WCW hilarity - what were they thinking?

dopper

Sorry dopper, I had a ton of them (something like 240-odd) from the original DVDVR thread, and I kinda like the fact they aren't chronological- it's not like WCW got any stupider in 2001 than they were in 1999. But you have done some fine work, and this is a fine thread.Anyone else find this sad rather than funny? I tried to watch a 2000 WCW ppv the other day and the main thing that struck me was the huge waste it all was. A bunch of old men, taking a ton of money and ruining one of the best wrestling companies of all time. And I'm ashamed that any of the top guys ever worked again- Nash, Luger, Hall, Hogan, and the rest. At least Savage had the good sense to retire.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Issue 21- Very Posh HHH on frontTaken from Fin Martin's predictions on WM12On HHH v. Warrior- 'The Warrior wins by pinfall in around seven minutes'On Taker v. Diesel- 'from a wrestling standpoint this will be the clanger of the night. The 'Taker's bouts are inherently awful unless he is faced with a stellar worker- and he sure as hell isn't here.'From 'What's going down...'Sid suprised virtually everyone in the industry- including Vince McMahon and company- by announcing his retirement from wrestling during a live USWA broadcast on March 22ndFrom a review of IYH 6Anyway, Yokozuna appears to have great potential as a babyface, though his role will be restricted unless he loses a couple of hundred pounds because he;s gasping for breath after 30 seconds of combat...'A Prediction for the WM12 main event:With the Hitman's mastery of human chess at its finest and the 'HB Kid's' 'powerball personified' approach to his moments in the spotlight, brought together for one of the most monumental matches of the decade, ratings scales worldwide could well need recalibrating...'Issue 22 (HBK on front)From 'From the top'(Alex) Shane and (Tyrone) Archer exchanged nearfalls, utilising back and forth cradle variations in the early going, though they may have been playing pontoon for all the corwd cared...the pace soon slowed when both grapplers, a mere five minutes into the mtach, blew up...'From 'What's Going Down...'Rumour has it that Perfect is preparing to make a comeback within the next four to six months...Under instructions from WWF management, Yokozuna is currently recuperating from his apparent leg injury in, of all places, a health farm. Yes, those upstairs finally came to the conclusion that it was time the former World Champion lost some weight'...The Undertaker actually pinned Vader after nailing him with a chokeslam...Further reports state that Wrestlemania XII marked the Hitman's final appearance for the company.Ignore the report in last month's issue about Sid retiring from the mat game: the announcers were, of course, lying about his neck and shoulder injuries being of a career-ending variety; he...is expected back in the WWF within the next 6-8 weeks.The Ultimate Warrior is already causing problems behind the scens with his 'it's my way or I'm out of here' attitude.Vince McMahon on Hulk Hogan:'At one time Terry Bollea had the passion that you have to have to be a performer in the WWF...He lost that passion. It becomes obvious to the public, and what we seen now, unfortunately, is a shell of the performer that he used to be. As a matter of fact, for those of us on the inside of the wrestling business, it becomes, quite frankly, an embarassment.' (NB Hogan is pushed in a main event level match at Summerslam over 10 years later)Management have yet to agree on what ring peronas Kevin Nash and Scott Hall will use when they return to the group. Rumour has it, though, that we could well see the eturn of Vinnie Vegas and the Diamond Studd when Nash and Hall finally jump ship.The Giant's run as a babyface lasted all of seven daysStevie Richards suffered both a broken orbital bone and a cheek bone during a match with Rob Van Dam...the injury occured when he was kicked in the face with undue force...From Colour CommentaryManKind's finger down the throat finisher obviously emenates from the same mental sewer as Goldust and is likely to attract as many new fans to the promotion, whilst his marriage to the Undertaker appears to be a premature nail in Mick Foley's WWF career...Raw then closed with The Undertaker burying another ex-hopeful, Justin Bradshaw...From The Wrestlemania XII reportAlthough the iron man contest was not the classic confrontation that everyone had anticipated, it was a fine contest.The question begs to be asked, what happened to Steve Austin? His movements and ringwork are now so wooden that he looks more like Lex Luger than the man who tore down the house on a regular basis as part of the Hollywood Blonds(On Taker/Diesel):..an enjoyable 17 minutes of action that surpassed expectations by a considerable margin. Diesel, Undertaker; I applaud you both.

