Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Has anyone else had a load of Muller Rice delivered to their offices today? I know of three offices in Cardiff that have had a few hundred dropped off, us being one of them.

• Paid Members
In football what is the semi circle bit at the end of the box used for?

Wiki

The penalty mark (or "penalty spot") is immediately in the middle of, and 11 metres (12 yds) in front of, the goal; this is the point from where penalty kicks are taken. The penalty arc (colloquially "the D") is marked from the outside edge of the penalty area, 9.15 metres (10 yds) from the penalty mark; this, along with the penalty area, marks an exclusion zone for all players other than the attacking kicker and defending goalkeeper during a penalty kick.

Wiki

The penalty mark (or "penalty spot") is immediately in the middle of, and 11 metres (12 yds) in front of, the goal; this is the point from where penalty kicks are taken. The penalty arc (colloquially "the D") is marked from the outside edge of the penalty area, 9.15 metres (10 yds) from the penalty mark; this, along with the penalty area, marks an exclusion zone for all players other than the attacking kicker and defending goalkeeper during a penalty kick.

In other words.......it's pretty much pointless!

• Paid Members

Wiki

Not really. It stops dickheads standing in the way if you take a longer run-up while taking a penalty.

Wiki

No, in other words it's absolutely neccesary. How do you reckon a ref would ensure that all the other players are ten yards from the ball? He'd have to pace it out for each player which would take ages so the penalty arc does this job for him.

What i meant is, would it really matter if the players were just stood around the edge of the box. Not that it's worth arguing about!

Yes it would matter cos they would be closer to the ball than and therefore more chance of intercepting.. or some such stuff

Anyways

Why do Cricket and Tennis stop for rain?

Silly question i know but ive never had a proper answer

Has anyone else had a load of Muller Rice delivered to their offices today? I know of three offices in Cardiff that have had a few hundred dropped off, us being one of them.

There was a lorry/van/camper thing giving them out for free by Churchill Way last few days.

Watching Wimbledon, I found something about the scoring system I never noticed before...

Why does the term for 'no score' change? In a regular game its 'love' ('15 Love etc), but when there's a tie-break going on the umpire announces it as zero (Two zero, Murray). Why is this?

Why do Cricket and Tennis stop for rain?

Silly question i know but ive never had a proper answer

Because they'd become farcical.

Both games rely on a firm playing surface.

On top of that, in cricket the wicket would get destroyed if you played on it in the rain and the ball would deteriorate.

In tennis it would become dangerous to play on a slippery surface and the ball wouldn't bounce or fly properly once it was soggy.

I suspected the wicket thing but no on e has flat out confirmed it. cant they play on plastic pitches with water resistant balls though... would be fun :p

When i was younger i played in a cricket tournament when it started raining quite heavily. But for whatever reason the match wasn't stopped.....until the fourth time me and the other batsman had the bats slip out of our hands and going flying towards a fielder. So that could be another reason!

When i was younger i played in a cricket tournament when it started raining quite heavily. But for whatever reason the match wasn't stopped.....until the fourth time me and the other batsman had the bats slip out of our hands and going flying towards a fielder. So that could be another reason!

Thanks for the answers.... The flying cricket bat would add a new aspect to the game... now to put some explosives ala wrestling on the field, could make things interesting :thumbsup:

Archived