Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Star Trek Next Gen and DS9 ran concurrently from January 1993 until May 1994 during the last two series of the former and first two series of the latter with DS9 airing Sunday nights and Next Gen on Monday nights. In truth it's not a great example since though the two existed within the same universe there were only a handful of crossovers during that timeframe - Picard appearing in the pilot of DS9, Bashir showing up when the Enterprise docks at DS9 in "Birthright" pt 1, and O'Brien and Keiko moving from one show to the other.

Frasier was a spinoff though. It started when Cheers ended right? I know characters from Cheers appeared in Frasier, but they were never running concurrently

Correct. Cheers ended in the May (1993), Frasier started in the September.

The Wire and the X-Files are implied to be in the same universe, through the character John Munch.

Never ran concurrently, which is what I think Forrest was getting at.

Friends and Mad About You existed in the same universe (through Ursula), although I wouldn't necessarily describe them as "connected."

I've been thinking about Raw/Smackdown and wondered is there any other examples of weekly scripted TV programmes with two or more connected shows? The only one that sticks out for me is Casualty and Holby City. They're set in the same hospital and feature the same collective mass who appear on both shows from time to time and they're canonically linked. Is there any other examples? I thought Brookside and Hollyoaks were, but I'm not sure.

Also, is there any other 3-hour scripted shows which are weekly?

The only link between Brookside and Hollyoaks was the writer behind them, Phil Redmond.

Na they existed in the same universe as well, as evidenced by Matt Musgrove appearing in both. This Wikipedia page gives a summary of the younger Musgrove's misadventures, and also reminded me about Hollyoaks: After Hours whch is a perfect example of what Forrest is getting at. Tinhead was in that and all, further cementing the existence of a Brookside-Hollyoaks hyperreality.

The Simpsons and the Critic briefly ran concurrently in the mid 90s and existed in the same universe by virtue of the Film Festival episode of the Simpsons, which is a contender for the best ever despite Matt Groening's disdain for it.

4557_85993232935_84916267935_1766434_5312566_n.jpg

• Moderators
Friends and Mad About You existed in the same universe (through Ursula), although I wouldn't necessarily describe them as "connected."

In the same way, Mad About You and Seinfeld had a bit of crossover with Kramer... but that was pretty much NBC just piggybacking MAd About You on Seinfeld's success.

If you're using single episode crossovers large chunks of TV shows exist in the same universe - which is in the mind of an autistic child called Tommy Westphall. This page explains and this pdf lists all the crossovers which get you to that point, this wiki might be more up to date

Admittedly if you limit it to characters appearing in other shows it's not quite as comprehensive (the linked stuff also uses mentions of characters/companies).

• Paid Members
Admittedly if you limit it to characters appearing in other shows it's not quite as comprehensive (the linked stuff also uses mentions of characters/companies).

Even so, John Munch still has an admirable number of cross over appearances...

As it's been previously said all three CSI shows exist in the same universe and have all had crossovers between each other, i suppose technically you could also include Cold Case and Without A Trace in that as they've both done crossovers with CSI as well.

I know Wings and Cheers both existed in the same universe as well as Kelsey Grammer, Bebe Neuwirth, George Wendt, John Ratzenberger, and Kirstie Alley all appeared in different episodes as their Cheers characters. Fun Fact: Kelsey Grammer was the first american to be nominated for an Emmy Award for playing the same character in three different shows.

• Paid Members

I think Saracen being a fireman made him much more appealing to the females! I remembered a crossover in an episode of Las Vegas a few months ago and they did a crossover with Crossing Jordan that featured Jerry O Connell and some brunette, I don't know who they all look the same on those US cop dramas.

• Paid Members

My back went out last Wednesday and I've been on a cocktail of pain killers/muscle relaxers since. Any idea how long after taking Diazepam 2mg and Tramadol 50mg before its completely safe to drink alcohol. I mean a proper knees up rather than the odd pint. I won't touch the stuff whilst I'm on them but when am I good to go?

Archived