Thank you Dopper, I have these all saved on my PC now :thumbsup: Fantastic stuff. *applauds*I still miss WCW though, it was a nice alternative and also morbidly amusing to see all the screw-ups. Give WWE five years, they'll have similar hilarious long lists of stupiditiy (they're already part of the way there).

Apologies for the duplicates, but I may have a few Dopper missed:

Quote #81

"Poor Tony Schiavone had announced earlier in the show that Kidman and Misterio Jr had won the coin flip and would start. Then, when Guerrera's music was second, he said that Guerrera must have won the coin flip and he and Kidman would start. And then Misterio started with Kidman. The fans started chanting "USA". Schiavone then explained, and I'm not making this up, how the rules of the match make no sense and there is no logic in ever tagging out under these rules. When Rey and Kidman wanted to tag out, Psicosis and Guerrera acted like they didn't want to get in the ring. Since nothing made any sense, they just had a great match" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 25 1999

Quote #82

"Hart did this Mexican spot where he faked getting a low blow and started selling his groin. Schiavone said Piper kicked him low. Heenan, who knew the spot, said he didn't think so. Schiavone, when he figured out what the angle was, said only an idiot like Heenan would say that he kicked him in the groin when he didn't." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 15, 1999

Quote #83

"Michael Buffer came out for absolutely no reason. See, he was there to announce the main event. But get this, there was no main event. Flair, at this moment, fell out of the turnip truck, grabbed a hoe and kept falling down" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 22, 1999

On a side note, I would highly recommend buying the 2/22/1999 back issue of the Observer. Dave's WCW coverage that week is amongst the funniest things that I have ever read. He sounds like the product was so depressing that it drove him to drinking before he would even attempt to write about it. A small excerpt from the beginning:

"Nitro may have been the worst episode of the show in history. They showed so many clips of Scott Steiner and Kimberly and Ric Flair and Bret Hart and Roddy Piper that I thought I was having nightmares about having been a horrible human being and being sent to Hell, and when I got there, I was sent to a room with all the evil wrestling promoters past and present and they made me sit in the chair next to people like Fritz Von Erich, Herb Abrams and Nick Gulas and forced us to watch Nitro episodes like this 24 hours a day." The entire section is a fantastic read and like three pages long, Meltz just sounds like he's losing his mind having to cover what WCW was turning into.

Quote #84

"Scott Hall was run over after the PPV. He was outside a bar and fell down. Wes Benton, a WCW employee, didn't see him behind him and backed out, and heard a scream. Benton stopped the car, which was on top of Hall's ankle. He realized and moved the car off the ankle. It was nothing serious." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 01, 1999

Quote #85

"The show began with Disco, Jericho and Johnny Swinger wearing sombreros and making racial remarks. Problem was the crowd was 70% Anglo. They started stomping the sombreros and calling the crowd wetbacks, and it went downhill from there. Silver King, who was doing a cowboy gimmick, had been learning rope tricks and apparently trying them in the ring, somehow wound up by accident nearly tying himself up with his own rope" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 08, 1999.

Quote #86

"There was some heat on Hogan calling the camera man a 'jiggly, jiggly, jew' on Nitro, but eveidently not enough for the segment not to have been replayed on every show during the week" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 15, 1999

That's all of them that I have pulled out to date, so thankfully none were lost. I've got roughly 150 more Observer Newsletters from WCW's glory period to go through, so there should be many more blunders to come.

Quote #87

"In a spot that aired twice on the show, they aired a promo for Nitro that had never aired before, (featuring) Sean Waltman who hasn't been with the company for a year" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 22, 1999

Quote #88

"Raven used an oar to Bigelow's groin" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 22, 1999

Quote #89

"WCW Legal Affairs sent a letter to Chuck Black of Lethal Records complaining about a CD called 'hWo Harlem World Order'. Lethal Records then claimed that investigating trademarks for New World Order uncovered nothing having to do with WCW, but a registration for clothing by a gay clothing line (Brawn of California) that has been used since 1992" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 29, 1999

Quote #90

"Hart and Bischoff tried to work the people and the wrestlers backstage that the angle was a shoot as they argued backstage with no cameras on in front of the wrestlers, but Bischoff has done that so often now that the wrestlers consider it a pathetic joke and no one bought it" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 05, 1999

Quote #91

"Ricky Rachmann has signed a contract. The first week he was on live, the first words out of his mouth were how he didn't know much about wrestling" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 05, 1999

