General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

I can't wait for this film, one of the best trailers i've seen in a while (There were rumours on twitter last night that there is a US and a UK version of the trailer with slight variations. Anyone know if that's true?) When I was younger I always thought the gas mask type thing on the Space Jockey was actually a dead spacehugger still attached to him

That's probably due to watching a pan and scanned 4:3 copy on a shitty tv; the way we all watched films when we were kids. I watched the film off the DVD restoration on a good tv last week, and it's much more clear that that's part of his skeleton, and there's a whacking great hole in his chest where a chestburster has come out.

It looks far more like piece of the suit in the background stills. Cant wait to see what they look like size-wise because they looked fucking huge in the original Alien film

Ridley used kids in small space suits to get the set to look twice as big (and it was fucking big anyway). I do worry that the inevitable CGI sets aren't going to look as good as the originals from the 70s.

I do worry that the inevitable CGI sets aren't going to look as good as the originals from the 70s.

Thankfully, it's Ridley Scott directing Sci-Fi, and he's got a pretty good track record in that department. I find it unlikely that he'll CGI the shit out of everything.

• Awards Moderator
I can't wait for this film, one of the best trailers i've seen in a while (There were rumours on twitter last night that there is a US and a UK version of the trailer with slight variations. Anyone know if that's true?)

That's right, yeah, there's an 'International' trailer that's not quite the same.

Also, for those interested, HERE is Empire's in-depth trailer breakdown. BEWARE POTENTIAL SPOILERS.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
I can't wait for this film, one of the best trailers i've seen in a while (There were rumours on twitter last night that there is a US and a UK version of the trailer with slight variations. Anyone know if that's true?) When I was younger I always thought the gas mask type thing on the Space Jockey was actually a dead spacehugger still attached to him

That's probably due to watching a pan and scanned 4:3 copy on a shitty tv; the way we all watched films when we were kids. I watched the film off the DVD restoration on a good tv last week, and it's much more clear that that's part of his skeleton, and there's a whacking great hole in his chest where a chestburster has come out.

It looks far more like piece of the suit in the background stills. Cant wait to see what they look like size-wise because they looked fucking huge in the original Alien film

Ridley used kids in small space suits to get the set to look twice as big (and it was fucking big anyway). I do worry that the inevitable CGI sets aren't going to look as good as the originals from the 70s.

The hole in the chest was always the reason I thought it was a facehugger on him. The two pics I posted are the infamous forced perspective Kid shots but according to stuff i've been reading all day in work (slow day) They are making them look far smaller than in the original film.

The good news is that according to imdb (yeah i know) "During production, Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof kept the use of computer-generated imagery as low as possible, using CGI mainly in space scenes; Scott recalled advice VFXpert Douglas Trumbull gave him on the set of Blade Runner: "If you can do it live, do it live", and also claimed that practical VFX was more cost-effective than digital VFX. "

• Paid Members

The one thing I'm confident about a Ridley Scott film is that it will look great (the trailer, for example, looks fantastic). I'm trying my best to avoid spoilers (although we all knew about the Space Jockey tie-in years ago), but it's getting harder because the trailers are brilliant.

Any murmurs of a sequel if this goes well?

• Paid Members
The one thing I'm confident about a Ridley Scott film is that it will look great (the trailer, for example, looks fantastic). I'm trying my best to avoid spoilers (although we all knew about the Space Jockey tie-in years ago), but it's getting harder because the trailers are brilliant.

Any murmurs of a sequel if this goes well?

Cobra mentioned an interview with Ridley Scott last month where he says he's already thinking about what he could do with Prometheus 2 but, as with most things these days, if it makes enough money, I'm sure a sequel/franchise will appear.

Really? Hah! Why do actors leave these things so late? At 68, he's a bit old to be playing a cop and do action sequences.

I always enjoy when actors and especially directors get to about 70 and (as Ridley Scott seems to have done) suddenly realise that if there's something they still want to do in their careers, they'd probably better get on with it. Hence Prometheus and the Blade Runner sequel.

• Paid Members
Really? Hah! Why do actors leave these things so late? At 68, he's a bit old to be playing a cop and do action sequences.

I always enjoy when actors and especially directors get to about 70 and (as Ridley Scott seems to have done) suddenly realise that if there's something they still want to do in their careers, they'd probably better get on with it. Hence Prometheus and the Blade Runner sequel.

And everything Stallone's done for the last 6 years.

In what way, I wonder, is Peter Weyland related to Charles Bishop Weyland, the billionaire explorer who dug into the Antarctic pyramid in Aliens v Predator? His son, perhaps? I'm hoping there's a piccy of Lance Henriksson in his office at least.

• Paid Members

Ridley Scott is already casting for his next project which is an original script by Cormac McCarthy (which means it'll be fucking brilliant).

Well seeing as Prometheus presumably takes place hundreds (perhaps thousands) of years after AVP I'm guessing he's a distance ancestor of Charles Weyland. Although Ridley and Lindelof are ignoring everything that came after Alien from the sounds of things so there will probably be no links to the other movies whatsoever.