General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What is it you have always hated about him? His is a name I'm familiar with, but I've never known anything about him personally. Is he generally reputed to be a piece of shit before all this or what?

I'm not keen on people who are all about money and power anyway but he's always been a vile bully who's mad aggressive.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-harvey-weinstein-rise-fall-20171008-story.html

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What is it you have always hated about him? His is a name I'm familiar with, but I've never known anything about him personally. Is he generally reputed to be a piece of shit before all this or what?

I think before the sexual assault allegations he was hated. Been known to tinker with films/threaten not to release them unless his suggested edits were made. I know that TS Spivet was one such film. One I really enjoyed but he bought and then put on the shelf for 18 months in America because the director refused to make his edits and eventually got a very short and limited release. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Completely aside from the sexual assault stuff, there are two sides to the Weinstein story. You always hear about the allegations of them fiddling with movies and taking creative and post-production control from directors, some of which would certainly seem to be true.

But really, they're not the only movie bigwigs to have done this in history. The Weinsteins have also been responsible for the distribution, rediscovery and funding of some of the most highly thought of films of the last 30 years, and I think that story needs to be told more.

• Paid Members

Like I say, I'm aware of the charges that have been levelled against them by certain filmmakers but like I also say, a lot of films and filmmakers owe their success and even existence to Miramax and the Weinstein Company when they had been sidelined by other studios and distributors.

• Paid Members

By all accounts he's a scumbag and has always been a bully to male and female staff. He's probably no more obstructive in the production process than other big studios ( Disney firing directors mid way through production on Marvel / Star Wars films, Fox making Fantastic Four the mess it was or pushing Fincher to the brink with Alien3, WB reshooting half a movie that's due to be released next year. It's just far easier to show when it's with someone so front and centre in the production company ( or if the production company has your name in the title) 

7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Like I say, I'm aware of the charges that have been levelled against them by certain filmmakers but like I also say, a lot of films and filmmakers owe their success and even existence to Miramax and the Weinstein Company when they had been sidelined by other studios and distributors.

I like the Good Will Hunting story of how Affleck And Damon wrote a one page sex scene between the Robin Williams and Super Stellan characters in the original script.  Harvey Weinstein was the only person they met who asked what the fuck it was all about, they knew they wanted him to make their film as they knew he had actually read the script.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Help a bollock out, is it one of those tin-eared spoiler-filled efforts?

Still haven't been arsed enough to watch the latest Spider-Man because of that very reason.

The trailer? Apparently the director Rian Johnson has warned against potential spoilers in it so you might want to be wary. It makes it look like it gives away several big plot developments - but I think that might be deliberate sneaky trailer editing from two totally different bits of the film.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Oh, well if the director is saying to stay away I'll probably give it a miss. Now to spend the next two months missing the trailers at the pictures.

This is the first time I am going to try and avoid a Star Wars trailer. The next 2 months is going to be a little like that episode of The Likely Lads