John Tenta passes away

Garrett

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP EarthquakeI will always remember actually being scared for Hulk Hogan during his feud with Earthquake. This was back in the days when I believed wrestling was real and the Earthquake was a really threatening heel!RIP John Tenta

RIP Mr Tenta. A superb character, a cracking heel, and came across as a really nice bloke in his net postings. Only the other day I was reading his explanation of his wee shoot in Japan he had to pull to wake up his opponent.Majik

• Paid Members

Scary stat: This particular death obviously isn't related to the "usual causes", but it does mean we've reached the point where 10% of people who worked a WrestleMania match in the 1990s are dead.

• Paid Members

This is genuinely sad news. I think we all knew it was coming, but his brave fight should be seen as an inspiration.Here was a guy who was great in either a heel or a babyface role. Either he was the shockingly evil and undeniably credible super-villain, or he was the lovable "teddy bear" style big man.One of my standout memories from his career was, of course, the Hogan-squashing angle. I remember clearly, because it was all handled and performed perfectly by all involved, that they did this awesome music video which was set to a remixed version of "Real American", which showed Hogan as the American hero, meeting kids and soldiers and basically being the popular good guy...then, dramatically, the music changes, and they cut to footage of Quake jumping on Hogan again and again, and Hogan being treated and carried out while Tenta stands menacingly and unashamedly. It was one of those genuine moments that your disbelief is totally suspended, and set up the big match so that you HAD to see it. Tenta played his role throughout this, his most high profile and important feud, to perfection.He had to put up with some crap throughout his latter career, such as horrid gimmicks, dodgy promoters etc, but he always seemed to try and give the fans everything he had every single time, and throughout his latter career, including his tours of the UK, he seemed to thoroughly enjoy his time in front of fans, doing his job.RIP, one of the most influencial, memorable and imitated performers in wrestling history.