Quote #92

"Goldberg was originally scheduled against Bigelow., who is out with minor elbow surgery. They had planned to do the first ever Goldberg vs. (Bret) Hart match as a replacement however things got screwed up. Hart was in Toronto doing promotion for Nitro and was supposed to get picked up and taken to the airport. His ride never came." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 05, 1999

Quote #93

"There will be an open change on WCW Saturday Night to go along with all the visual changes on Nitro. The changes in Nitro remind me of putting a nice, fresh coat of paint on a house that had just been hit by a Tornado" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

Quote #95

"The plan was for Stevie Ray to win and rename the (nWo) Black & White into a new group that would be a modern version of The Black Panthers. That's a thirty year old term, and Adams and Horace are white" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

Quote #96

"Raven & Saturn did an interview where they talked about being friends in high school and both liked Beulah McGillicuddy. Saturn said, 'That was Tommy'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

Quote #97

"Chris Benoit was on FAN in Toronto and asked if he thought that there was a conspiracy to destroy the company from within. He said 'It appears that way'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

Quote #98

"WCW took out a huge ad in USA Today with the new logo which read "Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car", and never mentioned wrestling once" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

Quote #99

"Wrestlers are making bets backstage over who will be the first to trip on the new set" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

Quote #100

"WCW ordered a ton of new business card, stationary etc. with the new logo and the address on all the cards spelled 'Altanta'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

Quote #101

"Flair was committed (to a mental hospital on Nitro Monday). On Thursday's Thunder they announce he's out of the mental hospital and backstage making changes on the card. On Sunday he wrestles in Minneapolis. But on Monday, one week later, he's been in the nut house for the entire week and still there, running around in the same underwear like he never left" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 03, 1999

Quote #102

"They showed Hogan going in for knee surgery. Hogan was walking into the hospital, not selling it" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 03, 1999

Quote #103

"WCW is coming out with Goldberg, Hogan, Savage and Sting Air Fresheners. And Nash. The company that is marketing them wanted the first four. WCW begged them to include Nash." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 10, 1999

Quote #104

"A new-look Ricky Rachmann interviewed a NASCAR driver" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 10, 1999

Quote #105

"Flair showed up with the mental patients and a roided up girl, and was nearly the first casualty of the ramp" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 10, 1999

Quote #106

"Barry Windham is actually out of action because he's having liposuction on his gut" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 10, 1999

Quote #107

"Goldberg was on QVC and when asked abut what he's doing in the future, he said he really doesn't know because they don't tell him anything" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 10, 1999

Quote #108

"Misterio beat Juventud Guerrerra with fans chanting 'DUI' at Guerrera" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 10, 1999

Quote #109

"Flair is about to be dropped from the Time Magazine Man of the Century internet balloting where he is currently in second place behind Jesus Christ. More than 20 million people have voted, making it the biggest web poll in history, with Flair getting more than 310,000 votes as of 3/31. Flair is being dropped because Janice Castro, the editor of Time.com, said his showing is due to unfair lobbying from wrestling web sites. Jesus is about to go down as well, as religious organizations have gotten members to flood the ballot box too. Time.com is planning an exit strategy, however with the God of wrestling and the Son of God removed, the big winner in the poll appears to be Adolf Hitler, who would become the front runner" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

Quote #110

"They traded hard garbage can shots. Tony Schiavone in his infinite retardedness killed those by saying that they sounded great but really don't hurt. After Schiavone explained how the garbage can shots don't hurt, Bigelow went out and killed Hak dead with a wicked shot. Schiavone then (again) said it made a great noise , but didn't hurt as bad as it sounded" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

Quote #111

"In an employees meeting the week before the Vegas show, Bischoff told everyone that because of the new set, graphics, open and music, Nitro would do a 7.0" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 19, 1999

Quote #112

"They are going to send DJ Ran to house shows thinking it will help attendance" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 7, 1999

Quote #113

"Flair did an interview saying the elbow off the top was now banned. J.J. Dillion agreed with him. I guess they forgot the announcement made last week that the elbow off the top was banned. When Savage wrestled later in the show, guess what his finishing move was? Since the move was banned twice now in two weeks, the ref didn't DQ Savage and instead counted the pin" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Quote #114

"Curt Hennig came out and did this really awful country singing. Duncum joined him and made it worse"- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 7, 1999

Quote #115

"Since Savage can't work at all anymore, the women took turns doing spots with the transvestite Nash"- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 7, 1999

