Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

I want to do something worthwhile with my life. I think I'm having a bit of an early mid life crisis. Does anyone know anything about: Starting a podcast; a music label; bringing over bands to tour or promoting shows?

I booked some bands a few years ago for a music venue where I was also promoting a comedy gig. Did it as favour to the owner as he'd no experience with dealing with agents etc. It was a fucking nightmare tbh, the booking agents/tour managers were all an absolute pain the arse to deal with & made it as difficult as possible. I admire any indie venue that manages to secure decent acts (we had a good budget too so it wasn't like I was trying to get top names for pence).

Promoting shows is pretty straightforward & there's a few peeps on here that could give you good advice.

Main thing is, just because you're a big fan of something doesn't mean anyone else is or it'll make money. If you're doing it just to see/meet your favourite artists you'd be better off flying over to where they are & seeing them that way. It'll cost you less.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, much appreciated! No I'm not doing to meet my favourite bands, that doesn't really appeal to me. It's more along the lines of wanting to get bands and acts that I've loved more appreciation and exposure. I'm not into it for making money, but I don't know, there's something inside of me that wants a couple of thousand people across Europe see bands like Knapsack, SamIAm, Jets to Brazil etc so they love them as much as I do, along with newer, undiscovered bands getting a break.

It might just be a vanity project that goes nowhere, but I've got to try before I'm too old and uncool!

• Paid Members

I sold something on ebay and unfortunately sent it through myhermes and they lost the package. The guy I sold it to is going ballistic, myhermes told me to give him a refund then they'd refund me the cost. Is that how it works? If I give him the refund then I get shafted, surely we both have to get compensated? What's the correct protocol for issuing refunds? In 17 years of selling stuff on ebay it's my first package that's gone missing.

Myhermes are the worst

• Paid Members

What's the best video editor software for Windows? It'd be cool if it's free, with a good amount of features, but I could be tempted to go for an Adobe subscription that includes premiere. Just making sure that's the best software?

I sold something on ebay and unfortunately sent it through myhermes and they lost the package. The guy I sold it to is going ballistic, myhermes told me to give him a refund then they'd refund me the cost. Is that how it works? If I give him the refund then I get shafted, surely we both have to get compensated? What's the correct protocol for issuing refunds? In 17 years of selling stuff on ebay it's my first package that's gone missing.

Myhermes are the worst

Yes, you're responsible for refunding the eBay chap - the contract of sale is between you and them, not them and the delivery company. You need to refund him, then go to Hermes for compensation for you.

• Paid Members

What's the best video editor software for Windows? It'd be cool if it's free, with a good amount of features, but I could be tempted to go for an Adobe subscription that includes premiere. Just making sure that's the best software?

Its not the best answer but it depends what you want to do and how many features you want. The majority of them have the same timeline interface now but I've been using Premiere for 18+ years now and its still my fav.

If you want a basic version of it and something to get you started with it try Premiere elements. If you want to dive straight in get a cheaper (or cracked) version of CS6, workflow wise its light-years ahead of everyone else because you can design in photoshop, illustrator and after effects and just chuck them into your projects. We have a video editing thread on here somewhere if theres specifics you want to know about PM me or revive that thread 

• Paid Members

Thanks, much appreciated! No I'm not doing to meet my favourite bands, that doesn't really appeal to me. It's more along the lines of wanting to get bands and acts that I've loved more appreciation and exposure. I'm not into it for making money, but I don't know, there's something inside of me that wants a couple of thousand people across Europe see bands like Knapsack, SamIAm, Jets to Brazil etc so they love them as much as I do, along with newer, undiscovered bands getting a break.

It might just be a vanity project that goes nowhere, but I've got to try before I'm too old and uncool!

I hope you get this off the ground, i love bands of that ilk. That 90's emo/punk scene is definately my favourite era.

• Paid Members

I suppose this is the best place to ask:

In the late 80's into the very early 90's there was an ITV show shown after midnight on a Saturday night.

It was music and popular culture based and had a bit on it called (I am 99% sure) Night Time Radio.  This had a reaily memorable intro of a beautiful white owl swooping towards the camera. During the last episode of the show the Night Time Radio bit ended with the owl flying towards the screen then a shot ringing out with the owl falling backwards as if it had been shot.

I have tried Googling combinations of "ITV", "Night Time Radio" and "Owl" but have had no luck.

Any chance anyone remembers the name of the show.

Night Network.

• Moderators

So, I am looking for a dog backpack. One I can carry my dog in, not one for the dog itself. The catch is that the dog is a bit bigger than your average little dog so ones I've seen online don't look to be suitable. She's only 15kg and pretty small, so it's not unreasonable to think that something should exist out there but I'm coming up empty in my searching. Anyone able to help? Just need something suitable for taking her on short bike rides.

Archived