The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

The Walkmen - The Rat

This is in my top five songs of all time. I'll never forget the first time I heard it. I think it was Rob Edwards who described as the best Strokes song not recorded by The Strokes, but I think it's better than anything they've ever done. The drumming is amazing, the vocals are pulsating and the song flows like nothing else.

The Walkmen - The RatThis is in my top five songs of all time. I'll never forget the first time I heard it. I think it was Rob Edwards who described as the best Strokes song not recorded by The Strokes, but I think it's better than anything they've ever done. The drumming is amazing, the vocals are pulsating and the song flows like nothing else.

Oh great stuff, cheers for that mate, a cracking song. I'm in a mellow(hungover) mood so I'm listening toDuke Special - Stumble And Fall

• Moderators

Lalo Schifrin - No More lies, Girl.

This is off of the Dirty Harry Soundtrack, all done by Shifrin.. I don't know what the genre is.. jazzy kinda stuff.. But he really is one of my favourite composers, and I'm sure a lot of people like his work without knowing it's him (the one that comes up most is the Bullit soundtrack).. So yeah - check this shit out. This is one of the vocal tracks off the album, but most of it is instrumental..

Edited by Who has called me Hage?

Loved the Walkman song, Seven. Great work.

More people should get involved in this as it is really a great idea for a thread and has so far resulted in many people discovering new music.

Ok, time for my song of the day. This is a band I'm sure many people are already familiar with, but for anyone who isn't here's The Get Up Kids - Holiday. One of the most influential bands of the last decade and the band I'm probably the most gutted about never seeing live. I'd say that they are perhaps the most underrated band ever - in terms of being so massively influential but not really known by the mainstream. I suppose they'd be classed as emo (as in 90s emo, not Taking Back Sunday emo) - but this is a particularly punky song. Let me know your thoughts.

This is from William Elliott Whitmore, who I was utterly convinced was an ageing black bluesman until photographic evidence revealed he is in fact a young, white, tatted-up redneck. He sounds like he's walked straight off the set of O Brother, Where Art Thou? with nothing but the shirt on his back and a battered old gee-tar. He was also the source of one of my biggest musical disappointments of last year, when he cancelled playing Twisted Folk in Sale at the last minute. Regardless, he's still a dude... this is off his album-before-last, Ashes to Dust:

William Elliott Whitmore - Midnight

• Moderators

This is from William Elliott Whitmore, who I was utterly convinced was an ageing black bluesman until photographic evidence revealed he is in fact a young, white, tatted-up redneck. He sounds like he's walked straight off the set of O Brother, Where Art Thou? with nothing but the shirt on his back and a battered old gee-tar. He was also the source of one of my biggest musical disappointments of last year, when he cancelled playing Twisted Folk in Sale at the last minute. Regardless, he's still a dude... this is off his album-before-last, Ashes to Dust:William Elliott Whitmore - Midnight

That's a real cool song. I'd like to hear more of his stuff...

This is from William Elliott Whitmore, who I was utterly convinced was an ageing black bluesman until photographic evidence revealed he is in fact a young, white, tatted-up redneck. He sounds like he's walked straight off the set of O Brother, Where Art Thou? with nothing but the shirt on his back and a battered old gee-tar. He was also the source of one of my biggest musical disappointments of last year, when he cancelled playing Twisted Folk in Sale at the last minute. Regardless, he's still a dude... this is off his album-before-last, Ashes to Dust:William Elliott Whitmore - Midnight

That's a real cool song. I'd like to hear more of his stuff...
Glad you like it, and more than happy to oblige. This is the opener off his latest album, Song of the Blackbird:William Elliott Whitmore - Dry

Gillian Welch - Caleb Meyer

Genre - Alt. Country/Revivalist/Bluegrass/Americana etc

This is the opening track from Gillian Welch's 1998 album "Hell Among The Yearlings", her and her partner David Rawlings write and play songs usually in the American folk tradition. Probably best known for her contributions to the soundtrack of "O Brother Where Art Thou" in which she had a cameo. She was the woman who tried to by the Soggy Bottom Boys' single only to be told it was sold out.

Like O Brother, T Bone Burnett has produced loads of her work. Enjoy.

Edited by Keith Houchen

I worked my through this thread and downloaded/listened to the majority of songs posted, and liked most of them as well.Here's a song:The Samuel Jackson Five - If You Show Off The Milk, Who's Gonna Buy The Cow?I'm bad at descriptions, I'd say that it's instrumental rock with a bit of a jazzy feel.

Awesome. I love the trend in instrumental post-rock for giving songs long, ridiculous comedy names.