An Audience with Gorgeous George (New Play, 2015)

Al.Brock

Edinburgh Festival Fringe, 2015

PBH Free Fringe

An Audience with Gorgeous George! 

(The Wrestling Sensation Who Changed a Nation)

A One Man Bio-Play

By Alex Brockie

“I was a star when we still had stars… Not like today where anybody with a torch got themselves a spotlight!” (GG)

Meet Gorgeous George (1915-1963); the first star of American television and the prototype of the modern celebrity... he was also a wrestler. George’s gender-bending persona and outrageous behaviour shocked conservative post-war America and thrust ‘camp’ into the forefront of popular culture. His antagonistic gimmick made him the man America loved to hate and even inspired a young Muhammad Ali to start bragging “I am the Greatest” and “I’m too pretty to lose” after meeting the ‘Gorgeous One’ back in the early 1960’s.  

An Audience with Gorgeous George is presented by emerging Midlands-based theatre maker, Alex Brockie – writer, director, producer and performer. Brockie made his Edinburgh Fringe debut in 2014 with another wrestling inspired play called El Britanico! (Wrestling Reality) which was met with favourable reviews:

‘Check out El Britanico (Wresting Reality), if you are looking for a ballsy, gutsy, feisty fringe show. Alex Brockie (writer, director, producer, actor), packs a punchy performance as British born Mexican wrestling star, El Britanico!’ (Jacqueline Sharp. 98.8 Castle FM - 15.08.14)

Whilst El Britanico! was a dark and uncompromising piece, Gorgeous George has a lighter and more comical tone and serves as a tribute to the forgotten star in what would have been the year of his 100th birthday. 

Venue: Clouds & Soil (Venue 71)

Date: 8-18 August

Time: 15:40

Duration: 45 minutes

Tickets: Pay what you can

Age Restrictions: NONE

Media Contact: Alex Brockie

https://www.facebook.com/aawgorgeousgeorge

Twitter @alexbrockie1

BIRMINGHAM PREVIEW:

There will be a single preview performance of An Audience with Gorgeous George which I also invite you to attend. This will be on Saturday 25th July (7pm) at the Blue Orange Theatre in Birmingham – as part of Birmingham Fest 2015. 

Having seen Alex's previous production at the Stratford Fringe (defnitely NOT about Tommy Billington. Oh no.), I would like to highly recommend his work. I'll be making a huge effort to get to the Birmingham gig.

Archived