Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Yeah, I live in a flat that is a converted house, the owners live on the ground floor. We are both at the same address but I'm in a self contained flat so the council tax is for two flats and not one house. My address isn't on the Royal Mail list but the property is.

So you have the same address as the owner, is that right?
Yeah, same front door to the property but two different doors to the flats. Two lots of meters, amenities, broadband etc. Same address as "Upper Floor Flat" or anything like that isn't listed.

Interesting. If you're not on the royal Mail list, how do you get mail/bills?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I live in a flat that is a converted house, the owners live on the ground floor. We are both at the same address but I'm in a self contained flat so the council tax is for two flats and not one house. My address isn't on the Royal Mail list but the property is.

So you have the same address as the owner, is that right?
Yeah, same front door to the property but two different doors to the flats. Two lots of meters, amenities, broadband etc. Same address as "Upper Floor Flat" or anything like that isn't listed.

Interesting. If you're not on the royal Mail list, how do you get mail/bills?

As I said, the property is on the Royal Mail list, just not the individual flats.

I'm looking to go to uni through Clearing. I've left it late to make the decision to try go to uni. My big problems are a) I was a bellend in sixth form and came in as and when I pleased and ended up with 200 UCAS points, and b) there's no course that stands out as definitely the one for me. However, Audio and Music Production is something I have an interest in learning but I have no background in it at all.

So is it worth trying to get on that course? Do I gear my Personal Statement towards it knowing the odds on me getting on the course could be slim? How do I go about the Personal Statement if I have fuck all experience in it but am keen on it?

If you're applying now through clearing for this year, it probably won't make a huge difference what's on the personal statement. They'll be accepting you because they're undersubscribed and desperate to fill up the courses for the money. I'm not sure about music production, but there'll be plenty of media courses that have music production modules and they'd be easy enough to come by via clearing.

But as far as writing a personal statement on a topic you have no experience in, you could explain the interest. Books you've read, producers you're interested in etc etc. And try to tie your life experience into what has led you to this point and what transferable skills you have. Specifically for music production, because it's so easy to get software on your computer, you should have some experience of trying it yourself. Maybe along the lines of having used GarageBand or Audacity or whatever and now wanting to pursue it seriously and properly. If you've not had a go at them yourself, lie on the form, then have a go at them before you get there. Although none of the teachers will have seen the personal statement anyway.

• Paid Members

Has anyone every tried to claim compensation after an injury at work? About 6 months ago I had an accident at work that wasn't my fault, basically a lack of communication and planning resulted in me having 150kg dropped on my fingers, breaking the middle and ring finger on my right hand. The ring finger has healed completely fine but the middle finger now has tendon damage and won't straighten completely at the last joint (known as trigger finger) also meaning I can't make a completely tight fist, the nail bed is fucked too and needs to be removed. 

So basically what I'm asking is where do I start? Should I phone one of the companies that have ads on the tv? Are there ones I should be avoiding? I'm sure I've seen one before that said you don't pay them anything from your compensation as they collect all costs from the other party but I can't seem find them online. Is this something the CAB can help with? I've kept a pretty good record of stuff, x rays, photos, medical report etc so I should definitely be able to claim something, it's just making sure I don't get duped in the process. 

Have you approached your employer directly? If it's a straightforward case of negligence on their part then the chances are they may want to settle with you directly rather than run the risk of invoking legal fees on top of any settlement. Failing that then look for a high street firm who take on PI claims on a no win-no fee basis and who will seek to recover their costs from the other side, separately from any payout.

Cheers for that Pitcos, much appreciated. Before reading this, I had a play around on Fruity Loops yesterday. No idea what I'm doing really but I'm intrigued by it. I wonder if I can get away with mentioning my sick beats I made on Music 2000 for the PS1. Might still have the memory card for my portfolio.

• Paid Members

Cheers for that Pitcos, much appreciated. Before reading this, I had a play around on Fruity Loops yesterday. No idea what I'm doing really but I'm intrigued by it. I wonder if I can get away with mentioning my sick beats I made on Music 2000 for the PS1. Might still have the memory card for my portfolio.

"Willing to embrace a wide range of technology from various eras"

I had the first Music program for the PS1. It wasn't great, but it let me but drum tracks together in styles that I couldn't do myself and then export them and put guitars and stuff over them.

• Paid Members

Cheers Mungo, I haven't contacted them directly as tbh I wouldn't even know who to contact, I work on a contractor basis and deal with one woman who emails me everything I need to know, only ever been to the head office once. It's definitely negligence on their part, I was asked to review the investigation report and it says in there that it was lack of planning, PPE not fit for use etc so I don't think they can go back on that now. I also got talking to a guy in the pub last night, who made a claim a few years ago, he told me I can do it through my union and they don't take a penny win or lose, so giving them a call later today.

Absolutely go down the union route if you're a member, or even eligible for membership.  I tend to forget about how much unions can actaully do on behalf of their membership because I've never been in one as it's just not necessary in my job role.

• Paid Members

Union route is the best way to go, it's what they are there for. At the very least they can sit in on any meetings about it and make sure you get a fair deal. It also helps to have them on board in case work see their arse about you trying to claim some money.

• Paid Members

One more for the union route. I'm always on at people to join unions, because of how much they actually do. These compensation claim lawyers are no match for unions, both in terms of how much they claim out of the compensation won, and in terms of how much they can actually get for the plaintiff.

Problem is not enough people know how much union membership can benefit them. Mainly because of Thatcher and her gang in the 80s, and the media joining in the demonisation.

• Paid Members

Spoke to my union and they're sending me out all the forms to get things started and they've said that 9 times out of 10 they get an out of court settlement within a couple of months so I'm pretty happy with that. You're completely right Carbomb, people overlook unions far too easily these days, myself included. I've paid in to my union for about 5 years now and I've never really given them another thought other than when I have a quick flick through their trade paper every month, a shame really.

I've bought a refurbished laptop with no OS, and bought a Windows 8 key so it's all validated now... But I haven't had the notification about the free Windows 10 upgrade yet. I bought a new laptop a few weeks back (which I returned because it was a bit rubbish for the money) and I recall the notification on that happening fairly soon after I set it up.

Look for a file called GWX.exe, should be in the windows\system 32 folder. That's the file that opens up and offers the Windows 10 deal so try opening it, if not then you might need to update your OS but it should do that on its own.

Found the GWX folder and file, but nothing happens when I try to open it. I wonder if I should have done a clean install of Windows instead of just activating the trial build.

Edit: Uninstalling the KB303blahblah update and reinstalling it worked.

Archived