The 2007 UKFF 50

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

Well, the votes have been received, collated, sorted and counted, and I am now in possession of the final standings for the 3rd annual UKFF 50.

I'd just like to thank everyone who contributed and helped make this possible, since the more opinions and experiences we have going into the list, the better and more accurate it will end up being.

I was content with the way the voting went. There were obviously some instances of people voting heavily in favour of particular promotions (which may have been suspicious, or may have simply been because that's all they've seen) but nothing to distort the overall picture. We even had wrestlers voting for themselves, since there's nothing to stop them doing so. Overall, I'm happy that the 50 we ended up with, and the ranking in ended up being sorted into, was pretty much a good one.

The aims, objectives, criteria and methods that have been used in collating this year's UKFF 50 can be found here:

Introduction, Aims, FAQ and Stage One

Stage Two

Final Stage

Briefly, this was a project to determine what the UKFF considers to be the top 50 "workers" in British (and Irish) wrestling. I will be revealing the results over the next week or so, in this thread.

And with that, ladies and gentlemen, I present the 2007 UKFF 50:

ukff502007ad0.jpg

No. 50 - Zack Sabre Jr

2006 Ranking: Not Listed

2005 Ranking: Not Listed

Moving Up

sabrejr.jpg

Photo - www.triplexwrestling.co.uk

A first entry to the UKFF 50 for Mr Zack Sabre Jr. The NWA-UK star has been the proud holder of the NWA UK Jr Heavyweight Title, and the last 12 months has seen him branch out from the south-east more than ever before. A regular performer for Coventry's Triple-X Wrestling, where he has been involved in technical masterclasses (such as his February 2007 bout with Ashton Smith) and brutal tag team wars alongside his regular partner, and fellow NWA-UK wrestler "Suicidal! Suicidal! Suicidal!" Jimmy Havoc (such as those against Adam Shame and Falcon in April, and eXodus and JekkeL in June).

Sabre Jr also appeared on the afternoon "British Wrestling United" bonus card on the day of the "National Under-23 Championships" in Ware, Herts last November. Billed as a Triple-X guest match, he and Havoc (collectively known as "Un-Named Team #47") took on exOdus and JekkeL in a bout that opened many an eye to the whole TXW attitude. From there, he went on to clash with exoDus again on the IPW:UK's "The Dome Show" in Colchester in December, before entering an impressive performance as a last-minute replacement in the Deathmatch tournament in XSW's "Gorefest" tournament later that night.

He has also headed north, making his 3CW debut as one of 30 men lost among their disappointing 2007 Free For All rumble match in January in Billingham, before gaining what seems to be a regular place on their roster as part of an "emo"-themed faction led by Sean Anthony David.

Also taking in LDN dates, the youngster will look for his sharp mat skills to take him further in the year ahead.

Edited by UK Hat Guy

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

No. 49 - Steve Grey

2006 Ranking: Not Listed

2005 Ranking: 14

Moving Back Up

Steve%20Grey%20promo%20pic_jpg.jpg

(Photo - www.ldnwrestling.com)

British wrestling legend may have had his prime during the 80s and 90s, but has continued to earn both respect and acclaim with fine performances throughout the last 12 months.

A staple for the traditional Premier Promotions, LDN's emphasis on restoring old school British wrestling to the fore have seen him return to the lime light as tens of thousands of viewers tuning into LDN Capital TV have been enthralled by his magical performances. Most notably, Grey went to to the semi-finals of LDN's "Golden Grappler" tournament, losing out old rival Johnny Kidd in Waltham Abbey in June.

Grey also appeared to be on the verge of debuting for the up-scaled Real Quality Wrestling, as he was scheduled to take part in December's RQW British Heayweight Title tournament, before injury forced him to pull out. From there, it looked as though he would be joining forces with Jody Fleisch to take on the Hated Heroes (Aviv Maayan and ANDY SIMMONZ!!), but for some reason it never happened.

Still able to command attention and deliver in the ring, Grey may have scaled back his appearances, but his return to high profile situations sees him return to the UKFF 50 after a one-year absence. Don't bet against him holding a spot next year, too.

Edited by UK Hat Guy

I haven't been following this at all so I might seem a twat here but where are the other 49?EDIT: I see you are going to post them bit by bit. I wonder how long it is until you get annoyed and start posting them 5 or more at a time.

Edited by Turnbucklepads

• Paid Members

No. 48 - Johnny Kidd

2006 Ranking: 39

2005 Ranking: 8

Moving Down

n792520351_806437_5877.jpg

Photo - Rob Brazier (Right, with Sanjay Bagga)

Earning a spot 1 ahead of his long-time rival and fellow veteran Steve Grey, Johnny Kidd makes his 3rd consecutive UKFF 50 appearance.

Much like Grey, Kidd's prime years are long gone, yet he still is able to captivate and entertain with his strong traditional Britsh-style wrestling. In another similarity to Grey, Kidd has been at the forefront of LDN's attempts to re-establish the good old "2 falls, 2 submissions, or a knock-out".

Took on Majik in a cracking old-school mat battle for LDN last year, before going through all 3 rounds of LDN's Golden Grappler tournament this year, defeating Dropkixx star and LDN fan favourite Yorghos in the final in Enfield in July.

Will surely play a major part in LDN's British Legends show in November, as well as the hype surrounding it.

Edited by UK Hat Guy

We even had wrestlers voting for themselves, since there's nothing to stop them doing so.

That's great, I'd love to know who did. Stixx made a point of saying on here that he'd be embarassed to vote for himself.I saw Zack Sabre, Jr. in a great match in 2006, as well as a shockingly bad one, and the once or twice I've seen him this year have been meh.Kidd and Grey - it actually disturbs me that they aren't both higher, especially Kidd. At least they're in there, mind. If Max Voltage is higher than them I reckon I'll cry. Edited by The Dart

Dunno whether you would consider it, Hat Guy, but it would be interesting if you would note beside every entry who voted them the highest in their individual ballot.This was something that the Smarkschoice forum did when they did their countdown of the best wrestlers ever, and I found it quite interesting. For example, Steve Grey might be #49 in the overall ranking, but someone may have voted him #1 or #2 in their list, and that would be a nice addition to the countdown to be able to see that. Perhaps you think the voting should remain anonymous - but it's just an idea.

Dunno whether you would consider it, Hat Guy, but it would be interesting if you would note beside every entry who voted them the highest in their individual ballot.This was something that the Smarkschoice forum did when they did their countdown of the best wrestlers ever, and I found it quite interesting. For example, Steve Grey might be #49 in the overall ranking, but someone may have voted him #1 or #2 in their list, and that would be a nice addition to the countdown to be able to see that. Perhaps you think the voting should remain anonymous - but it's just an idea.

While you're here, I totally suggested to UKHG the other day that there should be a $&M tie-in with this whole thing somewhere...somehow. Not that I want his ginger ego being over-inflated after that ridiculous piece in Fighting Spirit, mind... ;)

While you're here, I totally suggested to UKHG the other day that there should be a $&M tie-in with this whole thing somewhere...somehow. Not that I want his ginger ego being over-inflated after that ridiculous piece in Fighting Spirit, mind... ;)
ALLEGEDLy he's not ginger! Edited by hitman89762000