The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

Haven't heard enough to call myself a fan, but I like what I've heard.

Today's song is Paper Wings by Rise Against. If you've played Burnout 3 you might recognise it. It's incredibly fast, energetic and uplifting, and I'll be hearing it live in just over a month. :D One of my favourite songs ever.

• Awards Moderator

This is from William Elliott Whitmore, who I was utterly convinced was an ageing black bluesman until photographic evidence revealed he is in fact a young, white, tatted-up redneck. He sounds like he's walked straight off the set of O Brother, Where Art Thou? with nothing but the shirt on his back and a battered old gee-tar. He was also the source of one of my biggest musical disappointments of last year, when he cancelled playing Twisted Folk in Sale at the last minute. Regardless, he's still a dude... this is off his album-before-last, Ashes to Dust:William Elliott Whitmore - Midnight

That's a real cool song. I'd like to hear more of his stuff...
Glad you like it, and more than happy to oblige. This is the opener off his latest album, Song of the Blackbird:William Elliott Whitmore - Dry
Corking. When I get back to a PC that isn't as locked down as Gordon Brown's spending I'll upload some Seasick Steve. Now them's the blues.

• Awards Moderator

Corking. When I get back to a PC that isn't as locked down as Gordon Brown's spending I'll upload some Seasick Steve. Now them's the blues.

You must do this. I saw the man on Jools Holland and he's amazing.
His album is half bawlin' blues and half rambling old tramp (Sickboy's word filter swoops in). "Y'know there wuz this time I was in the clink, and this dawg jus' kept follerin' me aroun'..." etc.I'll buzz it up tonight.

The Raveonettes - Ode to L.A.

The Raveonettes are clearly huge Lynch fans, so I was always going to like them. Everything they do is steeped in '50s Americana, and this song is a great example, and you bet your ass I listened to it driving through L.A.

Features one of the Ronettes on guest vocals, despite the fact they came about a decade too late for the Raveonettes to be bothered about 'em. I guess they liked the name, though.

PS - The Seasick Steve ruled. As did the Mew.