General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• 4 months later...

I just discovered there is a 'Bad Santa 2' coming out this week, 13 long years after the first one.

I hated that first movie.

If you remove all the made-for-TV crappy stuff, that is my least favourite proper Christmas movie ever, (including National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 2).

The first half hour when they are showing what a total piece of shit Billy Bob Thornton's character is was enjoyable, but then he doesn't change his ways or have any kind of epiphany - all the while a young kid and a beautiful woman fall in love with him.

I liked John Ritter and Bernie Mac in their supporting roles though.

• Paid Members

I have a shameful love for Bad Santa — I can't count the number of times I've forced friends and loved ones to watch it with me.

Related: Billy Bob Thornton must have a Batista-sized slingblade in his trousers, based on the women he's lured into relationships with him, despite the demeanour of Bob Holly and the looks of a long-time Aerosmith roadie.

• Paid Members

No offense Steve, but I think you have a very different shame threshold to most.

I do like Bad Santa, though.

Exactly. For example I enjoyed the Charlie's Angels films (although not seen them in over 10 years), Bring It On and Coyote Ugly. I'm also a straight male and father of 2

• Paid Members

Me and Bad Santa don’t get on. That was the film that made me feel how Cartman did about Family Guy.

All my mates were like “You have to watch this! YOU of all people will be in tears! It’s so your humour! Etc etc” And I didn’t chuckle fucking once.

Maybe it was built up too much or maybe it just hit home that I have a remedial, juvenile sense of humour and I sulked over it, but either way, I watched it once and haven’t watched it again.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Me and Bad Santa don’t get on. That was the film that made me feel how Cartman did about Family Guy.

All my mates were like “You have to watch this! YOU of all people will be in tears! It’s so your humour! Etc etc” And I didn’t chuckle fucking once.

Maybe it was built up too much or maybe it just hit home that I have a remedial, juvenile sense of humour and I sulked over it, but either way, I watched it once and haven’t watched it again.

I am the same. Bought it as I heard so many good things about it and felt exactly the same.

Saying that, I thought The Big Lebowski was overrated so maybe it has something to do with my sense of humour? 

• Paid Members

The Big Lebowski is overrated though. It's an excellent filmand one of my absolute favourites, but it is overrated and its usually done so by people who've done a semester of Media Studies and suddenly think they're Scorsese because they've heard of Mise En Scene and you haven't

I though Mise En Scene directed Taxi Driver*

*I got a degree in Media Studies

The Big Lebowski is overrated though. It's an excellent filmand one of my absolute favourites, but it is overrated and its usually done so by people who've done a semester of Media Studies and suddenly think they're Scorsese because they've heard of Mise En Scene and you haven't

I though Mise En Scene directed Taxi Driver*

*I got a degree in Media Studies

So did I