General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

According to reports Cineworld are going to mothball their cinemas until at least next spring.  With Bond being pushed back there's almost nothing  (blockbuster wise) being released in the next few months.

Should go the route that Vue have gone and show classic stuff. Until a couple of weeks ago I hadn’t been to the cinema since last Christmas, I’m now onto my third trip in as many weeks this coming Wednesday because they’re showing Akira.

They’ve had the Rocky marathon showing this past week, they’ve got a Harry Potter marathon coming up this week as well as showings of Rocky Horror Picture Show, Scream, Pulp Fiction, Silence of the Lambs and they’ve got upcoming showings of Predator, Evil Dead, Psycho, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Exorcist, I’ve never had the chance of seeing most of those on the big screen without going to somewhere like the Prince Charles Cinema

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's actually Irish-Man, not The Irishman.

STOP THE PRESS.    

"Would you like some magazines to read while Keith Houchen goes through his repertoire of UKFF jokes?"

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Should go the route that Vue have gone and show classic stuff. Until a couple of weeks ago I hadn’t been to the cinema since last Christmas, I’m now onto my third trip in as many weeks this coming Wednesday because they’re showing Akira.

They’ve had the Rocky marathon showing this past week, they’ve got a Harry Potter marathon coming up this week as well as showings of Rocky Horror Picture Show, Scream, Pulp Fiction, Silence of the Lambs and they’ve got upcoming showings of Predator, Evil Dead, Psycho, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Exorcist, I’ve never had the chance of seeing most of those on the big screen without going to somewhere like the Prince Charles Cinema

They've definitely been showing classics however by all accounts it hasn't been massively successful. I imagine that stuff just doesn't appeal on a mass scale especially during a pandemic. I'm sure most would rather watch from the safety of their own homes.

I'm the same and I love going to the cinema. So many of these classics I've never seen on the big screen but going to the cinema just isn't a priority for me right now. Bond might have got me there but hell I even chose to skip Tenet and I've been hyped for that for ages. 

Unfortunately in circumstances like the last six months a cinema trip is one of those things that is very easy to say no to.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Have they been busy? I went to see Carrie in my local Vue yesterday and was one of three people. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

They have been, that's essentially all they can show at the minute as the new releases since the summer have been Tenet, New Mutants, and the latest Cats and Dogs.  I think that's essentially it.

I used to go to the vast majority of classic screenings during happier times and the only one that attracted more than a handful was the Alien 40th and maybe Halloween on Halloween.

4 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Unfortunately in circumstances like the last six months a cinema trip is one of those things that is very easy to say no to.

Yeah, cinema was one of my great escapes.  We all had unlimited black cards, but you couldn't pay me to sit in a darkened room with a bunch of randoms at the moment.

I did look at Cineworlds listings (there’s one across from where I work) and they weren’t showing anything outside of the very released there have been this year. Could be different stuff in each town, but nothing in the way of “classic” stuff was showing here.

As for being successful or not, I was the only one in Empire Strikes Back the other week, but Pulp Fiction had about 15 or 20 in, which is about as busy as it ever is, and Akira seems to be selling well. Very rarely do I see a cinema packed out for something that isn’t a Marvel/DC movie

Edited by WyattSheepMask
  • Paid Members
16 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I did look at Cineworlds listings (there’s one across from where I work) and they weren’t showing anything outside of the very released there have been this year. Could be different stuff in each town, but nothing in the way of “classic” stuff was showing here.

There's some regional variation, but they're showing Akira in over 50 of their cinemas (virtually all of the large ones).  Rocky 3, as this week's Rocky re-release, is on in the vast majority of their cinemas including both of my locals.

• Paid Members

I have mixed feelings about the state of cinemas right now.

Since I've been able to go back, with my daughter I've been to see Jurassic Park and The Empire Strikes Back, neither of which I'd ever seen at the cinema, and go and see Into the Spider-Verse again, which has been given another run.

I went to see Memories of Murder last week at Vue, which is getting a remastered cinema run right now. At multiplexes I've been able to see Les Miserables and Schemers, two films that never would have seen the inside of a multiplex this time last year. Meanwhile, HOME in Manchester has started showing films earlier in the day, meaning I've been able to go there twice since they reopened (for Make Up and On the Rocks), and I'm going again tomorrow to see Eternal Beauty. I only got to go there twice in the whole of last year.

Clearly, showing lots of old films isn't a sustainable model for long-term financial succes for cinemas but there is interest in them and HOME has been busy on both occasions I've been there. Because there have only been a handful of major blockbusters released since reopening, there have been slots available for films that never would have got a look-in. On the one hand, the current situation is going to be a real boost for independent and foreign language cinema, and also for independent and art cinemas as more people go to those looking for stuff to watch.

But if the cinemas don't stay open, then the situation becomes bad again. Obviously lots of people will lose their jobs, which nobody wants to see, but I do wonder if this will lead to a change in cinema-going and cinemas themselves. We might see less multiplexes and more smaller sites like Everyman doing better with slightly more curated offerings. I think Vue have been great since they reopened with their selection, but how long could it last? I hope it does because, right now, I'm really enjoying the access to titles that I would rarely have got until the last couple of months, even if I do miss snaffling a good blockbuster in the process. It's the most I've enjoyed going to the cinema since I was able to start going again in 2015.

I went to see Tenet a while back but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t more about the Ice cream, nachos and Ice Blast. You’d think that cinemas are goosed in the short to medium term. Personally and selfishly I hope it brings a higher profile to smaller films that have been getting the shaft for years but it depends on how well that market has been doing out of streaming services.