Consumer Awareness Forums

DJ Kris

• Paid Members

I'm a little pissed off at the moment. Last year the company I worked for was shut down and a lot of people were made redundant. I was re-employed by one of my bosses other businesses, however several other people were not so lucky. My uncle was one of them, so he, along with one of the others started up their own business in the same line as the company they were laid off from.

Unfortunately someone has decided that they are not some separate business and are in fact the same company as the one that closed and that some sort of a scam as going on. Totally untrue, but this hasn't stopped them posting about my uncles business on a couple of internet forums. I was able to get a couple of things removed, however, 2 weeks ago someone cropped up claiming that the customer recommendations on our website actually belong to another company. This is absolute bullshit.

So last Monday I reported the post, explained it was bollox, etc and a week later nothing had been done. This Monday I sent the admin a PM instead and copied in the report I'd sent a week earlier. Still nothing has happened and now we've lost

Nothing positive comes out of the internet. Stayaway from the internet.

On another note, not knowing what the business is makes it difficult to direct but can 't you put yourself on a more professional website with greater reviews where you can direct your clientel(sp?) to go and give you some feedback?

• Paid Members
Nothing positive comes out of the internet. Stayaway from the internet.

On another note, not knowing what the business is makes it difficult to direct but can 't you put yourself on a more professional website with greater reviews where you can direct your clientel(sp?) to go and give you some feedback?

That's not really the point. The point is a customer googles the company and comes up with not only the official site (which is top of the list) but also the bullshit that someone else has put on a forum. That's where the damage is being done. Touch wood every customer has been 100% satisfied so far, but when you have an anonymous person (who's motivation is suspect to say the least) claiming such reviews belong to a firm that's gone out of business among other things it's obviously gonna cause concern to potential customers, It's just wrong that they can get away with that when its not got any truth to it at all.

When the company closed there was a lot of bad feeling created between my uncle for setting up his own business instead of jumping on board the new one and my gut feeling is that these untrue comments are coming from someone within the new company that my uncle didn't join. It's all very complicated to explain and I chose not to name any company names because having another internet thread come up in a google search wouldn't really help matters, especially one talking about how the company's being slagged of for no reason.

What I really want to know is what rights my uncle has against these sites (or at least the one remaining site) that refuse to remove false information.

Get in touch with a lawyer, if the information is wilfully incorrect you should be legally protected and it will be removed, there is no moderator in this country with the balls to argue with a signed and sealed legal letter.

Edit - Also try a whois search to find out who the web host is, and also send the letter to them, alternatively just E-mail them anyway and explain the situation, sometimes it works.

• Paid Members
Get in touch with a lawyer, if the information is wilfully incorrect you should be legally protected and it will be removed, there is no moderator in this country with the balls to argue with a signed and sealed legal letter.

Edit - Also try a whois search to find out who the web host is, and also send the letter to them, alternatively just E-mail them anyway and explain the situation, sometimes it works.

I'm actually really disappointed that 2 messages sent to the mods were ignored, you'd think it wouldn't take a legal letter. The internets a wonderful thing and it's great that forums exist for the benefit of consumer awareness, but sadly these things will always be open to abuse :(

Archived