Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Because we've always called them seasons when referring to sports, but to describe TV schedules it's an Americanism we've adopted more recently and a lot of people don't like that. Doesn't bother me personally. I call things whatever the fuck HBO tells me to call them and like it because HBO is better than me.

That doesn't really explain why, though, it just reiterates that people do it. Purely due to hating change?

Anyway, actual pressing question: Some Youtube videos aren't playing for me. How do I make them? Specifically, the DDP/Jake Roberts one and the Zack Ryder Hoeski one that have been posted recently in On-Topic. Other videos posted between them play fine, but clicking on those two takes me to their Youtube page, only the video instantly turns into a plain black box. No bars, no player controls etc. Oddly, I've come across the Ryder one embedded on another site and it works if I play it that way, but if I click to watch it on Youtube's site, just the black box.

• Paid Members

People (often of the I HATE AMERICA div ilk you mention) complain about it because it's an Americanism we've adopted. You asked why they complain and that's why, it's not because TV seasons do not necessarily line up with the actual seasons or any similar logical/semi-logical reason. People get pissy when you use "fall season" to describe the American Autumn TV schedule as well, even when you're specifically talking about American networks and it therefore makes sense to use their terminology.

People (often of the I HATE AMERICA div ilk you mention) complain about it because it's an Americanism we've adopted. You asked why they complain and that's why, it's not because TV seasons do not necessarily line up with the actual seasons or any similar logical/semi-logical reason.

I knew it wasn't that, because football doesn't either. I just wondered if there was any actual logic behind it other than "they're not cookies, they're fucking BISCUITS." Anyway, none of that makes my Youtube work. Make my Youtube work.

Surely the reason that some people get annoyed with the use of "season" for a TV show is because we did use (and still use) "series" and it is perfectly fine and functional. Essentially, "season" is now another way of saying the exact same thing. All it does is prove that we know what Americans call a TV series - pretty pointless.

I should say, it doesn't bother me in the least, but i understand why it might. It would be like British people starting to call a lift an "elevator" for no good reason. We have the word lift, everyone knows what it means and there is no need to incorporate the American version.

• Moderators
Surely the reason that some people get annoyed with the use of "season" for a TV show is because we did use (and still use) "series" and it is perfectly fine and functional. Essentially, "season" is now another way of saying the exact same thing.

Not really, because -- other than to deliberately uppity Brits -- 'series' now refers to the completed show as a whole. If you're talking about the season finale, it's the final episode of that year, but series finale is the final episode ever. Something being renewed for a new series wouldn't make any linguistic sense. Regardless of how the words used to be used over here, it's been co-opted as the correct terminology for the television industry, in the same way that movie budgets or box-office are always denoted in the dollar amount.

Surely the reason that some people get annoyed with the use of "season" for a TV show is because we did use (and still use) "series" and it is perfectly fine and functional. Essentially, "season" is now another way of saying the exact same thing.

Not really, because -- other than to deliberately uppity Brits -- 'series' now refers to the completed show as a whole. If you're talking about the season finale, it's the final episode of that year, but series finale is the final episode ever. Something being renewed for a new series wouldn't make any linguistic sense. Regardless of how the words used to be used over here, it's been co-opted as the correct terminology for the television industry, in the same way that movie budgets or box-office are always denoted in the dollar amount.
I don't think that's true really. If you look at TV listings or things such as 4 On Demand or the BBC iplayer, they list shows under their "series" number not a season number. DVDs are also sold as "series" not as seasons in the UK when you buy one individual season/series of a show. With larger boxsets they advertise things as "Complete Blackadder - All 4 Series" not "The whole series, seasons 1-4".Amazon is a perfect example... UK sitcomsAlso, UK TV news sites like Digitalspy only ever refer to series of shows, not seasons, when talking about UK shows.It might be changing in general use thanks to facebook, twitter and the general intertwining of what we watch these days (with many people downloading whatever they fancy from whatever country), but "series" is still pretty much the norm for all traditional media and advertising in the UK.

• Paid Members
Photobucket is fucking shit.

How do you change the size of your pictures on there? Either on upload or after, I don't mind which.

After upload, if you hover your cursor over a thumbnail a little wheel appears - click on that and it should give you an 'edit' option.

Or just put the image in PicMonkey and edit it there before you upload it as it's better.

Yeah, do, please.

Regarding old exam papers, firstly sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been busy. Secondly, OCR keep an archive but only over the last 15 years, and of those only the last 2 years of exam papers are available for the public. AQA keep an archive of the last 10 years but again, other than the last two years are not available to the pubic. The person I asked didn't know about EDEXCEL or WJEC whicare the other two big exam boards.

Archived