Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've read a lot about the 3 (or in some cases 2) months salary business and if i'm to continue paying off the mortgage/car/bills then i'll be pretty fucked hence the very low budget i've had to set for myself.

I'll be definately looking into the BNPL option, although i didn't really want another outgoing to throw into things. Cheers for that info though!

If she is bothered about the months salary bollocks then don't marry her. Fuck all that bollocks, it's the commitment to spend your life with her it what counts.

Yeah this. Technically my wife made the proposal, but it was more like a sales pitch. She basically said how would I like to get married in x amount of months at a certain low cost and I wouldn't have to plan any of it. As romantic as that sounds I laughed in her face until I realised she was serious.

When we did get around to buying the engagement ring (they still want one even if you get married first) she actually chose the cheaper of the two selected. That salary stuff is bollocks for girls who bang on about being treated like princesses and post Marilyn Monroe memes.

• Paid Members

It's a De Beers thing. They realised they weren't selling enough diamonds in the 20s and 30s, so they undertook a massive campaign to persuade everyone that buying an engagement ring with a diamond in it is what every woman wants. Up until that point, rings weren't a given; a lot of people didn't bother, or they gave different things as symbols of their marriage.

"Diamonds - because nothing says 'I love you' than a lump of sparkly carbon clawed from the guts of the earth by African slave labour for an imperialist conglomerate."

• Paid Members

I proposed last month on a similar budget to you. Got a lovely little ring from Crouch which went down a treat. 

If I'd spent 3 months wages on it, (Which I never would, or could) she'd have gone up the fucking wall. 

Good luck bro.

It's a De Beers thing. They realised they weren't selling enough diamonds in the 20s and 30s, so they undertook a massive campaign to persuade everyone that buying an engagement ring with a diamond in it is what every woman wants. Up until that point, rings weren't a given; a lot of people didn't bother, or they gave different things as symbols of their marriage.

"Diamonds - because nothing says 'I love you' than a lump of sparkly carbon clawed from the guts of the earth by African slave labour for an imperialist conglomerate."

I'm sure marriage itself has some pretty dodgy origins as well. Funny world.

• Paid Members

I'm sure marriage itself has some pretty dodgy origins as well. Funny world.

There was an anthropological article doing the rounds a few years ago that asserted that marriage was basically created when agrarian societies first appeared. Before that, as hunter-gatherer societies were largely nomadic, moving around hunting lands, there was no real concept of ownership, due to the structure of the tribe/society being centred around communal obligation; everything the hunters caught, the gatherers gathered, and whatever the others made or did, was for the tribe to be shared equally - "from each according to his/her ability to each according to his/her need", and all that. One of the things included in this communal sharing was relationships, with people moving around amongst each other, changing living arrangements and partners to suit.

When agrarian societies came about, ownership was established to mark out the land a person could inhabit and farm. Once this was instituted, marriage was inevitable: women were pretty much chattels to be effectively purchased and contracted as belonging to one man.

Archived