Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Wondering if anyone can help me. It takes three working days for a payment to go from one bank account to another. If a payment was sent on a Thursday would there be any chance that it could go in by midnight Sunday/Monday morning? My bank is actually open on Saturday if that helps?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
Wondering if anyone can help me. It takes three working days for a payment to go from one bank account to another. If a payment was sent on a Thursday would there be any chance that it could go in by midnight Sunday/Monday morning? My bank is actually open on Saturday if that helps?

My recent experiences of transferring money, regardless of whether it's the same bank or two different ones, is that it happens within a couple of hours. That's based on me transferring online but I don't know if it's different if you do it in the real world with human people.

• Paid Members

My recent experiences of transferring money, regardless of whether it's the same bank or two different ones, is that it happens within a couple of hours. That's based on me transferring online but I don't know if it's different if you do it in the real world with human people.

Nah, different banks (like, Barclays to Natwest, for example) can take a few days (3-4 maybe) - that's a BACS transfer. I think I had to do something called a SAC transfer for the exchange of keys on my flat, which was instant, but cost money. IIRC, the other kind, which is for larger amounts, and needs guarantees, is a CraQwaQs - don't recall what it stands for.

• Awards Moderator
Nah, different banks (like, Barclays to Natwest, for example) can take a few days (3-4 maybe) - that's a BACS transfer. I think I had to do something called a SAC transfer for the exchange of keys on my flat, which was instant, but cost money. IIRC, the other kind, which is for larger amounts, and needs guarantees, is a CraQwaQs - don't recall what it stands for.

BACS transfers, which are what most wage payments are made through, take 2 working days. CHAPS transfers can be next day or same day and as you say, have an associated cost. I've transferred money to mates and also has money transferred from people from other banks which has cost them nothing other than the value of the payment and it's hit my account within a couple of hours. As you've put, though, it may vary from bank to bank.

EDIT: quoted like a tit.

Londoners - I'm in the big smoke this weekend for the Fulham/Sunderland game amongst other things. I can't be arsed to go on the tube website and figure it all out when you lot are normally so helpful. Thus, please give me some tube advice.

- I get in about 5 tomorrow night and am heading over to Somerset House from Kings Cross. From there I dunno where, but my final destination will be Ladbroke Grove.

- Sunday, I'll be off to Craven Cottage.

- Monday, I'll be off from Ladbroke Grove to Victoria Bus Station.

My questions are:

- Is there a 4-day or something ticket that will sort me out for the whole time I'm there? Alternatively, is there a weekend one that goes from Friday to the end of Sunday? And roughly what costs will I be looking at?

- Would you just recommend me getting a ticket for my Friday night travel, and then similarly one for the Sunday and the Monday indvidiually. The Sunday and Monday won't be a problem as I'll be with my brother who I'm sure will let me know the cheapest, but on the Friday night I'll be sorting myself out, so I'd like not to stupidly rip myself off like the thick Northerner I am.

Yous get the jist anyway. What say you? Cheers.

BACS transfers, which are what most wage payments are made through, take 2 working days. CHAPS transfers can be next day or same day and as you say, have an associated cost. I've transferred money to mates and also has money transferred from people from other banks which has cost them nothing other than the value of the payment and it's hit my account within a couple of hours. As you've put, though, it may vary from bank to bank.

EDIT: quoted like a tit.

I work for a bank and we no longer use BACS anymore. As mentioned, it is still used for wage, benefits etc payments.

All other payments are now sent via a Faster Payment method - depending on the amount (every bank will have their own daily limit for security) the payment will either leave immediately and arrive with the recipient within 2 hours, or leave at the end of the working day and arrive within 24 hours.

There's no charge for doing a Faster Payment.

• Paid Members

What he said. My gaffe has a 2K maximum on "Faster Payments" both sent and received via the interbank/bill payment method. Anything above 2K and up to 5K is sent the same method but will take longer to arrive. Anything larger has to go via CHAPS for which there is a

What would you do if..

You've finished uni till October and have a part time job, your earning minimum wage and they are giving you 2 hour shifts for 3 days. Your bus fare costs you an hours pay or the walk to work is 75 minutes. Your manager is very aggressive, uneducated and has terrible people skills.

What dya do? (my situation)

What would you do if..

You've finished uni till October and have a part time job, your earning minimum wage and they are giving you 2 hour shifts for 3 days. Your bus fare costs you an hours pay or the walk to work is 75 minutes. Your manager is very aggressive, uneducated and has terrible people skills.

Is that a maths GCSE question?

• Paid Members

I'd look into getting a different job sharpish. I can't imagine there are many that are worse than that.

Make sure you have a big melt down on the way out. Leave your mark.

What make up do goth's use to 'white up' their faces & where would you get it from?

I would have a guess they would just use white face paint/make up. When I went to a fancy dress party as Gene Simmons I used some stuff called Snazaroo which is available in all fancy dress shops for about

What would you do if..

Fuck it off, definitely not worth the hassle. By the time you take out the bus fare is it worth the 18 quid?

Archived