Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

On 17/12/2017 at 12:05 AM, Supremo said:

I love Dalton Castle, but that title win felt super underwhelming. I don’t know the storylines, but the crowd reaction suggested they weren’t expecting this and it wasn’t the right time. Dalton’s entrance was awesome though.

I think it's a bit late rather than too early or anything. Dalton was probably the biggest thing in ROH in 2015 bar maybe the Bucks, but they stalled on him and the act hasn't really developed a whole lot since. Dalton is wonderfully charismatic and a terrific athlete but he does kind of fall into the trap of 'once you've seen a few of his matches, you've basically seen them all' and I'm saying that as someone who considers one of my absolute current favs just because I love the character. Think he's got time to further improve though

Can't really be doing with Cody, don't get me wrong he's done fine for this company but come Wrestle Kingdom time I'll be wanting him to fuck right off. Disappointed the previously ROH Championship match at WK12 between Cody v Ibushi is now a "special attraction" matches that's not going to attract any special attention. Give us Dalton v Ibushi, that sounds ace. I'd appreciate him going back to WWE, it just feels like where he should be, I find it quite hard to digest him in indie main events and NJPW and that.

Anyway, decent show that was. Not sure I can recall a ROH event where the presentation looked so good. Lots of nice entrances between Taven, Martinez & Dalton. I'd rather have that gritty 2002-2008 product back but fair fucks, this was a slick looking show. More pyro than WWE's had in ages too. Goes a long way.

War Machine are ace, Hanson in particular is the man. Recently watched War Machine v London Riots from Progress a few months ago, they had that crowd literally leaping for joy at points - brilliant. I'd like to see them in WWE too but I wonder if it might step on Bludgeon Brothers' toes, with their somewhat similar looks. But they're the best tag team not named The Usos at the moment in my book. I also love Best Friends. Their match wasn't amazing but I just love them both, heel Machine Guns made for a nice change too.

On that note, the Lethal/Scurll match surprised me. Think Lethal has been quite a dull babyface really so seeing Marty relight a spark in him probably made that my match of the night.

Don't care about that Young Bucks spot, I'm sure I've seen them do it before anyway, maybe a couple of times. Just the hot thing to debate about right now ala Ricochet/Ospreay, but this time I don't even have an opinion. I like the Bucks' goofiness but I can give or take it having seen so much of it by now really. The real travesty was the post-match heel turn from Scorpio Sky on Flip Gordon, nobody gave a rat's arse of a shit. Camera missed it too.

Anything else? Taven looks oddly promising, didn't think I'd ever be saying that. Really like Punishment Martinez. Cool look, cool name, badass deep voice, tall as fuck but can pop the modern crowds with some big movez - Trips could do a lot worse than to sign him up. I thought I'd heard Bully Ray retired recently so was a bit surprised to see him and similarly fat and old Dreamer doing Sandman's entrance, decent brawl though but shame about the finish.

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members
On 17/12/2017 at 12:05 AM, Supremo said:

I dip into ROH every now and then just to see the current climate. From watching this show, I suspect it’s only a matter of time before NXT come sniffing for those War Machine guys. Seeing those two big, bearded bastards doing all those fun high spots, it makes it even more bewildering that they chose to bring in Adam Cole’s faceless, boring mates to be the focus of the NXT tag division.

Just call me William Regal - after saying this the other day it’s now come out that War Machine are finishing up their dates and are heading to WWE. I’m not surprised. Only seeing them this one time, they looked like a great act to bring in. I hate to say it because putting anyone with Bray Wyatt is almost certain death, but they strike me as the type of guys that WWE could use to make a new Wyatt Family. Big, bearded hosses that can do all the fun high spots in multi-man matches.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...