a twatty thing to do as far as I'm converned. If you know something, fine. Keep it to yourself. Despite the fact that I know wrestling isn't real, I like getting lost in the match and not knowing the ending.

Finally, just a word or two about continuity. I thought one of the best things at the last show was Greg Burridge's "heel turn", yet he came out with the furry dice, slapping hands and cracking jokes. Kris Travis was last seen being cheered as he fought all over the Olympia against Kevin Thorne, yet he was out with a bad attitude from the onset.

Anyway, I've gone on way longer than I planned. I'll be attending the show tomorrow, which hopefully will have a bigger crowd than tonight. (I'm rubbish at crowds, but I'd say there were fewer people at the venue than the February show, but there isn't an aweful lot to do with them.

Oh I bet there was! ;)

I'm told there was 80 fans in attendance after a mate counted heads, if today gets the same they'll be hard pressed to even cover Nash's fee let alone everything else.

I'm glad to hear the brits kept the end up and put on an awesome show for the fans, the imports sound wasted after 3 didn't do anything but show their face and Kash to bored everyone to death instead of having an arena wide brawl which would have suited his match with Val. The booking sounds awful in some areas.

I counted over 80 and there were some in the bar. I oringinally estimated 100, but more did pile in before opeing bell.

One would hope they would draw considerably more today, but who knows with all the issues that have gone on.

Archived