The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

Buck 65 - 'Blood Of A Young Wolf'

A wonderfully laid back track laced with social commentary, soul and banjo (!!!) from Canadas own Buck 65. A Hip Hop track for people who don't like Hip Hop.

Mr. Bungle - 'The Air-Conditioned Nightmare'

Genre-bending lunacy from Mike Patton (Ex-Faith No More) and his band of freaks. Ever hear a song jump from 1950's Surf Rock to Metal to Easy Listening? No? Well you're about to.

Mr. Bungle - 'The Air-Conditioned Nightmare'Genre-bending lunacy from Mike Patton (Ex-Faith No More) and his band of freaks. Ever hear a song jump from 1950's Surf Rock to Metal to Easy Listening? No? Well you're about to.

Vito, you don't happen to have any John Zorn stuff do you? Naked City's Torture Garden is fantastic but it's on vinyl, as is the rest of my Zorn related goodness so I can't upload them :(

Saw Laura Veirs & The Saltbreakers at Manchester Academy 3 (my favourite venue) tonight. Twas a fine, fine gig, and I have to say the support band was fucking awesome. They were called Your Heart Breaks and were comprised of two members of Veirs' band and the cutest frontwoman I've ever seen. Cute in the adorable sense, I mean. She came across kinda like a lesbian Buddy Holly, complete with tattoos and the demeanour of an affable 14-year old geek straight out of Saved By The Bell. You really had to be there, but I insist she was hilarious and fucking ruled it with her lo-fi punky love songs. Veirs is a geologist who makes ethereal folk rock about, er, rocks and stuff. The tour's only just started, so catch it if you can.

Your Heart Breaks - Will We Ever

Laura Veirs - Pink Light

Edited by Parkamarka

Vito, you don't happen to have any John Zorn stuff do you? Naked City's Torture Garden is fantastic but it's on vinyl, as is the rest of my Zorn related goodness so I can't upload them :(

I'm sure that at some point I had Zorn's Naked City album on my Hard Drive but I can't recall if I still have it. I'll have a look when I get home.

Today's song is called Feel and is by unsigned, Bangor (N.I.) based, good friends of mine Vitara. They dscribe themselves s New Wave/Rock/Metal, I like to call them bloody good, and Feel is a fine sampling of their general ability.

Russian Circles- Death Rides a Horse

Instrumental metal, with quite harrowing guitar work and exquisite drumming amongst some of those slow, contemplative passages ala Cult of Luna et al.

And Edwards was right about Boris. I didn't know the song he uploaded was from Pink, as the one of my mp3 player has a different title. I cannot imagine anyone with a taste for heavier, alternative music not finding something to like about Boris. Pink alone has a rapid garage-punk song ('Electric'), a very noisy, Jesu-y effort with ethereal vocals and droning guitars ('Parting'), a ploooodding psychedlic, stoner tune ('It Paints to be, the Flame') and well, DOOMDOOMDOOMDOOM ('Blackout'). I don't think my tastes have quite evolved to appreciate their earlier drone but I can definitely recommend Heavy Rocks and Akuma No Uta.

Guest Miami 2017

A massive diversion to the rest of the thread, but quality nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TglALGBVKrg

It's a cover of an old Billy Joel/Ray Charles song - Baby Grand. He's doing some assembly at NYU, and a cocky bastard asks to sing it with him. To be fair, he more or less sings him off the stage. It's not emo, it's not heavy rock, it's not electronica - it's classy, though.

Buck 65 - 'Blood Of A Young Wolf'A wonderfully laid back track laced with social commentary, soul and banjo (!!!) from Canadas own Buck 65. A Hip Hop track for people who don't like Hip Hop.Mr. Bungle - 'The Air-Conditioned Nightmare'Genre-bending lunacy from Mike Patton (Ex-Faith No More) and his band of freaks. Ever hear a song jump from 1950's Surf Rock to Metal to Easy Listening? No? Well you're about to.

I really, really like both of those, and am gonna investigate them further. Good post.

been through this thread and d/l'd a few tracks that caught my eye, or the write-up sounded good; thoughts...> > > Tom Waits - Step Right Upyeah, Tom Waits rules.> > > Malcolm Middleton - We're All Going To Diedidn't like this. Felt like it couldn't decide between upbeat happy tune and dark brooding dirge> > > Paper Wings by Rise AgainstSeemed like the mighty Husker Du put through an emo filter. Awful.> > > The Raveonettes - Ode to L.A.I'm liking this a lot. I love Lynch too, so figures.> > > Dropkick Murphys - Foreveryou're Irish, right? And you actually like the Dropkick Murphy... wtf? They annoy me, and I've only got Irish grandparents. Wasn't fond of Flogging Molly, either.> > > Jeremy Enigk: World Waits AND > > > The Fire Theft's Summertimegood for what they are (not meant as patronising as it comes across), but not really my thing> > > The Ataris - San Dimas High School Football Rules... and speaking of not my thing, I never thought I'd like this. In fact, the main reason I d/ld it was the vaguely cool title, but I loved it. Great post.> > > Lambchop - Paperback BibleI need this album> > > "Ballad of worms" by Cage :confused: not easy listening at all, and I'm still struggling to come to terms with the fact google seach revealed that he's whitethat's it for now, d/l'ing the new NIN atm, and I've got some more from the thread to give a listen. More thoughts when I do.oh, and ta to all people posting this stuff. :thumbsup:

Edited by ghost

I love that Ataris song too. I don't really like the band in general, but I remember that song off one of the Fat Wreck compilations, which are always impeccably great. And Bill & Ted references are always a good thing.

Today I feel like posting some Black Keys: a blues-rock two-piece who are to the White Stripes what Steve Austin is to the Rock - the only ones playing in the same league, but not quite as gimmicky and, ultimately, better (sorry Hurrikane).

Dan Auerbach's beard > Jack White's moustache.

The Black Keys - Thickfreakness