The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

This was something I remember from growing up and was the first time I saw footage of Luke Kelly. We taped it off the telly and my dad made me put it on whenever anyone came round. @Carbomb if you can get a hold of it there are brilliant performances, video footage and great anecdotes. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Late_Late_Show_Tribute_to_The_Dubliners

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

This was something I remember from growing up and was the first time I saw footage of Luke Kelly. We taped it off the telly and my dad made me put it on whenever anyone came round. @Carbomb if you can get a hold of it there are brilliant performances, video footage and great anecdotes. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Late_Late_Show_Tribute_to_The_Dubliners

Yeah, I love discovering new stuff like that, especially when it comes to Irish music, as it's what I tend to default to for singing (along with folk and Americana). I've been practicing On Raglan Road for the past year for gigs and music clubs, and it's such a lovely and satisfying song to perform. I can't match Kelly, obviously - the man had a voice like a thunderclap - so I tend towards the more traditional style.

I've also been listening to a lot of Stan Rogers recently - another folk great (Canadian this time) with a tremendous voice.

Stan Rogers - Three Fishers

Edited by Carbomb

• Moderators

How on several occasions a few of us have said we'd love to see the KPM all stars? Nd Road warrior pop for Grandstand?

They did a gig under our noses in the fucking British Library last year. 

So here they are doing, obviously, Grandstand - at the British Library. 

• Paid Members

It always makes me think of a letter in Viz, paraphrased, "Billy Bragg sang in his early 90s hit 'Sexuality/Strong and warm and wild and free/ Sexuality/Your laws do not apply to me.' If Mr Bragg was caught balls deep in a 15 year old, I think he'd find out that the laws very much do apply to him".