John Tenta passes away

Garrett

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll always remember how fondly people have talked about him.I think it was D'Lo or Edge, Angle or someone who was at a training camp the same time in 1998 and John never moaned despite having worked in the business for years. Although he was a legend, he wasn't against training with rookies and that says a lot. I also read his post on here and it was quite emotional.A sad loss.RIP

This is sad news.Earthquake was another big man to be built up and fed to Hogan but something about him connected with the fans. He had the 'it' that makes people beleive, he had a presence that was believable. Maybe it's looking at things through an older eye but he seemed the real deal as a heel - a proper villain. Unlike heels today who want to be cool and secretly crave fans adulation Earthquake knew his role was to build heat for Hogan and he did it really well.His Hogan fued was a classic WWF fued of the time. I remember him putting Hogan on the shelf for months and WWF built it up really well with Tugboat weekly urging fans to send cards of good wishes to Hogan. I remember the whole 'Hogan will never wrestle again' eventually leadign to his comeback. Sure it was great booking and both were protected but you couldn't imagine someone like Dino Bravo putting Hogan out for months, Earthquake had that legitimacy.The Tugboat / Typhoon turn was THE turn for me in that period - I never saw it coming. Earthquake won't be remembered for his promos but his delivery was great - just bouncing up and down pointing and shouting, threatening to destroy Hogan, fucking hell it was just perfect for building the fued. Add Jimmy Hart - wow there are so many memories.He won't be remebered for being the best worker but I'm sure he'll be remembered far more than the better 'workers' in years to come. There was more to him than Hogan as his fued with Roberts points to. He was also booked in some awful gimmicks and angles like the Odddities and his WCW run. Unlike many he knew his role and accepted, even embraced Wrestlecrap and he wil lfondly be remembered for that also.The last match I saw him in was in All Japan a couple of years ago in a 6 man with Robbie Brookside of all people. He came out to his old rumbling music and with his blue singlet. That's how I will remember him.

I loved Earthquake :( , Best finisher ever. Especially when it was done 2 or 3 times, used to scare the hell outta me when I was little.Used to always play as the big man on any wrestling game too :(

R.I.P JOHNThanks for the memories.

Tribute to "Earthquake" John Tenta PDF Print E-mailWednesday, 07 June 2006By Larry Csonkalarrycsonka@f4wonline.comOn Wednesday June 7th 2006, just 15-days short of his 43rd birthday John "Earthquake" Tenta passed away at the age of 42. John had a very long and difficult battle with bladder cancer, but in the end it was just too much for him to overcome. John Tenta is survived by his wife and their three kids.It