Quote #116

"Nash came out in a big truck and cornered Savage's limo and poured sewage through the sun roof. Nash then said that the spot was sponsored by the sewage company"- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 7, 1999

Quote #117

"Hogan came back and suggested doing an old vs. new angle, largely because he wants to shoot on the new guys for never drawing money"- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 7, 1999

Quote #118

"Kaz Hayashi beat Lash Leroux. Fans chanted 'You both suck'."- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 7, 1999

Quote #119

"Asya, under her real name Christi Wolf, was on the Jenny Jones show playing the role of someone who was a geek in high school and look at her now. Now she's no longer a geek. She's just a woman who looks like a guy on steroids with giant implants"- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 7, 1999

Quote #120

"WCW announced the signing of rap star Master P. P will appear at major television tapings including the Nitro at the Georgia Dome and The New Orleans Superdome. P bragged in a conversation that his appearing would sell out both shows." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 14, 1999

Quote #121

"Bischoff, who did commentary, said it looked like Hak had been drinking for four straight days" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 14, 1999

Quote #122

"Bischoff said the Higher Power was initialed VM and that on the other station they just keep recycling the same crap. Bischoff figured it was VM, but didn't know. Backstage when Raw was on and so many people were watching Raw instead of paying attention to their own live show, he was relieved that it was VM so he didn't look bad" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 14, 1999

Quote #123

"Savage did an interview with the bucket wearing a red fur coat. Nash showed up holding a bag. Nash said he only brought one bag to the ring and Savage brought three. Nash left. A contortionist came out of the bag and dumped the (sewage) on Savage's head. It was nearly a disaster as the contortionist had trouble unzipping the bag and getting out" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 14, 1999

Quote #124

"La Parka & Silver King beat Damien & Ciclope. This was a total complete disaster. Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan laughed their way through the match, saying over and over in the most demeaning tone that this was a 'Mexican Hardcore Match'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 14, 1999

Quote #125

"Piper asked Bagwell if he's ever main evented Madison Square Garden. Madison Square Garden is controlled by (the WWF)" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 14, 1999

Quote #126

"Savage's girls seduced Savage. Stupid Nash jumped into the limo and they slammed the door. Savage drove it a few yards and jumped out and a Hummer ran into the limo. They spent $100,000 to get a 2.7 quarter" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 14, 1999

Quote #127

"Ted Dibiase, who is still under contract although he is never used, was asked to come back and manage Van Hammer" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 14, 1999

Quote #128

"Steiner undid the protective mats around ringside. He then piledrove Sting on a protective mat." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 14, 1999

Quote #129

"Some dogs attacked Sting. It actually wasn't Sting being attacked, but the dog trainer dressed up to look like Sting" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 14, 1999

Quote #130

"The Great American Bash can be summed up in five words: This one was real bad" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 21, 1999

Quote #131

"Master P, who Bischoff tried to get over as a life long wrestling fan, didn't even know the name of the guy he was doing his program with (Hennig) and referred to him as 'the cowboy guy'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 21, 1999

Quote #132

"Thursday was supposed to be a grudge Flair vs. Benoit lumberjack match. However, WCW forgot to tell Flair he was booked. Jason Hervey was in Charlotte at request of management and they gave Flair off Thunder because they were producing an upcoming Flair home video, but never informed the people writing the show about Flair having the day off. When they panicked since Flair wasn't there at 6pm, they called him and told him to get to Syracuse. At the cost of thousands of dollars, they chartered a flight from Charlotte to Syracuse to get Flair to Thunder, but due to the weather problems it couldn't get off the ground until 7pm. The show was put together with the idea that Flair would do several interviews building to the Benoit match. So virtually the entire Thunder show was filling time. Flair finally arrived at 9:55pm, but they had already changed plans for the show because they had to be off the air at 10:03pm because TBS decreed that the Chimp movie had to start on time. When Flair got there, they told him he wasn't needed and to go right back home. So, as a panic move, the decision was made to turn the Kanyon-Saturn singles match into a tag title match. However, Bam Bam Bigelow wasn't there either, so Kanyon defended the titles with Page with zero explanation given to have this make sense. It wasn't even announced as a title match until about a minute left" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 21, 1999

Quote #133

"Nash sold very little considering it was a 16-on-1 beating" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 28, 1999

Quote #134

"Tank Abbot it still being flown in to every Nitro and still under contract, they just aren't using him" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 28, 1999

