Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

@Ralphy Get some Omega 3 down your neck, it helps with some brain stuff or other and makes the pathways clearer so thoughts are clearer.  Am I right in saying you do not have a smartphone? Sounds daft but Pokemon Go helps me a helluva lot.

Also, on my phone at the mo so can't link, but I can't recommend the book "Healing Without Freud Or Prozac" enough.  Some fascinating stuff in there that could change your life. 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anti depressants make me feel like a zombie as well. Constantly yawning, 1000  yard stare, itchy as fuck due to dehydration, but if I drink water I'm pissing like a fucking camel.

I've been off them for about a month and the main difference I've noticed is being paranoid as fuck after social situations. Analysing conversations, noticing patterns, which mean fuck all, but convincing myself that nearly every conversation I have with somebody , anybody, they're actually being underhanded, mocking me in a veiled way etc. It's annoying as fuck. I can't sleep either.

I love life. ☺

• Paid Members

This is one for Londoners, although anyone can answer if they have any ideas. 

I'm doing a module at uni called The Mediated City. It's looking at different examples of urban media in pictures, videos and audio. To be honest, I'm not really feeling it. I'm creating an urban media inventory and I'm racking my brains trying to think of some unconventional examples around London that I could go visit and the pictures and what not of. 

This is the first time in uni where I've really not felt engaged with the module and I'm quite uninspired. So, can anybody think of anything I might go and check out? 

Cheers. 

• Paid Members

Graffiti or street art would be one example, yeah. Also music. Those are the most conventional examples. I suppose it can really can anything that in some way conveys a message or an idea, within an urban setting. 

It can also be the means by which media is delivered. 

Ah I see. Well graffiti wise, Stockwell Park or Leake Street would be the most obvious answers. 

Music wise, how about Banquet Records in Kingston? Been there since I can remember, always been independent, they put on over 300 gigs a year, from rock, metal, hip hop (ranging from Blink 182 to Giggs to Wolf Alice), they do instores every week, they sponsor Kingstonian FC, they often do cool social media bits. Plus I'm sure they'd be up for being interviewed if you need that kind of thing. Jon who runs the shop is the nicest guy.

I used to be down with where all the rapping cyphers used to pop up of an evening in London but have no idea anymore 

• Moderators

How about trying to find all the biggest, invasive, crass and generally horrendous bits of advertising in the city that we just can't get the fuck away from as hard as we might try. Or even just cataloging all the ads you see in an average day, and presenting it in such a way as to highlight the incessant volume of it?

Or is it specifically about finding as many different things as possible? Does sound like a bit of a shit assignment tbh.

On this topic though, I haven't seen one of those religious nuts with a loudhailer for ages...

• Paid Members

All decent ideas, guys. Thanks a lot. 

The urban media inventory is 45% of the grade of the module. They want around 10 examples, one or two a week, with around 3000 words total accompanying them. On top of finding good examples, I also have to put them in an academic context. Ugh. 

• Paid Members

A friend of mine is a graffiti artist who’s a regular on Leake Street. If you want to speak to him about anything related to this just let me know. It’s an interesting concept and open to different interpretations. I also like the idea of looking at how media is consumed these days. You could include things like QR codes on physical adverts, augmented reality and location-based marketing, silent discos, reading newspapers on phones/tablets, digital billboards, etc.

out of interest, what exactly is the brief for the assignment?

• Paid Members

@SpursRiot2012 a mate of mine in London creates what I'd class as unconventional art. He creates installations in pop ups and galleries but was in the graffiti scene and numerous other art based stuff. I'll give him a shout and put you in touch.

@Ralphy @Keith Houchen @Ladiesman345 there's been a lot of research regarding Bacteria, the digestive system and general mood. The more I've read (including a talk) the more I've started to really take it on board. Although I work with in mental health, I'm not ashamed to say I struggle with bouts/issues from time to time. Mine are specifically linked to panic and risk assessment, which leads to an aggressive form of depression in which I become highly agitated and very tense, my tolerance levels are shot to bits and puts a strain on relationships etc. This leads to guilt and the circle continues.

Anyway, I'm giving the Pro-Biotic concept ago. These seem to be the most suggested and holland & Barrett sell them. I'm 4 days in, but I'm also dealing with the worst bout in quite some time. Last night I screamed fuck off at a public bin because I miss judged it's distance when I tried to chuck some rubbish in it. Not as funny as it sounds when with your wife and child in front of other families.

IMG_0759.JPG

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Thank you, ive had big issues with my stomach since i was 16, i am 32 soon, i do take pro biotics, but i have been told mixed things about them, please let me know how u get on with those, i was told that they can take upto 30 days to really notice a difference 

No problem. I'm giving them a go as they were advised by people who I trust the opinion of, who have taken them and they have worked. I'm willing to give at least 30 days a go considering I've had similar stomach issues since being a young teen, along with wellbeing bother. 30 days is nothing compared to 16 years of on and off problems.

• Paid Members

@Monkee and @Kaz Hayashi thanks a lot. QR codes is a great idea actually. 

@Monkee some details:

The Mediated City explores media through the lenses of urban spaces and city living. Beginning with a media tour of - and hands-on workshop in - London's West End, you are encouraged to examine some more unconventional sense of 'media'. City living compels us to use, need and even desire media content and devices in quite particular ways. Meanwhile, media forms, technologies and industries exist in and are even 'built-into' urban spaces: for example the street, the tube, the suburb, the bar, the public square. In this module, we highlight how the city provides a unique lens to critically study, understand and define media. And at the same time, we use media and mediation as a lens to understand the city.

Screenshot_20171016-124158.png

Archived