WrestleMania

tom

• Paid Members

We are now mere hours away from the biggest event on the wrestling (or at least WWE's) calendar, WrestleMania. And I thought this would be the perfect time to ask a simple question; what does WrestleMania mean to you?

For me, it's very hard to accurately pinpoint it down to one thing, nor would that be accurate either, but at it's most basic level I suppose it is the glitz, the lights, the grandeur and the larger-than-life nature of it; in essence the very thing that, at least for me, attracted me to wrestling in the first place. As a lifelong WWE/F fan, well asides from a few years in which I stopped watching (but we'll get to that later), I suppose the importance of WrestleMania has been hard-coded into my psyche so much so that even if it wasn't so special I would still be conditioned to think so, but there lies the beauty, it IS special and it always will be, even with the most lacklustre of cards it would be.

The WrestleMania's that I have the most vivid recollections of as a child growing up would probably be 9-12 and something must have stuck with me about WrestleMania because it would be the allure and the very name-value of the event that drew me back into being a wrestling fan. For whatever reasons, I stopped watching wrestling for several years and didn't even really think about it either until I would start to hear two of my friends in school talking about WWF an awful lot around late 1999 to early 2000. They would talk about HHH and Rock, and Foley and all sorts of things which sounded cool but still I didn't watch, but that changed when they started to talk about the up-coming WrestleMania and something went off in my head; I needed to see that. So cue me frantically phoning up my grandfather to record WrestleMania 16, and this was the mid-week repeat of the event which was edited and broken up by adverts, but that made little difference. I watched it and, my love for wrestling came back; there were still these super-heroes doing death-defying feats and looking larger than life.

I watched all the shows after that point but also felt that that years WrestleMania, although vastly enjoyable, was more a case of someone looking in from the outside; there wasn't that sense of emotion and meaning to it that would be achieved by having watched the product in the prior months. So with that in mind, I was so excited about WrestleMania 17 because it truly felt like it was my first proper WrestleMania since 'Mania 12, and the card wasn't too shabby either, maybe some of you remember the main event. Rock v Austin was truly what WrestleMania is all about; two larger than life athletes competing for the most coveted belt in existence in a venue fit for kings. Along with millions of other people who watched it worldwide, I felt a sense of magic in the air and the hairs on the back of my neck still stand-up even thinking about it. I vaguely re-called how my brother had been excited about Hogan v Warrior many years prior, and how now years later I was getting the same magical moment that he got as the two biggest stars went head-to-head.

In the years that have followed, there's been many more special moments like Rock-Hogan, HBK-Y2J, WrestleMania XX and most recently HBK-Taker and I also look back at WrestleMania 10, the clash of worlds between LT and Bam Bam at 11, the boyhood dream being achieved at 12, with fondness and love. WrestleMania showcases the best of WWE and wrestling in general, and that's all I can really say.

The opening video of WrestleMania 17 beautifully sums up what WrestleMania means :

What does it mean to you?

Wrestlemania will always be special, when I was a kid I used to dream of been a part of it. It was just more important then any other event, it was the event that everything else led up to.

At wrestlemania 20 it actually felt like I was living my dream when I worked into the MSG, Sometimes thee cards don't thrill me, the feuds are not where they were. For one day a year though I do feel like that kid watching his first mania.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXDJ0H0sZ6E

I guess the best comparison I can give it is to a 'season finale' of a traditional drama series.

You've got the biggest and arguably the best storylines culminating in one show. You know a lot will likely continue. Some answers (results) will be given, some different storylines (feuds) will begin, and characters chop and change.

I love knowing that shit is going to hit the fan, you'll probably get the best matches of the year, and there's a whole higher level of drama to everything.

For one thing the entire road to WrestleMania makes the first three months of the year - a shite, shite time - interesting. The whole week of it is just amazing. It reverts me back to some primitive ultra mark mindset every year without fail. I throw myself into the hype machine and usually always enjoy the build up and the event itself. WrestleMania hasn't dissapointed me in years.

Archived