Quote #135

"There will be a Nitro Girls in bikinis PPV on 8/2. It makes perfect sense to put a PPV on a Monday Night" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 28, 1999

Quote #136

"Bret Hart is planning on returning at the (big Georgia Dome show). In WCW's infinite wisdom on Nitro this week, they never once mentioned Hart was coming back but did do an angle to build for the Ernest Miller vs. Jerry Flynn match for the show" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 28, 1999

Quote #137

"Nash is trying to make himself the rebel outlaw with the belt, which is pretty hard when you're the booker saying WCW doesn't want you with the belt" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 28, 1999

Quote #138

"When Sting said 'I've got two words for you' and the crowd responded 'Suck it' in New Orleans, he thought the cameras were off. Boy did that come off as a lame finish to the TV show" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 28, 1999

Quote #139

"Hugh Morris had a large chunk fall out of his head, hair and all, during his Thunder match with Van Hammer" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 05, 1999

Quote #140

"Backstage, Savage threatened Torrie, and even gave her a slap. She noticeably laughed, ruining the scene. Even worse was Savage confronting Gorgeous George, ripping her Nash t-shirt off and literally throwing her across the room" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 12, 1999

Quote #141

"Also on the show is Disco Inferno vs. Ernest Miller with the loser not being able to dance anymore. The plan is that Miller would win but that Disco would still dance anyway and they'd just ignore the stipulation" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 12, 1999

Quote #142

"Buff has got to be the geekiest babyface in the business. He was kissing up to the crowd unmercifully. At the end, Buff told them to hit his music, and they didn't" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 12, 1999

Quote #143

"Lodi said he knows all of Lenny's measurements. There was a closet in the corner with the word 'closet' on it. This stuff is bad" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 12, 1999

Quote #144

"Eddie Guerrero claimed that one of the Mexicans stole his wallet but didn't know which one because they all wore masks" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 12, 1999

Quote #145

"A ridiculously brutal Hardcore Battle Royal cost more than $100,000 to produce, was hyped so poorly it didn't result in one added buy, was so poorly lit it was nearly impossible to watch on television, and resulted in several needless injuries for wrestlers taking crazy bumps that didn't even get over because of how it was shot" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 19, 1999

Quote #146

"La Parka was running around in jeans instead of his wrestling outfit" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 19, 1999

Quote #147

"Judy Bagwell chased Ric Flair around the ring" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 19, 1999

Quote #148

"Robert Wuhl, who plays the character 'Arliss', showed up in character and they called him Arliss. He was acting like he was a famous sports agent. It would be like Jerry Lawler selling for William Shatner and calling him Captain Kirk" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 26, 1999

Quote #149

"Hogan on WCW Live, amongst other things, said Pat Patterson made a pass at him on a road trip" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 26, 1999

Quote #150

"They've talked with Disco Inferno about taking a bump on his head and doing a gimmick where he thinks he's one of the established stars like Hogan and Savage and does promos mad at Benoit and Malenko for thinking they can take the main events spots" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 26, 1999

Quote #151

"I had (a conversation) pointing out to someone in WCW that something on the last PPV made no sense in the storyline, and the response was 'with our buyrates, nobody sees the PPVs anyway'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

Quote #152

"The fans booed Hogan a lot. Sing asked the fans if he should team with Hogan. They booed heavily. Sting, listening to the advice of the fans, then agreed to team with Hogan" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

Quote #153

"Then Jason Hervey came out. Everyone thought he was terrible in the booth and the initial reports were that he'd be back there next week" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

Quote #154

"Lash Leroux wrestled Prince Iaukea for 50 seconds. Those 50 seconds were enough for 1.2 million households to switch over (to Raw)" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

Quote #155

"Miller went for his magic red slipper, but instead opened his bag to find bunny slippers" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

Quote #156

"I don't know what they did for all those years in the Power Plant with Tatum because they sure didn't teach him how to wrestle. The No Limit Soldiers scewed up and Swoll hit Tatum with a heart punch leading to Hennig's win. Tatum forgot to sell the heart punch though" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

Quote #157

"On a radio show this week, the host brought up that the Nitro main event lost to the Raw main event by a full four ratings points. Hogan's response was that it was Benoit, Malenko, Saturn and Douglas that brought the rating down and he had to make up for lost ground" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

Quote #158

"For the record, the quarter with Benoit, Malenko, Saturn and Douglas drew a 3.3 quarter. The final quarter (Hogan vs. Sid) did a 2.9" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

