Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Does anyone have a proper translation of the full Anders Lindegaard blog post that he has written in the last couple of days about homosexuality in football? Google Translate makes it completely unreadable and the BBC only has a shortened version.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Anyone on here work in marketing? It's a career path i want to pursue but feel a bit typecast at the minute.

I realise there are qualifications in marketing, not sure how essential they are to crack the field, but have just put in an application for a role where it is 'desirable' but not essential and wondered if there's any particular aspects i need to focus on or buzzwords to drop in if i land an interview.

I've done a fair bit of media and marketing, albeit not professionally so i have experiences to draw upon - would just like to add some meat to the bones so i sound legit if/when the time comes.

Thanks in advance.

One for you people that know stuff about TV and films.

When arranging the opening credits, you get your lead cast and whatever, and then at the very end there's often a "and John Smith as Sgt Phillips". What's the reasoning behind this, especially if Sgt Phillips appears in pretty much every episode over more than one season?

I think it's usually because, although they aren't the star(s) per se, they bring a certain name value to the production that makes them more significant than other supporting actors, and so they get a separate billing at the end.

To add to this, one a DVD commentary of a US sitcom, I forget which. It was basically said that the main cast, ie those listed without the 'and', get signed up for the season and appear in the credits come what may ( this depends on agent negotiations as well and non appearances during that season) The 'and' people arent centrally contracted and therefore are paid a different way per ep rather than centrally contracted, thus the, 'and' thing is applied. This can apply to people who appear in one episode or many episodes of the same thing. If they aren't core cast and on contract then they will appear as 'and' in the credits as opposed to Special Guest Star (though And and Special Guest Star can be interchangable depending on how agent negotiations pan out).

• Moderators

It must vary from time to time though, as there was no way Tom Bosley wasn't centrally contracted in Happy Days and he gets the "And Starring Tom Bosley as Howard Cunningham" at the end of the credits. Henry Winkler may also have got it as it went on, I don't remember.

• Paid Members

I always thought it had something to do with the "and starring" actor having greater fame and respect outside the other characters in the show so they get a special billing too make the most of having them about and promote the show.

It must vary from time to time though, as there was no way Tom Bosley wasn't centrally contracted in Happy Days and he gets the "And Starring Tom Bosley as Howard Cunningham" at the end of the credits. Henry Winkler may also have got it as it went on, I don't remember.

It probably does, I dont think there is a hard and fast answer, what with agents trying to get their client the best exposure possible in credits. I was only relaying the information given on the DVD, where an actor who had a speaking role in large parts of the season but wasnt prinicple cast ( wish I could remember who it was) relayed the above.

There's a bit more on the whole 'and', thing (though not much) here

I always thought it had something to do with the "and starring" actor having greater fame and respect outside the other characters in the show so they get a special billing too make the most of having them about and promote the show.

See above.

What about "introducing"? That always comes off a bit presumptuous to me.

Usually if people thought they had discovered the next George Clooney or whoever then they would use this as a way of saying look! We used them first, in an act of one-upmanship (Ronnie, what's the best way of expressing that? With or without the hyphen?) However, it very, very rarely worked. I think is used more ironically these days. Ocean's Eleven had 'Introducing Julia Roberts' in the title iirc.

Alec Baldwin gets "And Alec Baldwin" during the opening credits of 30 Rock. Surely he is contracted. Like wise with Chevy Chase and Community.

See the response to Butch.

Anyone know this tune from Match Of The Day 2? They use it to show the highlights of the Saturday games.

At 26:44

I am not exactly sure if it is from the same piece of music as the tempo sounds slightly different on MOTD2 compared to this but it is as damn close as I could find; some German Hip-Hop!

Brilliant. :laugh:

Just found out it's actually Ill manors version by Plan B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM1VyeqHrB4

• Paid Members

Does anyone on here have experience of using telecare products either previously, presently or are considering doing so in the near future? I mean things like panic buttons for the elderly if they have a fall etc which notify family members / emergency services etc.

I need to try and gather some information from users for a presentation i'm preparing, will gladly take it to PM or please feel free to message me directly.

Cheers.

• Paid Members

I just read an article about John Major saying that the Tories need to move with the times and support gay marriage, and I was reminded of something I have been meaning to ask for a while. What is the actual difference between civil partnerships and marriage? Do married couples have rights that people in civil partnerships don't?

Anyone know this tune from Match Of The Day 2? They use it to show the highlights of the Saturday games.

At 26:44

I am not exactly sure if it is from the same piece of music as the tempo sounds slightly different on MOTD2 compared to this but it is as damn close as I could find; some German Hip-Hop!

I didn't realise that Plan B so heavily ripped off another song for 'iLL Manors', though I now see it's listed on Wikipedia. Good find, El Espanacas.

Archived