Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I go to London every now and then for shows or signings, but often find myself not knowing where to start when it comes to finding cool places to go while in the middle of it all, and rely on McDonalds or something quick for food.

My friend is quite into indie & rock music, like Manic Street Preachers, Placebo and Brand New. Film-wise, he enjoys Michael Haneke and other subversive, lesser known stuff.

• Paid Members
Can anyone recommend any good places to go to eat in central London, that aren't massively expensive? Possibly american-style food. And not McDonalds.

Also, any film or music sights or exhibitions that you think are worth it?

My favourite restaurant there is the Ivy, its not as pricey as you'd imagine and is more like an upmarket pub than posh dining. The Shepherds Pie is something else.

• Paid Members
I went over for my brother's wedding a couple of years ago. I couldn't really tell you what it's like for a stag do, but I can confirm accommodation, food and beer are all about as cheap as you'll find in a European city these days (though I'm sure there are some exceptions!).

It's by no means a wasteland, though there are large amounts of nothing between the towns and cities. We stayed in Wroclaw for a few nights, which is probably comparable to Sheffield or maybe Leeds in terms of size and layout (if that's any use), and has shit loads of bars, clubs, hotels etc. Although I haven't been to any other cities yet, I can imagine they're all broadly similar.

Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

Ah, cool!

If anything I just wanted to know if its A) nice and B) safe enough to hang about in. I'm leaving it with my best man, but otherwise again it'll only be a small group heading over, so I'm hoping to keep it fairly quiet, as apposed to the stereotypical British people abroad smashing shit up, and so on.

Edit: After looking it up a bit, Wroclaw sounds fairly decent! Have been told the time we're looking into going may be when all the students are back home/out partying so might be a good atmosphere as well. Have seen it might be useful to learn a few phrases, and basically not be a massive bunch of twats to everybody, but I think that's fair enough.

Thanks!

I reckon there's a thread in this - good places to eat in London and environs.

I was recommended an amazing Taiwanese place called Leong's Legend Continues, in Chinatown. Fucking great food, not that pricey and not somewhere you need to dress up for. Definitely recommend.

• Paid Members
Found a great place near Oxford Circus tube station called the Cape Town Fish Market. Great food, great prices and something a little different to your usual steak and chips. Try the potjiekos - it's gorgeous.

We went there for my little sister's birthday, it's great. You can get a pretty decent deal there if you book it through Top Table.

Also, part of my current job is researching restaurants in London, and, in some cases, writing the odd review. There's a place call Flat Iron Steak in Soho which is awesome. Sorry for the shill, but here's hoping this helps (and any feedback on my writing wouldn't be bad, either):

What

Just added two new cd albums onto my iTunes but they don't transfer across to my iPod Touch when I connect it and click Sync. The 'syncing' takes about 10 seconds, for some reason it's not picking up there's new songs to be transferred. Any ideas? I've tried using 2 different iPod cables and same thing happens so no problems there.

• Paid Members

I know that some members on here are pretty nifty with Photoshop, any chance someone would volunteer their services for a very basic photoshop job?

My friend logged into his Facebook account only iPad and forgot to logout, so obviously I have to do something to his page. I'm hoping I can give someone a photo of him and they can make it somewhat realistic looking to have him wearing either a Liverpool or Man City shirt.

Any takers?

Archived