Quote #159

"There is some attempt to pull Brad Armstrong out of the No Limit Soldiers" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

Quote #160

"Chris Jericho's final WCW match was 7/21 in Peoria, IL in a tag match teaming with Eddie against Kidman and Mysterio. Before the match, Jericho said that if he got pinned he'd leave WCW. Misterio than said everyone already knew it was his last night in WCW. (After the match) all four hugged in the ring. There were fans in near tears, as was Jericho. Kidman started a Jericho chant. Jericho said that he was overwhelmed by the response, but he still thinks that Peoria sucks" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

Edited by Famous Mortimer

Quote #161

"Miller was legitimately very upset at Bagwell for the promo were Bagwell acted like Miller, particularly feeling that the black face made it come across as racist" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

Quote #162

"Sid powerbombed La Parka on a bag of popcorn" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #163

"In his infinite knowledge of how to play babyface, Dennis Rodman said in front of a crowd of 99.9% white guys from South Dakota that once you've had black, you will never go back. The crowd didn't like that" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 09, 1999

Quote #164

"WCW World Wide debuted on Ch. 5 in England on 7/30. Hudson and Larry Zbyszko do the commentary with special commentary that is geared towards England. They tried to introduce fans to the product and listed who the champions were, saying Savage was the World Champion (don't ask why). The show then ended with Nash holding the belt and defending it against Sid (from Nitro) with no mention of Savage as champion. It was then announced Savage would defend against Hogan on the next week's episode" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 09, 1999

Quote #165

"Sting (said) he's been turned on four times by Nash over the last year and every time they went back to making them buddies again" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 16, 1999

Quote #166

"If Bischoff ran things, Wally Pipp would probably still be playing first base for the Yankees"- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 16, 1999

Quote #167

"Hennig was getting over with the 'Rap is Crap' entrance music so what do they do? You guessed it. They gave him new entrance music that will never get over" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 16, 1999

Quote # 168

"Hennig pinned Grunge. I've got no idea how because the cameras were somewhere else, and nobody cared enough to explain what we didn't see" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 16, 1999

Quote #169

"Savage did an interview. The previous Thursday on Thunder, Savage promised to reveal who drove the Hummer and introduce a new bodyguard on Nitro. He did neither, nor were either even brought up" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 16, 1999

Quote #170

"Gene Okerlund protested about the great Chad Brock coming out with his tone trying to get a face pope for the name. Fans booed Brock anyway" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 16, 1999

Quote #171

"Make sense out of this. (Bagwell vs. Norton) Miller came out with his red shoe. Onoo hit Bagwell with a briefcase but Bagwell kicked out of the pin. Miller jumped in the ring and Norton clotheslined him. The ref then ruled that Bagwell won via DQ, I guess because Norton clotheslined a guy not in the match who was already in the ring" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 16, 1999

Quote #172

"Chad Brock sang" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 16, 1999

Quote #173

"Sting beat Nash with the scorpion deathlock after ref Johnny Boone was beaten up and Scott Dickinson heard a submission. Nash's lips never moved and he didn't tap. Maybe he's a ventriloquist" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 16, 1999

Quote #174

"Savage did an interview. He tried to play face. He talked about running for President but mostly made no sense" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 16, 1999

Quote #175

"At Thunder, during Sid's run-in, there was a big explosion in the building that was never referred to on air. It sounded like maybe somebody was shooting at Sid" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 16, 1999

* Not really funny, but fitting:

Quote #176

"There was a pyro explosion and both of the guys who handle pyro for WCW were taken to the hospital, one had second degree burns. There was no pyro for the rest of the show"- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 16, 1999

Quote #177

"Kidman took an accidental bump on David Penzer" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 16, 1999

Quote #178

"It looked like the ring was set up in a field, with only about 5,500 fans, and in the background in front of the hard camera was a road with cars driving past and a banner for what appeared to be some sort of a food stand" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #179

"Sid is now the 40 year-old Millennium Man" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #180

"Savage speared Rodman into a garbage bin. He then threw a guy out of a portable toilet and locked Rodman in and knocked it over. Rodman came out looking none too happy. Gorgeous George came out and gave Rodman a low blow. I guess that's what Rodman gets for raping her in that trailer" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #181

"Sid is now 55-0, even though he loses nearly every house show match and has been on the losing side of tag team matches nearly every week on Nitro" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #182

