Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members
Sounds suspiciously like Hatebreed.

It was the day AC/DC were there a couple of years back.

Beyond that I have no idea. They aren't listed as there on that day on Wiki though.

Edit: Looking at this on wiki when do day tickets go on sale for this years?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I rather dislike the ridiculous generalisations and shoehornings going on here as somewhat of a diehard heavy metal fan. And Hatebreed aren't even a metal band, they're some sort of modern hardcore. And no, because it's loud and has guitars doesn't make it heavy metal.

• Paid Members

Got a DVD problem that I cant seem to figure out. I have a dvd which I ripped straight to my computer by dragging and dropping the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders and their contents to my hard drive. When I burn these two folders and their contents to a fresh DVD it produces a disc that sets off the DVD Player on my computer, but the screen's completely black instead of going to the menu. The files and folders on the working disk and the non working disc seem to be identical, and there were no issues when ripping so I'm assuming none of the duplicate files are corrupt. I'm completely at a loss, but also realising my skills in this area are pretty lacking so I'm hoping theres a simple solution or something I'm not doing. Any ideas? I'm burning to Memorex DVD+R, but do have a few different blank media to hand.

btw, this is a DVD I own the copyright on, so I'm not doing anything dodgy :p

• Paid Members
And Hatebreed aren't even a metal band, they're some sort of modern hardcore. And no, because it's loud and has guitars doesn't make it heavy metal.

To the average chap in the street 9 times in 10 I believe it does I'm afraid.

• Paid Members
I rather dislike the ridiculous generalisations and shoehornings going on here as somewhat of a diehard heavy metal fan. And Hatebreed aren't even a metal band, they're some sort of modern hardcore. And no, because it's loud and has guitars doesn't make it heavy metal.

Nobody said it did.

The "Hatebreed aren't even a metal band" argument is so typical of metal fans and bands themselves. This desperation to not fall under the "heavy metal" banner and instead conjure up ridiculous genre titles is embarassing.

• Moderators
And Hatebreed aren't even a metal band, they're some sort of modern hardcore. And no, because it's loud and has guitars doesn't make it heavy metal.

To the average chap in the street 9 times in 10 I believe it does I'm afraid.

Nothing to do with "average chap on the street". Over sub-categorisation within music genres and the dogmatic aherence to them is dumb. Use them as a useful tool for helping people understand what the band is going to sound like before they hear them, fine. Use them as strict rules and you are stupid.

This misses part of the point for me.

Did you read the debate right from the beginning though? We were discussing whether it was ridiculous to use dark or gothic themes in music, whether it was only acceptable to use such subject matter and imagery if you were openly taking the piss in a kind of cartoon-mockery manner by portraying ridiculously OTT characters, the likes of Lordi and GWAR.

Escalating the extremity of heavy metal for the sake of some sort of plastic acceptance wasn

Hatebreed aren't even a metal band, they're some sort of modern hardcore. And no, because it's loud and has guitars doesn't make it heavy metal.

But Modern Hardcore is Metal though, isn't it. Hatebreed certainly think so...

Since forming in 1994... metal stalwarts Hatebreed have constantly crushed with every subsequent album.

Hatebreed aren't even a metal band, they're some sort of modern hardcore. And no, because it's loud and has guitars doesn't make it heavy metal.

But Modern Hardcore is Metal though, isn't it. Hatebreed certainly think so...

Since forming in 1994... metal stalwarts Hatebreed have constantly crushed with every subsequent album.

Bear in mind that this is the guy who said if you don't like Burzum then music isn't for you.

I once saw Immortal support Morbid Angel and they looked like they were having a great time, all smiles and massive grins.

• Moderators
How many rappers try to shout the loudest about guns and hoes, because the founding fathers of that style planted the seeds of such subject matter when pioneering the genre?

None. Bad example.

How many punks try to act more obnoxious and have bigger and more colourful hair than the last lot did?

I don't know, how many? that's not really an example, is it?

Personally, I despise the Arctic Monkeys, and their attempts to

• Paid Members
Do they do that? Their first album is one of the only good indie rock albums I've heard... well, probably ever, but then I hate indie rock for the most part.

No they don't. It's not so much a bad example from Richie, it's more a case that he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about and hasn't actually listened to any of their stuff.

Go back to the old horror films, Richie.

Nobody said it did.

The "Hatebreed aren't even a metal band" argument is so typical of metal fans and bands themselves. This desperation to not fall under the "heavy metal" banner and instead conjure up ridiculous genre titles is embarassing.

While i have seen such stupidity (the hatebreed thing being one of them..) there is also a need for having so many subgenre titles even if a lot of them sound silly, metal is a pretty fucking diverse genre and the difference between bands can be as big as ANY genre gap. A band like Nadja are as different from Iron Maiden as Taylor Swift is so you can't exactly lump them into the same genre.

• Paid Members

I agree with Merzbow that the large number of sub-genres are necessitated simply because there are so much differences in sound between different metal styles. If anyone's interested and has a spare 15 minutes check this wee entertaining site out http://mapofmetal.com/#/home Fair enough folk metal and celtic metal for example have a lot of similarities but try folk metal compared to tech death or power metal compared to funeral doom - they sound completely different, yet fall under the Heavy Metal banner.

Archived