The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I've been watching old David Lynch films in preparation for new Twin Peaks. I forgot how much I love Roy Orbison.

In Dreams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPqZs7Vl_xg

A phenomenal voice that is both powerful and vulnerable at the same time and he wrote some of the most impressive chart pop songs going. Everything Orbison wrote was something beyond a normal pop hit, In Dreams being a great example. No melody, no real structure, no chorus, 10 or so distinct 25 second chunks with an increasingly astonishing vocal performance on top. All of his hits are like this; insane key changes, beat changes, majestic. Plus a bunch of his best known numbers were put together when the majority of US chart music was still 'dooby doo, I love you'. 

Roy Orbison <3

Edited by Gus Mears

Roy re recorded In Dreams for the "Blue Velvet" movie. The original has a slightly slower tempo 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LZuF_ei8nsM

The Big Os songs had an almost operatic feel which he used to great effect in the majority of his post Sun recordings. Songs like Runnin Scared, Crying, Walk On, It's Over, Too Soon to Know are just a few examples. I have all of Roy's albums and I think his best work is arguably in the early to mid 60s. The Mystery Girl album was a great return to form but I would say there's no bad album in his discography.

He even recorded a disco influenced album called "Laminar Flow" and covered Otis "I'll be loving you too long" on the "Memphis" LP. Roy's someone who should be up there with Elvis in terms of popularity because he was a great singer/songwriter and was almost an amalgamation of say Elvis, Johnny Cash with the all black attire and Mario Lanza for the operatic vocal stylings. For Big O fans or those getting into his music I recommend checking out the Black and White night concert which is currently on iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00g6349

Edited by Really Big Shoe

• Paid Members

I agree with regard to his popularity for sure. He is absolutely miles ahead of most of his contemporaries as a performer and writer. When I first got into him years back, I didn't quite understand why he wasn't one of the most popular acts of all time. The fact that he was a not very attractive bloke who didn't move much on stage surely played a significant role. Definitely added a certain mystique to him and his songs though. Some terrible vulnerability that you couldn't quite put your finger on.

Cheers for the Iplayer tip, Shoe, will take a look. 

Edited by Gus Mears

16 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

I agree with regard to his popularity for sure. He is absolutely miles ahead of most of his contemporaries as a performer and writer. When I first got into him years back, I didn't quite understand why he wasn't one of the most popular acts of all time. The fact that he was a not very attractive bloke who didn't move much on stage surely played a significant role. Definitely added a certain mystique to him and his songs though. Some terrible vulnerability that you couldn't quite put your finger on.

Cheers for the Iplayer tip, Shoe, will take a look. 

You're welcome, there's also a doc they showed as well which was shown on Big O night like Keith says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06t3vb9

As for Roy's popularity, he was soft spoken, didn't have a ego and seemed like just a cool guy. Maybe his Everyman type persona meant he wasn't really seen as the star he should have been.

Looks played a part too but Johnny Cash didn't have a movie star look either yet he's more of a pop culture icon what with his rebellious attitude, the prison concerts he did and his Man in Black persona. Roy's similar to Buddy Holly in a way that they were real talented yet didn't have the marquee idol looks.

If Roy looked like one of the pop idols of that time I think Elvis would have a run for his money popularity wise. I wonder say if The Big O made more country recordings like he did with his Don Gibson and Hank Williams tribute albums whether he'd have been more embraced by that fanbase.

I think if we used pro wrestling as a comparison, Elvis is Hulk/Rock/Flair, Johnny Cash is Austin, Roy Orbison would be say Bobby Eaton, respected by his peers and a great worker. That's no way a knock on The Big O just an observation on his popularity with the mainstream. He's influenced quite a lot of artists Chris Isaac, KD Lang, Jeff Lynne of ELO has said he was influenced by him, Elvis Costello has a touch of the Big O in his music too to name but a few. Maybe they need to remix one of Roy's songs like they did with Elvis "A Little Less Conservation" so his music is heard by a younger audience and he becomes more popular or a cult hero like Johnny Cash.