Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

Because it's 1999, and Limp Bizkit have just released 'N TOGETHER NOW' with Method Man, Enzo and Cass have decided that their new names are nZo and CazXL, and together they make up the FreeAgentZ.

Fucking hell...

https://www.cagesideseats.com/indies-independent-wrestling-indy-promotions/2019/4/11/18306286/enzo-cass-promo-reveal-new-name-tag-team-freeagentz

7 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Never change MPDTT, you daft ROH apologist. ROH had their biggest ever opportunity to make a HUGE impression, gain some much-need traction and prove their doubters wrong, but they fucked it, massively and royally. You couldn't even be arsed to defend it, it was that bad.

And I'm not going to mention the pre-show Rambo that had Ishii, Suzuki, Liger and Muta mucking around with Kenny King, The Kingdom, Rhett Titus and the fucking Beer City Bruiser, as well as the rest of ROH's bland undercard. What an embarrassment.

Not even John Pollock, who always tries his best to be impartial and fair, could muster the enthusiasm to properly defend the ROH side. 

So it's a show of two halves; New Japan nailed it. They had matches that ranged from good (Jay White vs Okada) to great (Ibushi vs Naito) to downright fantastic (Dragon Lee vs Ishiimori vs Bandido). Ospreay vs Cobb was a hot opener that should've set the tone for the rest of the show, but ROH followed up that firey start with their own dirge. 

The women's match; a disaster.

The Bully Ray angle (including the shit with the rapper and the awful, awful post-match); a mess. The actual match is something that would be up my street but was built up and delivered so incredibly poorly that I couldn't give a toss about it.

The ladder match; an overly long slog that failed to deliver either a) A story based ladder match or B) a wild spot fest. I fucking LOVE ladder matches (I cannot stress that enough), and I find it really easy to focus on their positives, but this managed to get a fail on all fronts.  

The four way tag; good until the insanely hair-brained idea of having Enzo and Cass run in afterwards. What should've been a brilliant moment for PCO, whose storied journey back to the top could be the subject of a documentary series, was drowned out by ENZO AND CASS. FUCKING ENZO AND CASS. 

ROH went out with the specific agenda of appealing to a market who have no interest in ROH, and will only pass off these antics as desperate pandering. Any fans they gained from that show will be offset by the huge numbers who will continue to ignore ROH or stop watching all together.

Despite New Japan's involvement, I'd still consider this as a Worst Show Of The Year contender, just due to ROH's involvement. What a catastrophe.

Greetings from Houston, Texas @Accident Prone. Loved the show live, not watched it back, but I really got caught up in it - I enjoyed the show. I've read a lot of the critisism since, but I don't think its anywhere near as bad as you make out above. The womens match was terrible, the Enzo  / Cass involvement is dreadful, but overall I enjoyed the show.

I may drive to Texas City on Saturday for the Reality of Wrestling promotion (Booker T's outfit) - they have a show on on Saturday featuring absolutely nobody I've ever heard of..... 

If it were any other promotion (of any note) I’d say that Delirious’ position would be in danger off the back of ‘having their pants pulled down’ on their biggest ever stage, but it would appear (and I specifically use that word) that he well and truly has his feet under the table in ROH.

I mean, he’s (in total) been heavily involved in booking (under Jim Cornette) as well as Head Booker (before and since Cornette) longer than Gabe Sapolsky, and I don’t think the shows (especially weekly TV) are much to write home about. 

For the time it has been in existence and what it could (and maybe should) be I don’t find it massively inspiring. 

Back to my original point, seeing as there doesn’t seem to be much risk of him going, I hope he can find something he can spark to life. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, MPDTT said:

Greetings from Houston, Texas @Accident Prone. Loved the show live, not watched it back, but I really got caught up in it - I enjoyed the show. I've read a lot of the critisism since, but I don't think its anywhere near as bad as you make out above. The womens match was terrible, the Enzo  / Cass involvement is dreadful, but overall I enjoyed the show.

I may drive to Texas City on Saturday for the Reality of Wrestling promotion (Booker T's outfit) - they have a show on on Saturday featuring absolutely nobody I've ever heard of..... 

Big fan of folk trying to 'big time' themselves.

I think all the critique being leveled at ROH is very fair. They had a chance to do a a big Paul Heyman from Beyond Mat ("Fuck you, you're wrong! Fuck you, we're right!") but they chose to shit the bed instead. As I said before, the amount of fans they've gained from that show will be offset but the amount of fans they've lost and left still unimpressed. Their roster looks piss-poor, there was no reason to care about any stories or characters afterwards and they're trying to be a second rate TNA tribute act. Awful.

Whilst you're in Houston though, make sure to check out Sneaky Pete's Dualing Piano Bar. It's a brilliant night, the drinks are good and they're a great bunch of lads.

2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Big fan of folk trying to 'big time' themselves.

I think all the critique being leveled at ROH is very fair. They had a chance to do a a big Paul Heyman from Beyond Mat ("Fuck you, you're wrong! Fuck you, we're right!") but they chose to shit the bed instead. As I said before, the amount of fans they've gained from that show will be offset but the amount of fans they've lost and left still unimpressed. Their roster looks piss-poor, there was no reason to care about any stories or characters afterwards and they're trying to be a second rate TNA tribute act. Awful.

Whilst you're in Houston though, make sure to check out Sneaky Pete's Dualing Piano Bar. It's a brilliant night, the drinks are good and they're a great bunch of lads.

Thats tonight sorted then - thanks! We were trying to figure out where to go!

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, MPDTT said:

Thats tonight sorted then - thanks! We were trying to figure out where to go!

No worries! There's not much to do in Houston as it's primary a business hub so you have to really look around for decent places. There's a few cool bars scattered by the baseball stadium too from what I remember.

I was at exactly the right age and disposition to absolutely love the first 3 years of ROH. I still consider those 3 years to be the height of my fandom and I still love the workrate based style.

The ROH half of the G1 special was an absolute fucking embarrassment. They've got a handful of really good guys but Jesus Christ about half the roster are absolutely worthless on that evidence. It's saying something that the gaggle of teenagers, rookies and journeymen running out of a South Philly leisure centre looked more big time than that lot they sent into The Garden.

On 4/12/2019 at 7:32 AM, Accident Prone said:

No worries! There's not much to do in Houston as it's primary a business hub so you have to really look around for decent places. There's a few cool bars scattered by the baseball stadium too from what I remember.

This city is pretty soulless. And its and endless sprawl - places 5 miles apart are considered "across the street". Madness. The Woodlands are really nice. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch the war of the world's show last night I thoght over all good show... to be honest I'm not sold on Tracey Williams he's good but the are 50 other indy guys that could take that spot and Williams wouldn't be missed..there building up pco and Brody King witch is a step in the right direction . But You can clearly see the lack depth of the roster in other areas since scu bucks and cody f'ed off.. I love Jay and Cobb and silas young and the briscoe's but roh is just lacking something at the moment. 

Edited by kidzero

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...