Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Anyone know how to get broadband activated in a new home ASAP? I'm moving tomorrow and signed up with Sky a couple of weeks ago with the provision I would have Internet by today, but yesterday I got a letter from them saying it won't be until October 12th. As a student who needs constant access to module information online and someone who works part time online I can't afford to be without Internet for that long. They claim this is the quickest Openreach can set things up, but I'm sure I saw something last week about an Openreach quick activation (ie within a few days) at a cost that I can't find now.

There's a weird Ofcom ruling which means that you cant have a new line on a property until 15 days after the last one has ceased. If your new property has a cease on the line, it could explain the delay, as BT would need to wait for that to complete until your service goes live.

Aside from that provisioning is a bitch all kinds of things can go wrong on a 'simple' new line. including a previous firm leaving tags on the line preventing a line takeover and so on

Least they sent a letter, many of the less customer focused ones dont bother, so you have to ring up and guess  when you are going live

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking for decorating tips for a rented flat I've just moved into. It's all plain white walls, and that wood effect flooring. I'd rather not paint the walls in case the landlord kicks off, but I definitely want to add a bit of colour and personality to it for very little dough. The furniture we've got in the living room is all shitty bland colours as well, brown and grey. I'm thinking of getting some colourful cushions/throws/rugs, a decent sized plant, and a big decal for the wall. Any recommendations for stuff welcome.

• Paid Members

My wife's setting up her own Reflexology business (she's bloody good at it to). Anyways, its getting to the stage of setting up a website.

Does anyone know any decent sites out there for easy web building with potential for the ability to make bookings and stuff?

I've googled but my trust levels in such things would go up tenfold with a recommendation made.

Not sure my dated 2001 Dreamweaver skills will be up to it either.

• Awards Moderator

Keith is right, but if you want to go budget you really can do all that in a Wordpress site. I set one up for a mate who does plumbing etc using this plugin:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/booking/

Best of all you can test it on a free Wordpress site while you understand it, then move to self-hosted when you're comfortable. Almost no HTML or CSS knowledge is required, but ti could help a little.

• Paid Members

This is going to be a really dull question about using computers for illustration and other creative stuff, save yourself the bother of reading the rest unless you can give me advice (which I'd really appreciate)

I've always been a mac user but my 9 year old powerbook should've been put to sleep years ago. I can't afford to get a mac and I've never had a PC but I need a new computer. I'm looking for a PC laptop that would be good for photo editing, illustration, animation and stuff like that, ideally I'd like to be able to use any programs like that that come out in the next couple of years. I also want to spend as little as possible (like £400 or under). Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm clueless.

Cheers in advance if anyone replies.

My wife's setting up her own Reflexology business (she's bloody good at it to). Anyways, its getting to the stage of setting up a website.

Does anyone know any decent sites out there for easy web building with potential for the ability to make bookings and stuff?

I've googled but my trust levels in such things would go up tenfold with a recommendation made.

Not sure my dated 2001 Dreamweaver skills will be up to it either.

Every podcast in the fucking world reckons Squarespace is good for stuff like this. I have no clue if that's the case, but if I was in that spot, I'd pick my favourite podcaster and kick them the forwarding-on money because apparently its a piece of piss to make something that looks well designed. I'm sure Your Fight Site will pick holes because he's in da biz, mind.

• Awards Moderator

This is going to be a really dull question about using computers for illustration and other creative stuff, save yourself the bother of reading the rest unless you can give me advice (which I'd really appreciate)

I've always been a mac user but my 9 year old powerbook should've been put to sleep years ago. I can't afford to get a mac and I've never had a PC but I need a new computer. I'm looking for a PC laptop that would be good for photo editing, illustration, animation and stuff like that, ideally I'd like to be able to use any programs like that that come out in the next couple of years. I also want to spend as little as possible (like £400 or under). Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm clueless.

Cheers in advance if anyone replies.

If you've only ever had Macs you are going to hate moving to Windows.

• Paid Members

WordPress with Eventbrite integration. Simple to develop for yourself and for customers to use. Not sure of the cost though.

Archived