Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just moved into a flat and, bizarrely, there are no blinds or curtains nor a rail in my room. I can't be arsed with the faff of going through the landlord (even though it's his responsibility really) and I don't trust I'll get my deposit back if I start drilling holes in the wall.

I've just bought a cheap pair of shit ones from Ikea for £3 which should last me a few weeks. Not perfect, but at least nobody can see through the window while I'm having a wa.....getting changed.

As well as tension rods, 3M Command Strips are pretty good too in situations where you can't do anything permanent. Just make sure you leave the adhesive time to cure before putting any weight on them.

Cheers, I'll look into that. These ones have fallen down three times already.

• Paid Members

Has anybody had experience of "MRI Scans"? I'm shitting myself about this "Radioactive Room" and imagining Spock being killed off for some reason. I've also to cut my hair for it, which isn't particularly long (it was cut in September), what's that all about?

Has anybody had experience of "MRI Scans"? I'm shitting myself about this "Radioactive Room" and imagining Spock being killed off for some reason. I've also to cut my hair for it, which isn't particularly long (it was cut in September), what's that all about?

MRIs are completely fine, I've had loads and the only thing for me is that they are boring and I have to lie still doing nothing for ages. No idea why the have got you to cut your hair as I never have needed that done.

Yep. Nothing to be really worried about, the only thing is that if you are claustrophobic you might need a sedative & it's loud, even with headphones on. I had one which lasted about 30 min to a 1hr and its best to close your eyes & try and imagine you're laying on a beach etc. There's a button they give you so if you feel panicky you can press it and they can talk to you via an intercom. If it's OK to ask, is the MRI scan going to be on your brain?, as that could be why they wanted you to cut your hair, otherwise I don't know why they would suggest it. I found this which might help explain what they might be doing: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=gennuclearAlso MRI's are magnetic, but they can use radioactive dye to assist the diagnostic process. 

Only an abdominal scan, looking around for gallstones.

How long do they take to get the results? I really can't be handling this pain and constant sickness at night.

Not sure if same thing but I've had kidney stones couple of times, and had to have MRIs on full bladder (which is a bitch if you have to wait), then they do one with empty bladder, then they inject you with this radioactive dye (???), which is freaky as you can feel the cold coursing through your veins, then they gave me a couple more scans...

Nothing too strenuous but was weird a as fuck. Best of luck!

I had an MRI earlier in the year, lasted about an hour and 45 minutes and they left me stuck listening to Jeremy Vine through the headphones. Something worth pointing out is it's pretty loud and vibrates a lot so when I got out I was walking as if I was pissed. Felt out of it for a while after, a bit sick. I've spoken to other folk who've had them done and some have said they had the same thing afterwards, some have said they felt fine. Just a heads up incase you feel shitty afterwards that it's not necessarily anything out of the ordinary.

• Paid Members

Whats the difference between MRI and a CT scan then? Everything described above is just like a CT scan I have every six months. Thats on my abdomen too. Not sure if you will have to do this but I have to drink a whole jug of this peachy flavoured milk type drink for 45 mins beforehand. You are then injected with a dye which you can feel going through your body. Someone says its cold but it actually feels warm to me, and when it hits your bladder you feel like you've wet yourself. You can also taste metal for ages. Not the nicest of experiences but you'll be ok.

Archived