Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Back on to phrases that boil your piss, this one has irked me for ages, 'let alone', for example the phrase Google provides when you type 'let alone' in to the search bar..."he was incapable of leading a bowling team, let alone a country".

Now in this instance I would assume that the person in question is a world leader, there for mocking how poor he is at leading. I swear that I hear this term used incorrectly so often and people use it the wrong way around. I believe I even heard Attenborough using it incorrectly on the first episode of his new show.

Am I right with this theory and am I correct with my understanding of the term? If I'm not then it makes no fucking sense at all.

• Paid Members

Cumberland

The last one I heard in person was along the lines of 'they couldn't run the company, let alone this office' they were talking about a senior company manager, which suggests that the office is more prominent than the entire company. Some people seem to get the emphasis of importance mixed up.

• Paid Members

Right I've got an audition for a play about Joy Division on Friday. Trouble is it requires me to learn two songs on the guitar if I get the part. Transmission and Shadowplay. Naturally I've never played a guitar before. How hard would it be to just learn two songs by the end of March guitar players? Shall I take lessons just to play the specific songs? Or am I being a complete mad man and politely cancel the audition explaining the obvious?

Legit help here. Thanks.

Archived