"Lash Leroux and Juventud Guerrera were having a good match until Sid beat both guys up and said that he'd going to do so all night long until Hogan gave him a title match. They already announced the title match at the start of the show" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #183

"Schiavone was talking about Mike Enos, who looks close to 270, press slamming (Sonny) Onoo as a great feat of strength" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #184

"Miller beat Enos in 2:12. Miller asked how much time this took and Dave Penzer said 3:39. Even when there is no point in lying and where the truth is more impressive, WCW lies. Kind of like that night in San Antonio at the Alamodome when they had 20,000 or so fans and Schiavone talked about this great crowd of 12,000 fans" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #185

"On every spot where Hudson & Heenan talked, there were these three guys mugging and making faces behind their backs. Anyway, if I was booking the show, next week I'd have three plants do the same thing for four or five segments, and on the final one, have Hudson hit one upside the head with a shovel and have them do a domino-like bump" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 09, 1999

Quote #186

"Lodi had a sign about he and Lenny that said 'We dive with Greg Louganis'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #187

"They showed a promo of Berlyn. Schiavone talked about it being this mysterious guy, when it's already been revealed on Nitro that it is is Alex Wright" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #188

"Brian Adams was clean shaven for his new role as a KISS Warrior" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #189

"After seeing (swollen) Bigelow's face, I think I'd rather get in a street fight than have a nice worked match with Stevie Ray" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #190

"The fans started pelting the ring with garbage. WCW loves how that looks on television" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #191

"There have been diversity meetings as it regards to race relations. Things were ok in the office until the No Limit Soldiers vs. Cowboys angle, because the office is basically made up of country music fans and African Americans, and the angle somehow polarized the office. One of Bischoff's secretaries wrote a very nasty racial joke on her computer and emailed it to her friend, but apparently pushed the wrong button and emailed it to everyone, both black and white, in the office" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 23, 1999

Quote #192

"When Bischoff goes heel as company President, he's going to have a black woman bodybuilder and two midgets as part of his entourage" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 6, 1999

Quote #193

"From the WCW Saturday Night tapings, Barry Darsow worked wearing one of his old Russian outfits" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 6, 1999

Quote #194

"Christian York & Joey Matthews were told they didn't have to move to Atlanta or start going to the Power Plant yet, but they'll probably have to start going in six months. For now they are getting paid for doing nothing" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 6, 1999

Quote #195

"The top selling auction item was a Ric Flair robe at $28,000, sold to the lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 6, 1999

Quote #196

"WCW bought those rights (to the Gorgeous George name) to give to Lanny Poffo years ago but they never wound up using him. Poffo is still under a $75,000 per year contract with the company" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 6, 1999

QUOTES #197-208 In regards to the Fourth Anniversary Nitro, which sounds like one of the worst ever.

Quote #197

"In this weeks edition of the sins coming home to roost, Nitro drew only 3,818 paid to the 16,483-seat Miami Arena for the fourth Anniversary of Nitro. In honor of it being the fourth anniversary, WCW put on a show that when it was over, made you feel like you'd been watching this show alone for about two years. Suffice to say, it was one of the worst Nitros ever. The fans watching the show were like those Pom Pom girls in the Starburst commercial whose football players got beat up by the other school's mascot" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #198

"Vampiro put Karagias in something resembling a hypnotic trance and Evan stood there and got beat" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #199

"At least when WWF does a nutty stalker in the crowd gimmick, they have an idea where they are going with it" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #200

"At this point in the show, the guy on the 1-800-CALL-ATT commercial was the most charismatic performer on the show" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #201

"Gene interview Hogan, who said that he owns a black hummer and a white hummer, but that the hummer in the photo wasn't the real hummer" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #202

"Most of the show saw Tony Schiavone try to push a contest where the company is going to give away $1 million dollars" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #203

"The piano man played. The fat lady was singing, although she's been doing that for a few weeks now" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #204

"Virgil came out wanting to join the (West Texas) Rednecks" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #205

"Booker T's contract earns him more per year than Ric Flair's" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #206

"Stevie Ray tried to get the crowd to chant 'nine times' over and over. They wouldn't" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #207

'Schiavone kept calling Blitzkrieg 'Psicosis'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #208

"Late in the week they decided to make this a War Games match. Unfortunately, they had already sold tickets for a normal, as opposed to a two ring set-up, and these kinds of changes can't be made last minute" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #209

