Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Moderators

Yeah, I was going to say.. why don't you just copy everything off it on to a hard drive and bin the cd? I think I've misunderstood the question.

That all said, I bought a data recovery software tool called Eassos a couple years back and it is fantastic. It has never failed to recover stuff for me from a few really fucked drives / memory cards.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the DVD is inserted, it recognises it and all the folders and files. However, it's very slow to open those folders. There's no chance of opening the videos as the speed it reads at would take an eternity (the first file I tried recovering is at 13MB progress now after being on since 10pm). Copying the files directly from the DVD to hard drive is as slow as this CD recovery program I downloaded. I've tried a laptop's DVD drive as well as using an external DVD drive linked to a Macbook. The same is happening with both. I've also tried another DVD in them and that works fine.

There must be an issue with the DVD, but the fact it can see all the files gives me hope. And it doesn't look too scratched. Maybe I burnt it initially in a way which fucked it up?

EDIT: I've found it's a cyclic redundancy check which means it's scratched or dirty and is struggling to read the data. Tried cleaning it with a lint-free cloth and even using toothpaste on it (apparently the toothpaste is just about abrasive enough to smooth out scratches without creating more major ones.

• Moderators

Question, most probably for @chokeout -  are there any good resources for getting a sweet spot of rendering videos in good quality but reasonable file size? Say, roughly about the size and quality of a decent 1080p torrent (around 1 and a bit gig per hour)

My working example - I downloaded a copy of the film The Game in mkv format. Decent quality, around 3gb. Converted it from mkv to mp4, still about 3gb. Loaded it up in Premiere, re-edited it to cut the crappy scenes after the stuff happens at the end (avoiding spoilers here). Asked it to match settings of the source, and it's giving me an 8gb output file. Is it simply a case of needing to download some decent codecs, or is there something else I need to know?

Any help appreciated! cheers.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Question, most probably for @chokeout -  are there any good resources for getting a sweet spot of rendering videos in good quality but reasonable file size? Say, roughly about the size and quality of a decent 1080p torrent (around 1 and a bit gig per hour)

My working example - I downloaded a copy of the film The Game in mkv format. Decent quality, around 3gb. Converted it from mkv to mp4, still about 3gb. Loaded it up in Premiere, re-edited it to cut the crappy scenes after the stuff happens at the end (avoiding spoilers here). Asked it to match settings of the source, and it's giving me an 8gb output file. Is it simply a case of needing to download some decent codecs, or is there something else I need to know?

Any help appreciated! cheers.

There are calculators you can get (Not used it in a while but Handbrake used to have a decent one built in).

In short it's working with the different codecs and knowing what compression on each one does and working backwards. So The Game is 3gb, 2hrs long, 1.5 gb per hour hour giving a bitrate of 2.5mbps (1500mb divided by 60, divided by 60), so thats your base line for your compression. As a quick guide a HD video on Youtube is usually around 8mbps, netflix streams at 3mbps, nowtv at 4mbps so its never as high as you think.. When you are trying to convert it from one codec to the other the software is trying to match the frame rate and the bitrate (megabytes per second) which is why it was a similar size the first time you converted it. When anything is automated the computer is assuming a lot of the information so is putting some settings higher than they need to be, like leaving a camera in full auto mode.

Top tips:

Find one that you are happy with the size and quality [/kenneth william.jpg] right click and go to properties, then the details tab and have a look at how it was encoded.

Minimum amount of conversions, re-encode once from your original footage. The problem is encoding is like taking a photocopy. The original is taken from a HD copy, you scale it down and add noise, you do it again and you add noise to the noise so even though you are producing something which, in theory should look fine watched back, it'll look like shit.

If possible, try using a h.264 codec in premiere. select a few of the different presets if you have them and look what it is actually changing, the two biggest will be the mbps of the audio and the video (feel free to treat both differently. a lot of people forget that the audio can be downsampled and save a lot a space) I've grabbed a bit of raw greenscreen footage from a job i did a while ago look at the file size and the difference, not too much change in the colours but you start to see more artifacts in the blacks and fringing, the lowest quality one is 10 times smaller than the highest quality but the difference is minimal. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/trz2poa6vqelgdo/AABHV93cwobAXtpWUxAb-xdGa?dl=0

Use two passes when possible to cut down on noise.

If you want quality, reduce it down to 720, you'll get a better picture and more room to quality

Export to media encoder and encode through there, it's far more stable and quicker than Premiere.

Also apologies if my maths is off or I've rambled, i've had a drink.If it doesnt make sense, message me and i'll try again.

• Moderators

Nah, all makes total sense at a first pass. I will need to read it again a few times to internalise it for sure. But that's great - thanks so much. It makes sense, as Premiere did have the bitrate set to 8, and if I drop it to 3-point-something the filesize comes down to around the 3gb mark so that is spot on!

The artifacts in heavy black scenes and also witth fast movement are the two main things that bother me with poor quality videos, so those are the things I want to avoid most. Thanks for the illustrative examples - very helpful. Going above and beyond as always! Thanks so much.

• Paid Members

Now TV's alright - I use it for the Entertainment Pass, so that I could watch the new Twin Peaks. I'll probably cancel it once the series has finished, as it's just one more subscription service on top of Netflix (which I'm also thinking of cancelling), Amazon Prime, WWE Network, and my actual TV license, and then other monthly payments on top of that.

It's decent, though - I tend to do a bit of binge-watching of stuff on there to get my money's worth, and tend to default to sticking on old comedy stuff. Watched all of The Smell of Reeves & Mortimer and the Armando Iannucci Shows in a couple of days, and scattered bits and bobs of others, caught up on the two seasons of Futurama I hadn't seen, and now they've uploaded the most underrated cartoon ever: The Adventures Of Jeffrey.

I haven't had Sky for years, and haven't tried the sports package on Now TV, but I can't imagine how having Sky could be much of an improvement over Now TV if all you want it for is to have something to watch on the telly more often than not.

• Paid Members

Has anyone ever had a spider bite? I've got a bite on my arm and I've had an extreme reaction so it's not a regular insect bite so I'm wondering what spider bites usually look like. I don't want to Google.

My arm - above my elbow - has swollen to twice the size, it's throbbing, itchy and red (although not as red as yesterday), and hot to the touch. I have two yellow blisters as well. Been to the doctor but he said it's not infected and to take antihistamine and ibuprofen as well as applying antihistamine cream. I feel like I want to chop of my arm!

• Paid Members

Horsefly? I think I can Google that one.

Edit: ok, maybe it's a horsefly bite. A few of the less extreme pictures look like what I have but I don't have all of the symptoms (wheezing, dizziness, etc.). It's driving me up the wall though. It's so painful!

• Paid Members

One of those bastards stung me on my lip when I was a kid on holiday in Millport, trip to the hospital and antihistamine sorted it. You might be having a moderate reaction to it so you've not got all the symptoms. 

• Paid Members

My arm appears to be slightly better today - still swollen and itchy, and the blisters are still yellow and angry - although the tightness seems to have lessened a bit. I was really fed up with it last night.

Archived