Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Moderators

Assuming the problem getting a SIM is because it's a micro SIM and not because they generally don't have PAYG?

Because then you could just pick up a cheap phone here, so you know the problem is sorted before you get there and then get the SIM when you get there. Alternatively, you get a SIM-chopper for a couple quid (easy to find on eBay) that can cut a normal SIM into a micro, and then you chop the PAYG SIM that you buy out there.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit strange this. But would anyone know where I could a find a 'Boss, you have recieved a text message' ringtone in a loud whispering creepy African voice?

I say this because I've been reading Dom Joly's latest book 'Scary Monsters and Super Creeps: In Search of the World's Most Hideous Beasts' and there's a part in it where he mentions some big African bloke from the Congo having that ringtone. I have this fantastic voice of it in my head, which I won't be able to get rid of until I find the sodding thing.

• Paid Members

I'm doing a birthday card for a Bond fan, and includes the poster for each film but with the title tweaked so it takes the piss out of him for being old (e.g. Dentures Are Forever, Oldfinger etc). Can anyone think of a pun for Skyfall and Tomorrow Never Dies??

Recently bought a laptop with Windows 7. I installed Google Chrome as that is my preferred web browser, but it keeps crashing. I get the error "Whoa! Google Chrome has crashed". I've searched through Googles list of errors and followed the instructions on the few ways to rectify it, but none have worked. I've posted the question on the Google forums but no reply yet. I'm having to use Firefox because I prefer it over IE, but I still would prefer to have Chrome. Anyone had the same problem and know how to fix it?

• Paid Members

When ever i start downloading something my internet cuts off. It's never happened to me before and in the past i used to download a lot more.

Think it's doing it when i use youtube too. Any ideas?

• Paid Members
Assuming the problem getting a SIM is because it's a micro SIM and not because they generally don't have PAYG?

Because then you could just pick up a cheap phone here, so you know the problem is sorted before you get there and then get the SIM when you get there. Alternatively, you get a SIM-chopper for a couple quid (easy to find on eBay) that can cut a normal SIM into a micro, and then you chop the PAYG SIM that you buy out there.

I had no idea the SIM-cutters were so cheap! Ordered one just now.

The other problem I had was that I thought my phone would be locked to my network, which it is, but I just rang them and they've sent me a code to unlock it without asking any questions, so that's pretty handy. And now I'm going to be fully contactable whilst I'm away.

Unfortunately this also means I have the ability to drunk text when I spend two days on a bender in Las Vegas...

Two of my remaining three creditors have offered me final settlement offers - I am currently in the last four months of paying off the third.

These are Credit Management companies who bought the debt from the original source. One of them are offering

I work alongside the debt recovery department for a high street bank and, yes, pretty much. Once they've established you can't pay back what they want, a token pound a month and a list of your monthly incoming and outgoings keeps them at bay, they will start looking at removing what they can.

In my experience, it is usually about half the debt is what they take as a full and final settlement. This is of course if you genuinely can't afford it. If you can, they'll want the lot.

And yeah, Chest. Your credit rating gets destroyed. Think of it like building up a no claims bonus on your car insurance, then deliberately crashing your motor for the payout.

Well as I was stupid enough to run away from my debt for a while rather than communicate my difficulties my debts were sold on to such companies. I am not proud of this - hitting forty this year and still stuck with debts from my folly fifteen years ago and if I do get away with this then I have truly taken action I despise. I saw my parents work hard for what they have

When I put the scenario to one member of staff that if a debtor were to win a fortune on the lottery then phone up to request a settlement figure would there be any subsequent action liable only to be told no. That is shocking.

My credit rating is screwed anyway and the six years that this would sit against me fucks me should I meet someone and attempt to joint finance a mortgage, holiday or even obtaining insurance.

Archived