"They were going to do the angle with Evan Karagias, but he got his soul taken (by Vampiro)" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #210

"Misterio Jr. got poked in the eye accidentally backstage at Nitro" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #211

"Shane Douglas now is claiming that he'll put up his entire annual salary as a bet if he and Flair both get interview time to build it up, that their match would beat Raw in the quarters. For his sake, nobody better take him up on that bet" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #212

"Shane Douglas asked the crowd if he was the real deal. There were more booes than cheers" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 13, 1999

Quote #213

WCW FALL BRAWL FINAL POLL RESULTS

Thumbs up - 0

Thumbs Down - 67

- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: September 20, 1999

Quote #214

"Shane Douglas said 'Saginaw, Michigan, are you ready?'. They were in Winston-Salem" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: September 20, 1999

Quote #215

"The Demon vs. Vampiro feud was scheduled to go like this. Demon was to be revealed as the Son of the Devil, I swear I'm not making this up, who had turned good because he turned his back on his father. Vampiro would be revealed to have been sent down, or up, however the geography goes, to garner revenge. On the New Years Eve PPV, Demon would toss Vampiro into a vat of holy water, and when he got out, he'd change to a new character" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: September 20, 1999

Quote #216

"The (promotional) subtitle for the next WCW PPV, 'watch the horror unfold'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: September 27, 1999

Quote #217

"CG Afi, the Lodi fan who runs in every week, got popped in the eye legit by security at Nitro. Doug Dillinger was clued into the angle, local security wasn't. One of them chased him and punched him in the eye" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: September 22, 1999

"WCW took out a huge ad in USA Today with the new logo which read "Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car", and never mentioned wrestling once" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

:laugh: I've never heard that one before. Tremendous! Edited by CTXRussomark

Give WWE five years, they'll have similar hilarious long lists of stupiditiy (they're already part of the way there).

But they're not nearly as entertaining at sucking ass as WCW was. If WWE was this fucked-up and ridiculous, I'd still watch, but it doesn't have the same trainwreck factor. It's just bland and low quality. If you're going to suck, at least have the decency to suck with style.

Funk attacked Rhodes after the match, knocking him out with a loaded chicken" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 20, 2000.Someone explain the funk chicken thing? and how he loaded the chicken?

The whole chicken deal was Funk saying Dustin was more of a chicken than his old man. Not sure how the chicken was loaded though, surely behind hit in the head with a frozen chick would hurt enough on its own?The hardcore matches between Funk and Smiley were great I thought, Smiley hiding in the bathroom and screaming all the time, Funk smashing laptops over his head and Ralphus getting chairs thrown at him, good stuff.

Great stuff! Im quite surprised i couldnt find another WCW mistake in a tag team match in maybe 1998-1999 period featuring scott steiner and jeff jarret against hulk hogan and Sid. A dull match, hogan was about to go for the legdrop when all of a sudden, his own tag partner sid delivers one of the worst chokeslams in the world to hogan.Not only that, but Sid covered his own partner, and the ref counted one two three so if i remember, the winner of the match was announced as Sid and hilk Hogan...

Give WWE five years, they'll have similar hilarious long lists of stupiditiy (they're already part of the way there).

But they're not nearly as entertaining at sucking ass as WCW was. If WWE was this fucked-up and ridiculous, I'd still watch, but it doesn't have the same trainwreck factor. It's just bland and low quality. If you're going to suck, at least have the decency to suck with style.
Ture, I used to really look forward to listening to Schiavone and Heenan not giving a flying shit on commentary and discussing anything but the match (I remember Heenan saying during the breaks, the fans would ask Heenan, Schiavone and Tenay for autographs, while Heenan and Tenay would oblige, Schiavone would just sit with his head on the desk ignoring everyone :laugh:). You're right, it was an interesting train-wreck, while WWE for the most part is a tiresome, predictable bore.

Great stuff! Im quite surprised i couldnt find another WCW mistake in a tag team match in maybe 1998-1999 period featuring scott steiner and jeff jarret against hulk hogan and Sid. A dull match, hogan was about to go for the legdrop when all of a sudden, his own tag partner sid delivers one of the worst chokeslams in the world to hogan.Not only that, but Sid covered his own partner, and the ref counted one two three so if i remember, the winner of the match was announced as Sid and hilk Hogan...

That was actually in spring 2000, setting up the Hogan/Sid main event that never was for Spring Stampede.