Job Interview Advice Please?

Kata Ha Jime

Recently I have been after a job with Rockstar Games.

I had to send in a CV/Covering Letter which they liked and sent me an application pack. Along with the usual stuff I had to write a 500 word review on a game I recently played (Arkham Asylum) and a 500 word essay on the driving forces behind the GTA series.

They then got back to me asking me to do a personality test, to find out what kind of person I am (isometric testing?). I completed that then ten minutes later I had an email asking if I could attend an interview. That was last week and my interview is tomorrow, it consists of a 30-60 minute informal interview then a 30 minute game test.

I was fine with that and I don't get nervous but for some reason last night and today I have been apprehensive about it. I bought a new suit as I have two weddings coming up (not mine) so I will look presentable.

I'm unsure what the games test will be, finding bugs in a game? Making sure I can play certain consoles? Proving that I am the worst motor sport gamer?

The position is a games tester and I'm guessing alot of people have gone for it and I really want it, it will get me off of Job Seekers and I will finally have something to do. Does anyone have any advice, or anything? Witty remarks? Movie references?

You will be looking for any probable flaw in the game code that you play.

I suspect there will be bugs that they have delieratly made, so that they can test if people pick up on them. Try as many variables as you can, I'd suggest.

Recently I have been after a job with Rockstar Games.

I had to send in a CV/Covering Letter which they liked and sent me an application pack. Along with the usual stuff I had to write a 500 word review on a game I recently played (Arkham Asylum) and a 500 word essay on the driving forces behind the GTA series.

They then got back to me asking me to do a personality test, to find out what kind of person I am (isometric testing?). I completed that then ten minutes later I had an email asking if I could attend an interview. That was last week and my interview is tomorrow, it consists of a 30-60 minute informal interview then a 30 minute game test.

I was fine with that and I don't get nervous but for some reason last night and today I have been apprehensive about it. I bought a new suit as I have two weddings coming up (not mine) so I will look presentable.

I'm unsure what the games test will be, finding bugs in a game? Making sure I can play certain consoles? Proving that I am the worst motor sport gamer?

The position is a games tester and I'm guessing alot of people have gone for it and I really want it, it will get me off of Job Seekers and I will finally have something to do. Does anyone have any advice, or anything? Witty remarks? Movie references?

Hey, jumped in as I have 16 years in the industry :) Some of this might be all over the place, apologies it's late but wanted to get this in.

The gaming test will be you sat down with something to play, it should be pretty simple but they might want you to keep track of your issues, they will make you sign an Non Disclosure Agreement if it's something 'in progress'.

Your task is to prove that you can spot things and 'report' them in a decent way.

I expect they will have a Q/A session with you afterwards, think about what you want to say (More on this later)

If you find something that you think is a bug, check it again make sure it happens more than once/every time especially if it's a crash, if it's a crash try to make it happen immediately after you reboot, try a few times, if you don't succeed, reset the game/console and try again going to the same place doing the same things. Triple check it.

Look at more than just the game play. A couple of things to be aware of:

- Text - Worth reading to check spelling, punctuation etc.

- Environment - Are collisions on characters/walls ok? Can you find any gaps? If you have limited time and they are sitting in then methodically check a small area, and then move on, but look as if you're being methodical

- Graphics - Do wall/floor textures look suited? Any breaks in the textures? Any in the models around them? Are animations smooth?

- AI - If there are creatures do they react in the way you'd expect? Do characters have suitable AI?

- Sound - Are sound effects you expect playing? Are certain things too loud/quiet?

If you can think about the context of where you are, right at the start of the game are you dying too much? Is the game helping too much/little?

If they give you a pen/paper /computer to report on what you've found then write down the issues you have, give it some organisation for example if you have an idea on how something can be improved write down "Idea" or "Request" if something is a bug then put it down as that and perhaps give it a number or how bad it is and where it happens, so for example:

Issue 1: Crash: Pier

And then describe the bug in the paragraph after.

Issue 2: Running Animation: Breaks when Turning

Once again the description

Always try to be clear on how you describe things, they aren't looking for perfection but they are looking for 'potential' in how you report issues. Oh and what I said about checking back on your work? Always mention if the issue repeats and if you tried it multiple times how many times it repeated. So: "Repeats 5/5 Attempts" is a great way to end an issue report.

You might have to do the above verbally, if that's the cast try to explain your methods and issues the best you can. Don't go through all that 'issue one blah blah'

In the Q/A don't just say the first thing that comes into your head, if they ask what you thought of the game be honest but not to the point where you say "It's shit" talk about the game as if you want to see it getting better, for example if the AI is bad but the Environment looks great, say that, say what you'd like to see the AI do, but don't be all knowing with this information, know it all's are annoying in the test room :)

Do not GUSH over what you see, it's possible they'll give you the next GTA game, Get excited now but leave that excitement at the door, a reputable company like Rockstar won't employ a Fanboy (Try EA or SEGA). They are looking for someone that will blend in to the test room and will get on with everyone.

They will ask if you have any questions, don't just say "when's the next Red Dead Redemption out?" do a bit of research into the company for example Rockstar have various offices all over the place, ask how that works and how the test department fits in. Don't be afraid to ask about overtime, QA usually has lots of it and sometimes it'll be unpaid, find out what sort of contract you would be on (temporary/full time) if you don't know. Don't expect any game answers, they'll be under an NDA so won't discuss them.

Finally, Relax, try to blend in, listen to what they say and take your time with answers, if you're not sure on something say it. Be honest.

Oh and a good firm handshake with non sweaty palms is the key to all interviews.

Archived