Mr. Seven

The Song Of The Day Thread

Any fans of Spoon here? I really like this track, off Girls Can Tell. It's short and sparse, with really simple repeating keyboard line with a little bit of guitar riffing over the top. And handclaps. Thank God for handclaps.Spoon - Anything You Want

I've been a fan of Spoon for about 2 days, when I first listened to Gimme Fiction. It's one of the best albums I've heard in a long time, and I'm keen to hear more. Feel free to educate me!
I think Gimme Fiction is their best album, but Girls Can Tell is pretty damn close IMO. I've not yet heard Kill The Moonlight. A Series of Sneaks is okay but lacks the uber-clean production of the later albums, which is something I really like about them. It does have a song called "Quincy Punk Episode" though, which fills me with joy and visions of Jack Klugman's righteous indignation.Anyway, here's the Girls Can Tell album, zipped:Spoon - Girls Can Tell
That's excellent, thanks for that. Suppose it's a little unlucky if I have started with their best album, but the fun will be in finding out if that's true or not I guess.Also, I agree with you Mr. Seven. Brand New were amazing on tour, and the closer was superb when I saw them. They played for 2 full hours too, so kudos is due.

I tend to bottle up lots of these songs, then listen to a bundle at once. Ones I really liked included: Moving To New York, simplistic enough but bouncy fun. I can imagine Brand New causing goosebumps when played extremely loudly on a decent sound system, I will try that later.

Anygay, here's my choice: Dimension by Wolfmother. Destined to have a great 2007 with their crunchy fuzzy, 70s-esque guitar sound. This one has a rip-roaring chorus.

Buck 65 - 'Blood Of A Young Wolf'

A wonderfully laid back track laced with social commentary, soul and banjo (!!!) from Canadas own Buck 65. A Hip Hop track for people who don't like Hip Hop.

Mr. Bungle - 'The Air-Conditioned Nightmare'

Genre-bending lunacy from Mike Patton (Ex-Faith No More) and his band of freaks. Ever hear a song jump from 1950's Surf Rock to Metal to Easy Listening? No? Well you're about to.

I wish more people would partake in this thread rather than just leech off it.

Anyways, here's a song from a band with a tapdancer instead of a drummer; American indie/pop group Tilly And The Wall. It's light and fun and stuff.

Rainbows In The Dark

Edited by Mr. Seven

Mr. Bungle - 'The Air-Conditioned Nightmare'Genre-bending lunacy from Mike Patton (Ex-Faith No More) and his band of freaks. Ever hear a song jump from 1950's Surf Rock to Metal to Easy Listening? No? Well you're about to.

Vito, you don't happen to have any John Zorn stuff do you? Naked City's Torture Garden is fantastic but it's on vinyl, as is the rest of my Zorn related goodness so I can't upload them :(

Saw Laura Veirs & The Saltbreakers at Manchester Academy 3 (my favourite venue) tonight. Twas a fine, fine gig, and I have to say the support band was fucking awesome. They were called Your Heart Breaks and were comprised of two members of Veirs' band and the cutest frontwoman I've ever seen. Cute in the adorable sense, I mean. She came across kinda like a lesbian Buddy Holly, complete with tattoos and the demeanour of an affable 14-year old geek straight out of Saved By The Bell. You really had to be there, but I insist she was hilarious and fucking ruled it with her lo-fi punky love songs. Veirs is a geologist who makes ethereal folk rock about, er, rocks and stuff. The tour's only just started, so catch it if you can.

Your Heart Breaks - Will We Ever

Laura Veirs - Pink Light

Edited by Parkamarka

Vito, you don't happen to have any John Zorn stuff do you? Naked City's Torture Garden is fantastic but it's on vinyl, as is the rest of my Zorn related goodness so I can't upload them :(

I'm sure that at some point I had Zorn's Naked City album on my Hard Drive but I can't recall if I still have it. I'll have a look when I get home.

Today's song is called Feel and is by unsigned, Bangor (N.I.) based, good friends of mine Vitara. They dscribe themselves s New Wave/Rock/Metal, I like to call them bloody good, and Feel is a fine sampling of their general ability.

Russian Circles- Death Rides a Horse

Instrumental metal, with quite harrowing guitar work and exquisite drumming amongst some of those slow, contemplative passages ala Cult of Luna et al.

And Edwards was right about Boris. I didn't know the song he uploaded was from Pink, as the one of my mp3 player has a different title. I cannot imagine anyone with a taste for heavier, alternative music not finding something to like about Boris. Pink alone has a rapid garage-punk song ('Electric'), a very noisy, Jesu-y effort with ethereal vocals and droning guitars ('Parting'), a ploooodding psychedlic, stoner tune ('It Paints to be, the Flame') and well, DOOMDOOMDOOMDOOM ('Blackout'). I don't think my tastes have quite evolved to appreciate their earlier drone but I can definitely recommend Heavy Rocks and Akuma No Uta.

Guest Miami 2017

A massive diversion to the rest of the thread, but quality nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TglALGBVKrg

It's a cover of an old Billy Joel/Ray Charles song - Baby Grand. He's doing some assembly at NYU, and a cocky bastard asks to sing it with him. To be fair, he more or less sings him off the stage. It's not emo, it's not heavy rock, it's not electronica - it's classy, though.

Buck 65 - 'Blood Of A Young Wolf'A wonderfully laid back track laced with social commentary, soul and banjo (!!!) from Canadas own Buck 65. A Hip Hop track for people who don't like Hip Hop.Mr. Bungle - 'The Air-Conditioned Nightmare'Genre-bending lunacy from Mike Patton (Ex-Faith No More) and his band of freaks. Ever hear a song jump from 1950's Surf Rock to Metal to Easy Listening? No? Well you're about to.

I really, really like both of those, and am gonna investigate them further. Good post.