General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

I've seen absolutely nothing of her sketch show, but I thought she was excellent in Trainwreck. I've seen her in interviews where when she drops the slutty act, she comes across very well. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

I've enjoyed what little I've seen of Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids, The Heat & Spy), Spy was great but helped by Jason Statham being fantastic. I understand the criticisms of comedy actors essentially playing the same role in different films but it assumes they're being offered a variety of different scripts & just choosing to do the same shit over & over. I'd wager that 99.9% of the roles put forward are doing the schtick that's got them there in the first place.

Also, anyone saying Sarah Millican isn't funny is wrong. She's provably funny, she might not be to your taste but that doesn't mean she's not good. This argument is essentially 'Cena sucks'.

• Paid Members

She looks like Ricky Gervais to me, in Bridesmaids anyway. Women comedians and actress' in general arent funny are they?

Kristen Wiig

Amy Poehler

Sarah Millican

Whoopi Goldberg

Mindy Kaling

Your Mum

All of the top of my head. There are plenty more, I assure you.

Take Amy Poehler off that list and I honestly wouldn't know if you were agreeing with him or not. Sarah Millican and Whoopi Goldberg!!!

But yeah, it's a stupid thing to say and comments like that are the reason that everyone who finds the trailer terrible is being labelled as sexist.

To throw in some more. Danielle Ward, Victoria Wood, Isy Suttie, Josie Long, Caroline Quentin, Tina Fey, Shelley Long, Sara Pascoe, Julie Walters, Celia Imrie, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtin. God knows how many more. All really talented and very funny.

McCarthy is shite though, the Chris Farley comparison is rather spot on. Schumer can fucking do one. Not my style at all, but she has an audience, much like shitarse Sarah Silverman does.

Edited by WWFChilli

• Paid Members

I absolutely fucking cannot stand her. I thought her good in The Nines and I really enjoyed The Heat, but that was mainly because of Bullock.
McCarthy essentially plays the same character in about 90% of her performances, and her performances are getting more and more obnoxious and phoned in as time goes on. I understand she's funny to a lot of people, but I just find her septic.

Amy Poehler is tremendous. She is just naturally funny, likeable and ludicrously attractive too, which is always nice...

Sandra Bullock is very, very funny in interviews and when she needs to be in movies too.

EDIT - Gilda Radner is a great shout. Absolutely joyous to watch.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Malbranque knows! People should really seek out Gilda Radner. Doesn't get a sniff of the credit for how influential and good she was. Phenomenal performer.

I think she gets a lot more credit over in the states because she was far more visible in SNL. Her work over here was limited to her films with Gene Wilder and a few cameos wasn't it?

• Paid Members

Malbranque knows! People should really seek out Gilda Radner. Doesn't get a sniff of the credit for how influential and good she was. Phenomenal performer.

I think she gets a lot more credit over in the states because she was far more visible in SNL. Her work over here was limited to her films with Gene Wilder and a few cameos wasn't it?
Aye, you're probably on the ball with that. She's worth seeking out to anyone who hasn't seen her work.

Slapnut, was going to mention that. It's a fantastic sketch piece, absolutely zero dialogue. Just great physical comedy.

The lack of a proper SNL over here has always confused me. The concept would be be piss easy and yet all the attempts have been meddled with bollocks concept tweaking and awful casting.

Edited by WWFChilli

• Paid Members

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is great in everything I've ever seen her in, Seinfeld, Curb, Veep, Arressted Development. Owns all her scenes and has incredible delivery, not sure if she writes much though?