Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Good with people? Gift of the gab? Sales/customer service experience? Audio typing?

It's a call center, they're always pretty needy for staff in my experience.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Long and short of it is - almost all professionals working in video/audio use Macs as the software is better and they are much more reliable. This may change in the future, but right now if you want to learn with the tools the pros use, get a Mac.

Cheers Loki, got any recommendations for which I should get? I'm appaulingly bad at shopping for computer related things.

You need a laptop, right? The best thing to do is find out what software you're going to use, what its recommended spec is, and then go for whichever MacBok provides that grunt.

I get confused at the processor specs of Macs now - used to be that they said "DualCore 1.5Ghz" which meant you got 3Ghz of processing in total. Now in the Intel era it says "1.5Ghz Core 2 Duo" which means 2 cores on one chip. So does that deliver 1.5 Ghz or 3 Ghz?

I'd say that the minimum processing you want for something like Final Cut would be 2.5 GHz in all, and at least 2Gig of RAM if not 4. RAM probably more important nowadays unless you're doing realtime stuff like effects or 3d rendering.

Long and short of it is - almost all professionals working in video/audio use Macs as the software is better and they are much more reliable. This may change in the future, but right now if you want to learn with the tools the pros use, get a Mac.

Cheers Loki, got any recommendations for which I should get? I'm appaulingly bad at shopping for computer related things.

You need a laptop, right? The best thing to do is find out what software you're going to use, what its recommended spec is, and then go for whichever MacBok provides that grunt.

I get confused at the processor specs of Macs now - used to be that they said "DualCore 1.5Ghz" which meant you got 3Ghz of processing in total. Now in the Intel era it says "1.5Ghz Core 2 Duo" which means 2 cores on one chip. So does that deliver 1.5 Ghz or 3 Ghz?

I'd say that the minimum processing you want for something like Final Cut would be 2.5 GHz in all, and at least 2Gig of RAM if not 4. RAM probably more important nowadays unless you're doing realtime stuff like effects or 3d rendering.

Thanks a lot Loki, really appreciate the help. One final thing, I've heard nothing but bad things about the Apple mouse and was wondering if you could suggest a suitable alternative? I quite like the idea of scrolling left and right and the bluetooth connectivity would save a USB port wouldn't it? Anyway, if you or anyone else could name a suitable alternative I'd be even more grateful.

• Paid Members
Thanks a lot Loki, really appreciate the help. One final thing, I've heard nothing but bad things about the Apple mouse and was wondering if you could suggest a suitable alternative? I quite like the idea of scrolling left and right and the bluetooth connectivity would save a USB port wouldn't it? Anyway, if you or anyone else could name a suitable alternative I'd be even more grateful.

The scroll point on the Apple mice is fucking terrible. I've gone through three of them in work in about the last year and a half and now just a Dell USB mouse that I pinched from IT. The right click on an Apple mouse is a bit tricky but fine once you get used to it.

Seeing as you're going for a MacBook, though, the mouse shouldn't really be an issue as you'll more than likely just use the touch pad which has gestures for scrolling and the like.

:yinyang: Am i the only person who's having trouble re-sizing my pictures on photobucket ie: it won't fucking let me do it?

Actually while i'm here does anyone know any other good image hosting sites i can use where i can re-size my pictures?

Imagevenue sorta lets you do it.

The scroll point on the Apple mice is fucking terrible. I've gone through three of them in work in about the last year and a half and now just a Dell USB mouse that I pinched from IT. The right click on an Apple mouse is a bit tricky but fine once you get used to it.

Seeing as you're going for a MacBook, though, the mouse shouldn't really be an issue as you'll more than likely just use the touch pad which has gestures for scrolling and the like.

Just buy a standard, decent Microsoft mouse to be honest. They work out of the box, and are a lot more robust than the gimmicky Apple ones.

21MP30W7W8L._SL500_AA200_.jpg

Why must Joe_The_Lion always have an irritating signature? The Hasselhoff/Hogan one was dreck and seemed to be there forever, and now it's the most mental picture of Shawn Michaels coupled with a really bad screengrab of his Mania entrance. Sort it out Joe. :( Lawz too. As much as I love you, it's time to move on. You're not even 22 anymore man!

Letting me know that you are irritated by it isn't going to make it go away any quicker. :p

It's killing me.

Just buy a standard, decent Microsoft mouse to be honest. They work out of the box, and are a lot more robust than the gimmicky Apple ones.

21MP30W7W8L._SL500_AA200_.jpg

:laugh: I loved the picture documentation there. Yeah got it sorted now, cheers Loki.

And elegia, obviously. ;)

• Paid Members

I purchased a bass guitar very cheaply recently (but it's not a cheap bass, it was a bargain) and I already had a bass amplifier to play my electronic drumkit on but I don't have a lead to connect the bass to the amp, what kind of lead do I need and where can I obtain one?

Thanks

I *aham* get copys of PPV's from friends, and i'm sick of watching them on my laptop, So I found a old moniter cable from my old desktop moniter and i connected it to my laptop and my Samsung LCD tv it started out working fine but now it keeps switching the tv on stand by when i select the PC option. Any idea why? and how can i fix this problem.

Thanks

Archived