Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Often, the reason someone isn't employed is down to chemistry, charisma, race, personal hygiene, etc. In those circumstances employers will often fall back to standard refusal grounds like 'too much interest in immediate promotion'. Don't assume they're being honest with you. 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That is very interesting. I've got more than enough confidence and common sense  to say that it's not my personal hygiene. I do have a bit of stutter/stammer though, which pops up whenever it feels like it, so If i'm getting canned because I stumbled over my words a few times or took the time to slow my speech down, then that's a tad worrying. 

Thanks for everybody's contributions to this by the way, it's massively appreciated. 

• Paid Members

Keep fighting the good fight, Ralphy! I always highlight my first job, which I held for about 8 years, in that it was very heavily front-facing customer sales focused (with weekly targets and budgets) and that I progressed up their ladder during my tenure. It's to show that I've learnt to work well around any communication issues that I may have, no matter how minor or major. 

2 hours ago, Ralphy said:

amazon currently have an offer on, spend £30 or more on gift cards and get £6 off qualifying orders once its been purchased. If i buy the gift card, and send it to myself, can i then redeem it on the same account i purchased the gift card from? i don't want to buy it and find out i have purchased a code i cant redeem!  There is something i want and its £40 im hoping this is a yes and i can save myself a few quid 

Yes you should be able to spend it fine, I once bought a gift card for one of my sons teachers at school as an end of term thing then decided to just give them some other tat instead and bought something myself with the gift card with no issue.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You just need a normal provisional license, but that just entitles you to do your CBT. And then you can ride a bike with a small engine with L plates until you do your theory and practical test.

Got it. Thought that was the case but came across some poorly worded article that seemed to be saying I needed an entirely separate motorcycle provisional.

Off to do the CBT next week then.

• Moderators

The CBT was harder than I thought it would be. I thought it would just be a tick box exercise. I was shit, it was not a good learning environment for me. The guy running it was a massive prick and I was hungover and had underestimated it. Went much better the second time....

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The CBT was harder than I thought it would be. I thought it would just be a tick box exercise. I was shit, it was not a good learning environment for me. The guy running it was a massive prick and I was hungover and had underestimated it. Went much better the second time....

The place I've found is pretty highly rated. It's a full day thing: some classroom time to start, then off-road getting to grips with the bikes, followed by more classroom time and ending with a 2 hour supervised drive around town before its decided if you do well enough to earn the CBT.

Only £100. That, plus the bike I have my eye on whilst I will be restricted to 125cc, means all in I'm probably looking at spending a total of 1,500 max to get myself on the road. That's not including safety clothing, which I plan to spend a lot on because I really want to be safe if I happen to come off the thing.

Certainly seems a good deal easier than what it takes to get a car licence. And I am sick to death of getting around this city using public transport. Plus my therapist said he reckons I've lost my sense of curiosity, so this is also probably a manifestation of that.

• Paid Members

Did my CBT up in here in deepest, darkest Yorkshire about 15 years ago, and the bloke doing the test told us all in the waiting room it was impossible to fail. We did an hour in the classroom, and as long as we all looked like we were listening we were fine. That followed by about an hour driving around cones, and as long as none of us fell off, we would move onto the road(if anyone did fall off, they would do it again until they didn't). Then it was an hour of road riding, and he said as long as we didn't cause a crash/any damage, he'd pass us...

Looking back now, it was very maturish and dodgy, but I was over the moon at the time!

• Chest Rockwell changed the title to Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.
  • Chest Rockwell locked this topic

Archived