General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Call me Bellend said:

I've always liked Jim Carrey''s performance as Andy Kaufman, this documentary about it looks like it's going to be great. 

Man on the Moon is a favourite of mine and probably his greatest role. I loved Andy in Taxi as that was all I knew and his story and life are fascinating. I remember reading Bob Zamuda's original book which I recommend.

this looks remarkable 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Watched it on my own with 1 other person in the cinema on a Tuesday afternoon at 1pm, whilst bunking off from my work experience placement, so the movie will always be special to me.

Still love the scene where he reads the entire book (The Great Gatsby?)

You're correct. If you ever watch the real Andy, Jim's impression of him is spot on. I love the Kaufman conspiracies of him faking his death and him making a triumphant return and the whole Tony Clifton thing. It was my first Paul Giamatti film as well who was also superb. Heck, even Courtney Love was good in it.

I remember at the time of filming of Lawler breaking Carrey's neck and not knowing if it was real or not, just as he had done back in the 80's. The blur between truth and fiction is the most interesting aspect.

Man On The Moon is criminally underrated or at least underseen

• Paid Members

I absolutely love Andy Kaufman, and the whole blur between the real guy and the performer, so this documentary is right up my street.

The "reading from the Great Gatsby" act is one of my favourite ever bits of stand-up/performance, it's an absolute masterclass in getting the crowd in the palm of your hand.

I love the Kaufman faked death conspiracy, and that Tony Clifton started popping up years after Kaufman died - simultaneously keeping up the pretense that Clifton and Andy were separate people, but also alluding to that rumour. Only Andy Kaufman could keep working people decades after he died.

Clifton in Taxi is a great story, too - Kaufman insisted that Tony Clifton be signed to a separate contract, absolutely refusing to admit that he was playing him. "Clifton" showed up late and making a ton of demands, and Andy Kaufman insisted that Clifton be fired for being so unprofessional - "Clifton" gets fired in front of a crowd of people, creates a huge scene, throwing a tantrum and storming out. When filming for the next episode starts, Andy Kaufman shows up to work and acts as if nothing ever happened.

• Awards Moderator

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I've been very disappointed in recent years to find out Jim Carrey seems like a total dickhead in real life, but that looks great and I will still enjoy it.

I don't think he is. I mean he's a comedian which normally means they struggle in life mentally. I just think he's become completely jaded with Hollywood and when you tend to speak out or no longer confirm your classed as troubled and blacklisted.

or he could be a right twat and I shouldn't be defending him