Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Does anyone have any advice on building self esteem?

Sertraline worked for me.

But really, I'd say you need to identify areas that you can realistically improve about yourself. Not for anyone else. But once you identify an area and work towards that improvement, you do start feeling better about yourself. Prouder.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Totally varied, really — what role? I used to perform for a time as a panto dame, but now it's behind me.

+1 for the joke.

I don't know, I'd like to try out and see. I've no acting background but really enjoy all that stuff, and my joints can't take wrestling as I'm so naturally un-athletic. I just don't want to turn up and have people patting me on the head because they are too polite to tell me to fuck off.

I reckon I could pull off one of the ugly sisters though.

Ohh err.

How much acting experience does someone need for an amateur dramatics group, specifically for something like a panto.

None at all, really.

You may get the odd theatre group that will require you to have some sort of experience, but they are rare and not worth performing with anyway. But, for the most part, am-dram groups welcome anybody from seasoned vets to total newbies.

• Awards Moderator

How much acting experience does someone need for an amateur dramatics group, specifically for something like a panto.

They'll ask you to audition just to see what you can do. Then cast you appropriately. This won't be a yes/no, more prop-master-or-lead-male. Right now is the best time to get in time for this season's panto.

• Paid Members
Tommy!, on 18 Jul 2016 - 21:27, said:

Sergio Mendacious, on 18 Jul 2016 - 21:17, said:

Totally varied, really — what role? I used to perform for a time as a panto dame, but now it's behind me.

+1 for the joke.

I don't know, I'd like to try out and see. I've no acting background but really enjoy all that stuff, and my joints can't take wrestling as I'm so naturally un-athletic. I just don't want to turn up and have people patting me on the head because they are too polite to tell me to fuck off.

I reckon I could pull off one of the ugly sisters though.

Ohh err.

Check the Little Theatre Guild. http://littletheatreguild.org/ Theres usually at least one in a decent distance.

Does anyone have any advice on building self esteem?

Short term, try reading something like, The Chimp Paradox or Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway.  Longer term, it's about reassertion of the things you do everyday that you know you are actually good at when you disect them properly to the nth degree, and then go yeah I can be sure of things XYZ I know iam good at them and thus self esteem will start to improve. Counselling, and exercise and simple things lie listing your achievements will help reinforce your core values that yes you can and yes you are good enough.

• Paid Members

Anyone got any experience with stomach ulcers? Specifically ones caused by far too much ibuprofen? I am 99% sure I've got one, can't confirm until the doctor sees me next week but all the symptoms fit and honestly it was only a matter of time given the quantity of ibuprofen I was taking daily to get my codiene fix and save my liver. From what I've been reading, it should be ok - there's some medication I can take for like a month and obviously stop taking ibuprofen. But could do with a little reassurance.

Archived