The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

Currently I'm all over ambient dubstep. As in, it's pretty much all I listen to at home or on the bus when I want to relax. The rolling sub bass, dreamy melodies, ethereal strings, trancey synths, distorted vocals... I just fucking love it.

Yeah it's definitely one of the most exciting and consistently quality genres in vogue at the minute. Loving the songs you posted, I was all over Phaleh last year, 'Falling' was one of my favourite tracks.

Synkro is one of the best at this type of stuff for me, really atmospheric with awesome samples (even if the craze for sampling 90s RnB has been overdone a bit lately). He has a new EP out in April as well which should be fantastic. 'Everybody Knows' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtj7IBGar3c) and 'You Don't Know' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M931ZS07h5E&feature=related) are among his better works.

Think i might check out that night you recommended next time I'm in Manchester, if I time it along with a Warehouse Project could be a fucking crazy weekend.

The dubstep that I hear that I like, tends to take after deep house more than any other genre.

A lot of ambient dubstep does share a similar aesthetic to deep house, albeit slowed down and with more breakbeat percussion than the straight 4/4.

I'm not mad on Synkro to be honest. Everybody knows and Tell Me are good, but everything else he's done has been average. Saw him play a small gig in Manchester where he blew the sound system and just acted like a right penis.

Phaeleh is probably the most consistent producer in my eyes. He's playing in Manchester on my birthday weekend and I'm fucking psyched for it.

There's a top, top, top lineup for this night in London next thursday. Phaeleh, Ilum Sphere, Hiatus & Shura, Owsey... If anyone out there likes a bit of ambient dubstep you need to check this night: https://www.facebook.com/events/334098566628616/

I cannot recommend Lowdown enough. If you can make it to one it is well worth the entrance free. The blurb from the facebook:

"The combination of Sound Controls basement club and Loft and the Electro-Tech-Breakbeat-Bass heavy sounds are perfect for the vibe we are creating

Lowdown & Dirty covers various aspects of electronic dance music. Hosted by residents Resistance & Ash Howell together with world class acts each month. Mixing a funky selection of bass-heavy Breakbeat, Electro, Tech-Funk and Techno, Dubstep and bits of everything else thrown in to create an amazing party, the only rule being its bass heavy!

After such a great 12 months which has seen top class acts such as Elite Force, Meat Katie, Splitloop, Krafty Kuts, Stanton Warriors, Freestylers, Hybrid (Live), A-Skillz, A Dominant Species & Matt Howson all rocking the dancefloor, and taking the top spot at the Breakpoll International Breakbeat Awards in London for the best small club/event (under 1000 capacity) we will continue to bring you a fantastic clubbing experience month in, month out"

• Paid Members

The John Talabot and new Grimes albums are both very good. In fact I'd say Grimes is the best album I've heard in 2012 thus far. I might have to go and see her in Manchester in May

No link due to being in work, but Saturday Night at the Movies by the Drifters has just cheered me right up on an otherwise dull and depressing afternoon, and I suggest you all listen to it too.

I absolutely love The Drifters! Saw the current incarnation live with my girlfriend a few months back, really enjoyable night out.

The John Talabot and new Grimes albums are both very good. In fact I'd say Grimes is the best album I've heard in 2012 thus far. I might have to go and see her in Manchester in May

I'm tempted to see her myself in Bristol, i have another amazing female artist to see on the 30th of this month called "Grouper".

• Paid Members

I'm tempted to see her myself in Bristol, i have another amazing female artist to see on the 30th of this month called "Grouper".

Yeah, I'm going to see Liz on the 30th and then again the next day in Manchester. Really enjoyed both of the A I A releases last year

Saw

in Birmingham last night, very good set Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

• Paid Members
- as referenced earlier in the thread, new collab from Burial and FourTet. Heard it for the first time on Benji B this week