Mr. Seven

The Song Of The Day Thread

It's about time we had some Nick Cave in this thread. Good work.

This here is my favourite track of last year, by Lambchop off the criminally overlooked album Damaged. For those unfamiliar with Lambchop, they're a Nashville-based collective based around songwriter Kurt Wagner. He doesn't so much sing as speak in tune (kind of), and the music is summery alt-country/Americana. This song is about 8 minutes of hazy, drifting guitar that always seems like it's teetering on the brink of a massive chorus which never comes. Just great.

Lambchop - Paperback Bible

This is a song I downloaded by accident and was an unexpected treat. It's a dark, depressing, fucked up little rap song. It's not perfect quality but it's still awesome. It's called "Ballad of worms" by Cage and it's a song about a rapper who falls in love with a girl but she gets sick and he has to take care of her. Try it out.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8tf785

Any fans of Spoon here? I really like this track, off Girls Can Tell. It's short and sparse, with really simple repeating keyboard line with a little bit of guitar riffing over the top. And handclaps. Thank God for handclaps.Spoon - Anything You Want

I've been a fan of Spoon for about 2 days, when I first listened to Gimme Fiction. It's one of the best albums I've heard in a long time, and I'm keen to hear more. Feel free to educate me!

Any fans of Spoon here? I really like this track, off Girls Can Tell. It's short and sparse, with really simple repeating keyboard line with a little bit of guitar riffing over the top. And handclaps. Thank God for handclaps.Spoon - Anything You Want

I've been a fan of Spoon for about 2 days, when I first listened to Gimme Fiction. It's one of the best albums I've heard in a long time, and I'm keen to hear more. Feel free to educate me!
I think Gimme Fiction is their best album, but Girls Can Tell is pretty damn close IMO. I've not yet heard Kill The Moonlight. A Series of Sneaks is okay but lacks the uber-clean production of the later albums, which is something I really like about them. It does have a song called "Quincy Punk Episode" though, which fills me with joy and visions of Jack Klugman's righteous indignation.Anyway, here's the Girls Can Tell album, zipped:Spoon - Girls Can Tell

Jack Penate - Second, Minute or HourQuite simply one of the greatest songs of the year. He is hotly tipped for the future. Describes himself as Alternative / Soul / Rockabilly on his myspace.

Jack Penate is amazing.
Sure is! Second, Minute or Hour is going for a mint on ebay! I knew I should have got it at the time, limited releases always end up being worth loads! I can upload his first proper, fully released forthcoming single "Spit at Stars" if people want it.

Guest Who's got the crack?

Jack Penate - Second, Minute or HourQuite simply one of the greatest songs of the year. He is hotly tipped for the future. Describes himself as Alternative / Soul / Rockabilly on his myspace.

Jack Penate is amazing.
Sure is! Second, Minute or Hour is going for a mint on ebay! I knew I should have got it at the time, limited releases always end up being worth loads! I can upload his first proper, fully released forthcoming single "Spit at Stars" if people want it.
Please do if you can, I only have a shitty demo of it.

Jack Penate is amazing.
Please do if you can, I only have a shitty demo of it.
Jack Penate - Spit At StarsThere you go, a proper version. Its quality!

Guest Ice

Some more nice songs, I think the Mew is my favourite from this thread so far that I hadn't heard before.

Here's something for Conor Oberst fans, the first song from the (excellent) first Commander Venus album. Dual pre-pubescent Oberst and Kasher vocals~

Commander Venus - Peppermints

And so as not to exclude those Oberstaphobics, here's a song from Anathallo's 'Floating World' album, which was one of my favourites from last year. Not sure how to describe it, but Sufjan Stevens is the closest comparison I can think of (on some songs more than others)

Anathallo - By Number

Edited by Ice

Danny Schmidt - Dark Eyed Prince

Danny Schmidt is an American Folk singer and quite the guitar picker as well, he's a cracking bloke too. Had the pleasure of seeing him play a couple of times in Coventry and urge any fans of acoustic/folk music to check him out.

Brand New - You Won't Know

This was the song Brand New closed with during their recent UK and Ireland tour, and it gave most people goosebumps. Taken from their current album, The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me. If you've never heard Brand New before, this is as good a place as any to start.